This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090615 - Ticketing Systems

edited June 2009 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we discuss the nightmare that is the ticketing system. In the news, OS X Snow Leopard is going to be a $29 upgrade, and the Iranian revolution will be Twittervised.

Comments

• Scott's Thing - Flixel
    Rym's Thing - Fordlandia

I liked the lengthy tech news.
  • OS X Snow Leopardis going to be a $29 upgrade
    It would be awesome if it came with the new iLife, but it unfortunately does not. I'm definitely upgrading, though.
  • It would be awesome if it came with the new iLife, but it unfortunately does not. I'm definitely upgrading, though.
    Wait, are you telling me that even if I upgrade I don't get the Exchange support in mail and such? WTF. There's almost no reason for me to upgrade this work machine, then.
  • edited June 2009
    Wait, are you telling me that even if I upgrade I don't get the Exchange support in mail and such? WTF. There's almost no reason for me to upgrade this work machine, then.
    iLife contains the programs like Garage Band and iMovie. If you go here and scroll down to applications, you will see that Mail is included. I just wanted to get the upgraded versions of Garage Band, iMovie, and iPhoto without paying 80 dollars for them seperately.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • iLife contains the programs like Garage Band and iMovie. If you gohereand scroll down to applications, you will see that Mail is included. I just wanted to get the upgraded versions of Garage Band, iMovie, and iPhoto without paying 80 dollars for them seperately.
    Oh, who gives a crap? Those three programs are useless crap anyway. I'd uninstall them if I knew how.
  • As far as I know, you can do a search for each program and just drag all the associated files and folders to the trash. Not an elegant way to uninstall (le sigh), but it works.
  • Apple doesn't want to sell their OS for non-Apple computers since it will increase their support calls & complexity. Right now they've got a limited ecosystem to support since they essentially control the hardware & software. It also helps to increase the stability, or apparent stability, of their OS. MS has to support a nearly infinite number of hardware configurations. Apple would have to increase the price of the OS to cover the cost of the support infrastructure.
  • Apple doesn't want to sell their OS for non-Apple computers since it will increase their support calls & complexity. Right now they've got a limited ecosystem to support since they essentially control the hardware & software. It also helps to increase the stability, or apparent stability, of their OS. MS has to support a nearly infinite number of hardware configurations. Apple would have to increase the price of the OS to cover the cost of the support infrastructure.
    It is true that Apple does gain some of these benefits from having a limited hardware ecosystem. However, their primary benefit is that they are able to created an integrated hardware-software experience. They can make design decisions in the OS that make assumptions about the hardware someone is using.

If they sold OSX for all kinds of Intel hardware, they really wouldn't have to do too much work. Most hardware these days follows various standards, and can be supported by generic drivers. Just about any storage, sound, or network device will work right away. I mean, Macs already have to support these sorts of things via USB. They would need special drivers to support 3D in video cards, but Mac OSX already supports ATi and NVidia cards. Any other specialized features for hardware would have to be provided by third parties.

Microsoft's real problem isn't supporting tons of hardware because third parties do all the work. Their real problem is supporting old versions of Windows. There are Windows 3.1 applications that you can install and run in Vista, and even Windows 7. Why? OS X has consistently cut off backwards compatibility with old softwares. When it first came out, they virtualized the old OS X, much like the Palm Pre is virtualizing the old Palm OS. I'm pretty sure they've since gotten rid of it, because I don't see it anywhere on this Macbook.
  • I work for a fairly large engineering firm, and our IT department uses Track-It! as their ticketing system. As an end-user I have not come across any problems with this ticketing system. Have you (Rym or Scott) used or checked into this system?
  • Ditto on our end. We're a marketing firm and IT here uses Track-It to keep track of the unwashed masses. It doesn't have the automated email escalation, and does have a "set level of urgency" feature but we don't run into the "everything is a high pri" issues you were mentioning. Otherwise seems pretty stable. I had to concur with Bobblun that as an end user I haven't run into anything odd with it. I keep all my tickets color coded so I have a visual cue as to what i should pay more attention to in the queue. Only annoyance is, since I use it on my iPhone as well as my Virtual box, it kicks me out (only allows a person to be logged into one "box" at a time).
  • Scrym, I remember you saying that you did not know whether the listeners cared for these recent tech shows. I just wanted to let you know I really enjoy them, especially working in I.T myself and sharing your thoughts/annoyances.
  • I'm also an avid listener, more so on Mondays, since there's almost always something new in the main bit to look into (or look back on) and discuss pick apart, and solid commentary on what makes you two think. (I'm also an I.T. guy here.)