This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

So I picked up one of those Android phones

Comments

• Has anyone on here picked up one of the Nvidia Shield Tablets? I am wondering if there are any deal breaking bugs as it is currently in the lead for my new tablet, finally replacing my old Viewsonic G-Tablet
  • Dropped the iPhone for a Galaxy S5. So far seems like the right choice since I was mostly using Google and non-apple apps on the iPhone anyway.
  • Do you mean you were using Chrome, or do you mean you were using Google?

Because you should be using Google on everything.

I thought Chrome on the iPhone was garbage.
  • I was using all Google apps over the apple ones. Chrome, yes, sucked on iPhone. But it was still better than Safari.
  • I've used iOS Chrome since it came out. Safari is garbage.
  • I dunno, I think Safari on iOS isn't too bad. It's not very good on desktop for sure.
  • MATATAT said:

I dunno, I think Safari on iOS isn't too bad. It's not very good on desktop for sure.

iOS Safari lacks the most important feature, synchronization with Chrome desktop.
  • Apreche said:

I've used iOS Chrome since it came out. Safari is garbage.

Too bad iOS Chrome is slow as molasses going uphill in January.
  • Apreche said:

It's exactly the same as Safari.
  • I'm thinking of getting either the HTC M8 or the Samsung Galaxy Note 4. Thoughts?
  • One week in with the Moto X and I'm still madly in love with the device.
  • I'm thinking of getting either the HTC M8 or the Samsung Galaxy Note 4. Thoughts?

Samsung's Touchwiz is really shitty.
    If you can get a stock Google version it's great and Samsung usually gives you the best internals.

HTC M8 in comparison will have lower battery life and has a lower resolution camera (that can do some pretty cool things). You also can't open it up to add extra memory or change the battery. It is better in every other way. HTC's sense is probably 2nd only to Motorola's skin. The problem with getting the HTC in a stock android version is that the camera takes a massive hit in quality and features.

I have an M7, the M8 is better but I would go for one of the Motorola phones at the moment (as the next big HTC release is rumoured to be soonish). If you want your phone to sound the best and look the best then you have to go HTC.

If you can stand crappy software are going to be rooting, go for a Sony Xperia for amazing hardware or the Samsung Galaxy Note 4.

If you don't want a ROM on your phone or can't stand bad software -
    Nexus 6
    If you need a slightly smaller handset go for the Moto X.

I've got an M8. Love the phone though I would recommend flashing cyanogenmod although that may just be me. If you are looking for stock Android I know for most carrier derivatives of this phone you can flash a GPE ROM that will give you stock Android. If you have any specific questions about it PM me.
  • sK0pe said:

HTC M8..... You also can't open it up to add extra memory

If you mean an SD card you actually can do that on the M8

My thought is get a Nexus 6 if you like the phablet form factor.
  • I may be getting a job that requires disabling my camera (secure facility, security clearances, etc)

I'm told there are apps that do it, but, if I can't re-enable the camera at home then I'm boned, I need to take pictires and video daily for my other business endeavors.

Anyone got experience with such circumstsnces? Or am I gonna need a work line?
  • If you can reenable it at home you can do it at work, which makes your phone a security risk.
  • Yeah, I figure so. but like after spending way too long browsing apps, found there's one or two thatvlet you tellit where work is and will disable the phone camera within a certain radius, as well as apparently blocks acess to mess with the settings when you're there.

Sure I can go home, dis able it, then go back but then I'd be non compliant if checked. Meanwhile if I had mal-intent I'd probably nit be worried about silly camera phone protocol.

From what I gather the security people mostly want to check that the phone has no camera app readily available, or any program that can access it is unable to do so.

It's sort of otherwise scouts honor to say you'll keep it that way.

It used to be you had to drill out the lens or epoxy over it. But I think higher ups getting fancy smart phones started seeing how ridiculous it was to drill out their shiny new iphones and such, and got apps to do a soft disable.

Anyone determined can always reboot the phone fresh.
  • Get a burner. Or just don't bring your phone to work and tell your employer to get you a work phone.
  • edited November 2014
    Any facility like that I've been to didn't allow outside phones at all, regardless of camera. Only special issue blackberries were allowed. They didn't search me, but I would have been in big trouble if I had brought my phone in and they found out.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Is your job worth more than a second phone or camera?
  • edited November 2014
    Well if I do end up in the job I'll have to find out what security people and workers there actually say. The safe option is just get a burner phone, but it's premature to just decide on that: no-one I know who works there seems to have one. They just said they had some app. But yet I recall seeing them take videos and such with their phones... so who knows.

Other 'adopting Android' things I'm noticing: talk-to-text is way better than Siri was

autocorrect is way worse than on iOS tho... to the point I talk to my phone about as often as type on it.
    Post edited by SWATrous on
  • Innovative use of using a secondary e-ink screen in a phone.

The phone itself is too expensive for the hardware but it's nice to see real innovation.
  • Got that sweet, sweet lollipop today on the 2nd gen Moto X. Didn't get a notification about it or anything, I've just been checking in settings for updates every other day or so.
  • Just picked up a Galaxy Light for $30 on Black Friday, now I just need to get a custom ROM working. Odin keeps giving me md5 errors with the download.
  • Matt said:

Got that sweet, sweet lollipop today on the 2nd gen Moto X. Didn't get a notification about it or anything, I've just been checking in settings for updates every other day or so.

That's a nice phone, did you get a custom back?
  • After a sever bout of "why the fuck not?" I paid the $25 to get the teak wook back. I really like the look of it. For the metal trim (which is barely noticeable), I went green. It's nice but I couldn't care less what color that part is.
  • edited December 2014
    Matt said:

After a sever bout of "why the fuck not?" I paid the $25 to get the teak wook back. I really like the look of it. For the metal trim (which is barely noticeable), I went green. It's nice but I couldn't care less what color that part is.

I think that's an attractive quality of the phone, you can't get that level of customisation in the Australian model, I would totally do it. I think I would have gone bamboo or leather.
    Edit - if I had the chance lol.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • Apreche said:

Apreche said:

It's exactly the same as Safari.
    Necropost here, but I have to admit to being wrong when I am wrong. Prior to iOS 8, Chrome was slower than Safari on iOS because Apple wouldn't let developers use any rendering engine other than Safari's (i.e. WebKit via their own APIs) and various performmance improvements such as JavaScript optimization were only available in Safari and were not availble to others using their WebKit APIs. However, as of iOS 8, the WebKit APIs have full access to Safari's JavaScript engine and run just as fast as Safari, give or take UI-related issues. So if you've updated to iOS 8, Chrome is roughly as fast as Safari.
  • My biggest issue with iOS Chrome (may have been fixed since) was how sensitive it was to lateral movement in my thumb. When I was scrolling down on a page I would often end up switching to a different tab when I didn't want to. I don't feel like my thumb really goes diagonal all that much but it was just frustrating me to no end.