This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

F1

Comments

• I got to hear some of the F1 practice sessions, and see them from a distance. ;^)
  • Yesterday's race was great, especially the last few laps with Hamilton's incredibly quick catch-up and retaking of first after his final pit and switch to the primes. I do feel really bad for Rosberg: that is a shitty problem he had with his wheel.
  • I didn't feel bad for Rosberg at all, he's been acting like a fool this year, crashing his car and his team mate's car, costing the team points in multiple races.
  • edited November 2014

You don't see people talk about their sport like this very often at all.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • "Our team is a branding exercise for a car company and a demonstration of technology."

Yup. Soooo German.
  • Scott, what do you think about the double points in the last race?
  • Scott, what do you think about the double points in the last race?

Obviously it's complete bullshit. Why should one race count twice as much as the others?

The problem is they don't want the championship to already be decided before the final race. This does solve that problem, but also compromises the competitive integrity of the sport.

There is, of course, a solution to this that they have not considered. If you want the final race to count twice as much, that is actually OK. The only thing you have to do is make the final race twice as difficult as every other race! It could be as simple as making the race twice as long. You could also apply other difficulty increases such as further limiting pit stops, changing the course to be more grueling, etc.
  • Yeah, this is my thinking too. In tennis different tournaments have different weights, but also difficulties due to size of field, length of match, and other factors. F1 has the same field each time (though actually fewer now than the start of the season) and similar tracks (all new ones designed by the same company).

But limiting pit stops can make a race easier. Tyre degradation is a big issue, but increasing it would only make drivers more conservative.

I'd think it would be fun, as it's the last race and the cars aren't needed again, to bring in gravel traps and other hazards, and way more DRS zones.
  • VROOM! VROOM! Start of the season! Gonna actually watch this year.
  • If you live in the US and have a cable login, you can watch replays of the practice sessions on NBC Sports Extra.
  • If you live in the US and have a cable login, you can watch replays of the practice sessions on NBC Sports Extra.

Aww yiss.
  • Vroom!

I played the ever living fuck out of this game in the early 90's, and just the noises in that video brought it all back in a rush. I loved that everything was thrown out that didn't make the game feel FAST.
  • Whoah, that game looks terrific! Those Amigas were the shit! Very similar to some of my favorite racing games Pole Position and Virtua Racing.

• I played Virtua Racing a few times, and it always felt slow with really easy overtaking. It looked amazing in the arcade, but comparatively Vroom was a "twitch" game.
  • I played Virtua Racing a few times, and it always felt slow with really easy overtaking. It looked amazing in the arcade, but comparatively Vroom was a "twitch" game.

Virtua Racing wasn't about overtaking and racing as much as it was about time trials. Also, overtaking wasn't so easy against a human opponent, although there could only be one at most.
  • Apreche said:

I played Virtua Racing a few times, and it always felt slow with really easy overtaking. It looked amazing in the arcade, but comparatively Vroom was a "twitch" game.

Virtua Racing wasn't about overtaking and racing as much as it was about time trials. Also, overtaking wasn't so easy against a human opponent, although there could only be one at most.
    What I liked about Vroom is on the arcade/training mode, you got points for overtaking (if I remember correctly) so that was made pretty tricky, with the other cars weaving about on the track. The tracks were super narrow too, and the first person perspective made it harder to judge the overtaking. It was the first racing game I played with rear view wing mirrors too!
  • Apreche said:

I played Virtua Racing a few times, and it always felt slow with really easy overtaking. It looked amazing in the arcade, but comparatively Vroom was a "twitch" game.

What I liked about Vroom is on the arcade/training mode, you got points for overtaking (if I remember correctly) so that was made pretty tricky, with the other cars weaving about on the track. The tracks were super narrow too, and the first person perspective made it harder to judge the overtaking. It was the first racing game I played with rear view wing mirrors too!
    I don't know if that video shows it, but Virtua Racing let you change the camera. It may have been the first to do so. I always played with the first person camera. I don't remember if it had mirrors...
  • Oh yeah, I remember the view changes in Virtua Racing. I loved the way it tracked in and out, not just immediate switching. Mirrors? Nope:

• Watching it on my computer now. I can't believe I'm going to say this, but thank you Time Warner.
  • Channel 10 streams it in Australia if you don't have access to it anywhere else e.g. BBC iPlayer is another alternative if you want to VPN it.
  • You know what? I'm bowing out of following F1 super early this year. Get back to me when there isn't a Mercedes 1-2. Hamilton vs Rosberg held my attention last year, but I can't do it all again. Hamilton is, as far as I can tell, by the much better driver and racer, and the only thing that kept it interesting last year was car reliability. Mercedes are so far ahead, and I don't see anyone catching them up this year like Red Bull and others did with Braun in 2009.

I watched the end of Melbourne's race, and the most interesting battle near the end was between 9th and 10th place. Yay?
  • Red Bull is pulling a Rubin. Bitching after the first race that Rym is going to win so everyone should just stop or change the rules.
  • You know what? I'm bowing out of following F1 super early this year. Get back to me when there isn't a Mercedes 1-2. Hamilton vs Rosberg held my attention last year, but I can't do it all again. Hamilton is, as far as I can tell, by the much better driver and racer, and the only thing that kept it interesting last year was car reliability. Mercedes are so far ahead, and I don't see anyone catching them up this year like Red Bull and others did with Braun in 2009.

I watched the end of Melbourne's race, and the most interesting battle near the end was between 9th and 10th place. Yay?

When was the last time there was more than one team with a competitive car in the same year? The nature of F1 is such that the tiniest margins matter so much. If you can make your car a second faster, your opponents don't stand a chance. Of course given such a small field, one team is always going to have an advancement that gives them that edge. Used to be Red Bull. Used to be Ferrari. Won't always be Mercedes.
  • This is why I am increasingly interested in dirtier, lower-budget race types/leagues. Rallies have much more variability.
  • Rym said:

This is why I am increasingly interested in dirtier, lower-budget race types/leagues. Rallies have much more variability.

I think I have just the race for you.
  • Formula E is supposed to be pretty good.
  • Andrew said:

Formula E is supposed to be pretty good.

Yeah, it is, but how do you watch it?
  • Apreche said:

You know what? I'm bowing out of following F1 super early this year. Get back to me when there isn't a Mercedes 1-2. Hamilton vs Rosberg held my attention last year, but I can't do it all again. Hamilton is, as far as I can tell, by the much better driver and racer, and the only thing that kept it interesting last year was car reliability. Mercedes are so far ahead, and I don't see anyone catching them up this year like Red Bull and others did with Braun in 2009.

When was the last time there was more than one team with a competitive car in the same year? The nature of F1 is such that the tiniest margins matter so much. If you can make your car a second faster, your opponents don't stand a chance. Of course given such a small field, one team is always going to have an advancement that gives them that edge. Used to be Red Bull. Used to be Ferrari. Won't always be Mercedes.
    Yeah, I've got no problem with that. But that's also the reason I fall out of following F1 for a year or two at the time. Other teams caught up with Braun in 2009, and then in 2010, the season came down to the last race: "Vettel's victory in the championship came after a dramatic season finale at Abu Dhabi where three other drivers could also have won the championship – Vettel's Red Bull Racing team mate Mark Webber, Ferrari's Fernando Alonso and McLaren's Lewis Hamilton."

2011? Yawn. Vettel was over 100 points clear by the end. I stopped bothering half way through. And then I simply never got back into it for the next few seasons.

Maybe in the summer I'll have reason to watch, but watching Hamilton kick Rosberg in the balls, while the two of them punch everyone else in the balls, every other weekend? Not all year.