This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090625 - Celebrity Deaths

Comments

• Naoza said:

As per usual, if you don't like the ads, you don't consume the content.

Then they shouldn't put the content up for free on a platform designed to disseminate information independent of formatting.

• Why Stack Overflow Doesn’t Care About Ad Blockers http://hn.premii.com/#/article/11067166
  • This tangent, worst ever.
  • Apreche said:

This tangent, worst ever.

The tangent isn't dead yet.
  • Apreche said:

This tangent, worst ever.

I've actually never really been clear what this thread is about. If a celebrity dies, generally there's not much more to say about it in the context of celebrity deaths as a whole other than that they died. Anything other than "x died on mm/dd/yy" is a tangent.

• Does this count?
  • RymRym
    edited February 2016
    Technically, this thread is about the episode of GeekNights we did ON celebrity deaths.

Tonight on GeekNights we discuss celebrity deaths. We also announce that the next book club select ion is Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse.

Edit: removed both TotD links because one is dead and one is now a malware site.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Dazzle369 said:

The future of ad-pushing: websites streamed as video, minimal HTML to detect click location. No politeness, just fuck the consumer right in the eyehole.

Uhh... TV?
  • Starfox said:

Dazzle369 said:

The future of ad-pushing: websites streamed as video, minimal HTML to detect click location. No politeness, just fuck the consumer right in the eyehole.

Uhh... TV?
    Exactly. That's what they want. Complete content control.
  • Christopher Rush
  • He drew some of my favorite cards. That's really sad...
  • Christopher Rush and Wayne England died in the same week :(
  • Greg said:

Scalia.

That's one of the rare graves I'm going to have to make a special trip to dance on.

• Apreche said:

Greg said:

Scalia.

That's one of the rare graves I'm going to have to make a special trip to dance on.

• Wow, things about to get real.
  • I can't believe you found that Ren & Stimpy clip just as I was searching for it. Here's my backup.

• edited February 2016
    You know, on principle I find it ghoulish to celebrate another's death, no matter how repugnant I find their views.

On the other hand....
    Post edited by Neito on
  • I'm going to miss his flowery language and impassioned dissents, but I am looking forward to a Court without him on it.
  • Banta said:

I'm going to miss his flowery language and impassioned dissents, but I am looking forward to a Court without him on it.

Yea he was entertaining when he didn't get his way, would have rather had a different conservative leave the court just to see him explode more.
  • So... odds on getting a replacement for Scalia before Obama leaves office?
  • So... odds on getting a replacement for Scalia before Obama leaves office?

It's a long time before that happens. So my prediction is:

1. Obama makes a reasonable appointment.
    2. GOP blocks indefinitely
    3. Democracts (if they're smart) blame the GOP for stopping the government and basically force the issue, crucifying them in the media the longer they hold out.

If the GOP actually tries to hold out on this for a full fucking year, it'll tear them apart.
  • Don't use crucifying like that. To most of America it implies noble sacrifice. If we're going with outdated punishment analogies, I would say it puts them in the stocks.
  • edited February 2016
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • LESSIG. He clerked for Posner and Scalia.

They'd never go for it.
  • So, let me get this straight - McConnell is protesting Obama's nomination, before he's even figured out who he's going to nominate, let alone put forward any actual nominees.

Less restrained Obama giving the republicans the purple custard fears.
  • Neito said:

You know, on principle I find it ghoulish to celebrate another's death, no matter how repugnant I find their views.

On the other hand....

Perhaps this is more controversial than I think it is but I'm not celebrating his death so much as his removal from the bench.
  • What I've always wondered is why doesn't anyone try to assassinate Supreme Court Justices? Presidential assassination attempts go back to Jackson, but Presidents only have four or eight years. The only way to get rid of a Justice is death (with rare but some exceptions).
  • Greg said:

What I've always wondered is why doesn't anyone try to assassinate Supreme Court Justices? Presidential assassination attempts go back to Jackson, but Presidents only have four or eight years. The only way to get rid of a Justice is death (with rare but some exceptions).

Oh I can tell you. You want to see the scars from when I took on Ruth Bader Ginsberg? That woman is a GOD with a blade.
  • Churba said:

Greg said:

What I've always wondered is why doesn't anyone try to assassinate Supreme Court Justices? Presidential assassination attempts go back to Jackson, but Presidents only have four or eight years. The only way to get rid of a Justice is death (with rare but some exceptions).

Oh I can tell you. You want to see the scars from when I took on Ruth Bader Ginsberg? That woman is a GOD with a blade.
    I've never seen anyone use a scimitar with such flowing grace before or since.