This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Going to San Francisco

So, I'm going to San Francisco for a few days on personal business in a few weeks. I'll mostly be engaged, but if all goes well I'll have a day at the end before I fly back to do some touristy stuff. Problem is, I have never been to San Francisco before, and I have no idea what cool, geeky stuff there is to do. I hear there's a good Japanese tea house in the middle of Golden Gate park, but other than that I don't know. Any suggestions/thoughts/ideas?

Comments

• "Be sure to wear flowers in your hair."
  • The tea house in Golden Gate Park is pretty cool. There is a Japanese garden, as well as tea house, and it is pretty neat to check out. I'm pretty sure it is next to the de Young Museum, and I believe it is across the way from the newly reopened Academy of Sciences, which just relocated to a new building in the park. The de Young has a selection of art from all parts of the world and all eras. There is an exhibit of Tutankhamun's treasures at the de Young right now. It looks pretty cool, I plan to check it out one of these days. You may require a separate tickets for the King Tut exhibit, I'm not sure.

Japan Town might be worth checking out, there are some funky shops and places to get weird Japanese foods, books and stuff. Japantown is on Post St. from about Octavia to Fillmore Streets. Most of it is an indoor mall along Post. If you think stuff from Japan is weird and fun, then you would probably like it.

If you are into comics, Isotope Comics is one of the coolest comic shops ever. It's on Fell near the corner of Fell and Gough streets. Also, if you go to Isotope, Al's Comics is a short walk away on Market and -- I think -- Octavia. Al's is more of a traditional comic shop, they have a lot of back issues, and you might get yelled at for looking through the back issue boxes wrong. I wouldn't go to Al's unless you are going to Isotope though. Isotope is worth the trip on its own, Al's is not.

Downtown around Union Square is a popular place to go, it is basically just the shopping district though. There are a lot of stores and a big plaza. Irish Bank, in an alley off of Bush St between Grant and Kearny is a good place to get some pub food and put down a few beers if you are in the mood for that. It is a block from the entrance to Chinatown too.

Chinatown is, well, Chinatown. It's crowded and it stinks like cabbage and ocean. Some people like to go though. The charm wears off when you live a block and a half away. The touristy stretch on Grant Ave doesn't smell so bad, but it is touristy. There is a cool tea shop somewhere along there where they will brew up tea in a little pot to let you try it. If you go west a block to Stockton st, you will get a more authentic Chinatown experience. Capital Restaurant on Clay between Grant and Stockton is an interesting place to get Chinese food. It is a total hole in the wall with low prices -- get the salt and hot pepper chicken wings if you go. Delicious.

It is fun to walk over the Golden Gate Bridge. There are parking areas on either side of the bridge, and the pedestrian walkway is on the east side of the bridge. Check it out now, before they put in the anti-suicide rails and nets (or whatever it is they have planned).

I hope this gives you some ideas! San Frantastic is a wonderful city.
  • Deacon, very comprehensive and useful post. I'll try to check out as many of those things as I can.
  • I'm pretty sure you just missed Pride, which is a shame. It's a hell of a thing.
  • Yup, Pride weekend was last weekend. That reminds me that there tends to be a lot of fairs and festivals throughout the summer. Union Street Fair, North Beach Street Fair, Beer and Oysters, etc. You may want to check event listings on SFgate.com for the time you will be in town.

Glad this info helps. I love my city, and I like helping others to love my city too.
  • I concur with his Bad Holiness. Also, I would suggest checking out 16+Mission (at the aptly named 16th & Mission BART station) Thursday nights starting at around 9:30pm or so. It's slam poetry and interesting things going on.
  • Try Stay out of the tenderloin, unless you need crack, Scabby, diseased prostitutes, or some combination of the two.
    (I will note - I don't know about the tenderloin, this was advice given to me by a co-worker at Alliance Airlines who grew up in san fran.)
  • edited July 2009
    Try Stay out of the tenderloin, unless you need crack, Scabby, diseased prostitutes, or some combination of the two.
    To quote Dave Chappelle, re: the Tenderloin, "I've never seen crack smoked so openly!" Seriously, the Tenderloin is a nasty, nasty place. But it's pretty obvious, too. If you happen upon it, you'll be like "I'm not going down THAT street."
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • I grew up in Brooklyn, so staying out of "stabby-cracktown" shouldn't be too hard.
  • For what it's worth, the crackheads in the Tenderloin are more of the "offer you blowjobs or stolen goods for $5" crackheads, not the "stab you and take your $5" crackheads.
  • Well, it's San Francisco. Everyone's friendlier there.
    I know man, I mean, $5 bucks, a Crackhead blowjob in NYC is at least a ten spot.
  • Is Japan Town still around? I know it's supposed to close down but not sure if it has.
  • Is Japan Town still around? I know it's supposed to close down but not sure if it has.
    Last time I was there was about 2 or 3 weeks ago, and it was still up and running.
  • Yeah, I stopped by Japantown after Pride last weekend. They're expanding it a little.
  • So, I got in to San Francisco last night, and so far, it's been an... interesting experience. I ate at a scuzzy looking place in Chinatown last night that was actually extremely delicious, I stopped by Japantown this morning and splurged on manga (including a Tezuka I'd never heard of called Swallowing the Earth), then had lunch at a superb and cheap noodle house. The neighborhood around Japantown was a bit sketchy, though (I saw at least two drug deals, among other things). It has been cold, which is something I wasn't expecting in the middle of July. The one major gripe I have with this city is that you have to pay for most of the "free" wi-fi spots, and it's too expensive to be worth it ($13/night at my hotel, and $3-$6/hour elsewhere).
    I know man, I mean, $5 bucks, a Crackhead blowjob in NYC is at least a ten spot.
    Five Bucks?! Seriously? Man, down in LA, we don't got Dollar Stores, We got Dollar Whores!

I'm sorry. That was of bad taste.