This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Driving Tips, Anecdotes, etc.?

edited July 2009 in Everything Else
Recently I have started driving, and will receive my license very soon. I'm sure there are others in this forum around the same age, and would like some advice, too. You've mentioned on the show things about driving, driving anecdotes, and other related stuff, but most of it I can't remember, and would be a waste of time to filter through the almost 700 different episodes looking for them. So I present this to you- Tell me about driving tips, things about cars and driving for kids learning to drive, and any car related anecdotes. I'm sure you guys have a lot and I, along with others, probably, will really appreciate it.

Or maybe a driving episode? Hmm.

Comments

• Fuck. My bad.
  • Take a driving course.
  • Don't crash.
  • Actually take lessons and learn to drive. And don't take 'lessons' from your papa unless he's actually qualified. Take driving lessons from a qualified driving school. Learn the rules and take your tests, pass them, receive drivers license, feel smugly superior to all the fucks who never learned to drive and occupy the roads. Also, don't be stupid when sitting behind the wheel.
  • And don't take 'lessons' from your papa unless he's actually qualified.
    I took driving lessons from my father and I'm perfectly fine. Granted, my dad was a B-1 flight instructor for several years...
  • I'm perfectly fine.
    In a country where most drivers are utterly retarded it's not hard to be perfectly fine at driving a car if you are smart. It's better to just have a proper driving instructor with you when learning to drive. Not only is their car modified so they can brake or speed up when you fuck up, but they are also up to date on all the rules and laws. They are also better skilled at spotting your weaknesses and making you improve them the hard way, by just doing it.
  • In a country where most drivers are utterly retarded it's not hard to be perfectly fine at driving a car if you are smart.
    Funny, have you ever been driving in America? Don't think so... Your broad, sweeping generalizations really hurt your credibility.
  • edited July 2009
    Funny, have you ever been driving in America? Don't think so... Your broad, sweeping generalizations really hurt your credibility.
    I have, And I'll back him, with one slight change - most people drive like they're morons, rather than most people who drive there are retarded.

Though, I will note that I don't drive as well as I could in America either, but that's because I'm used to driving Left hand left foot, as opposed to right hand left foot, and on the other side of the road.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited July 2009
    I have, And I'll back him, with one slight change - most people drive like they're morons, rather than most people who drive there are retarded.
    Oh I totally agree. I just think you shouldn't pass judgment on things without any experience. Besides, it could be worse. You could be driving in India.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited July 2009
    At the very least, Nine is just using logic. He takes as a premise that most Americans are stupid, and from that he induces that most American drivers are stupid.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Funny, have you ever been driving in America? Don't think so... Your broad, sweeping generalizations really hurt your credibility.
    Many horror stories of people I consider credible and who have driven in the USA, one being my driving instructor, are good enough for me to echo their opinions.

True, I have not yet driven in the USA myself, but I haven't had the chance yet. Buy me a plane ticket and I shall experience the horrors myself. :)
  • He takes as a premise that most Americans are stupid, and from that he induces that most American drivers are stupid.
    I'm sorry, but I'm fucking sick of this "Oh, Americans are all fucking stupid". Yes, we have our fair share of nutballs and delinquents, but honestly I don't think the ratio is significantly higher than any other country to make us the "stupid country". Furthermore, I think it's pretty clear that we get a larger share of media attention on our idiots when compared with other nations.
  • edited July 2009
    Oh I totally agree. I just think you shouldn't pass judgment on things without any experience.
    I must say I disagree strongly with that idea. It is enough to have reliable sources of knowledge on the topic. Experience is unnecessary, and in fact often misleading because, statistically speaking, one person's worth of sampling is often inaccurate.

At least as far as visual and interactive media are concerned, Rym and Scott also seem to disagree strongly with that opinion.
    He takes as a premise that most Americans are stupid, and from that he induces that most American drivers are stupid.
    I'm sorry, but I'm fucking sick of this "Oh, Americans are all fucking stupid". Yes, we have our fair share of nutballs and delinquents, but honestly I don't think the ratio is significantly higher than any other country to make us the "stupid country". Furthermore, I think it's pretty clear that we get a larger share of media attention on our idiots when compared with other nations.
    It was a joke, pointing out the way Nine seems to think...
  • edited July 2009
    I must say I disagree strongly with that idea. It is enough to have reliable sources of knowledge on the topic. Experience is unnecessary, and in fact often misleading because, statistically speaking, one person's worth of sampling is often
    Then cite your sources motherfucker.
    It was a joke, pointing out the way Nine seems to think...
    Wow, real funny...
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I must say I disagree strongly with that idea. It is enough to have reliable sources of knowledge on the topic. Experience is unnecessary, and in fact often misleading because, statistically speaking, one person's worth of sampling is often
    Then cite your sources motherfucker.
    I just realised I didn't complete that sentence. Also, there are no sources to cite because I didn't make any factual claims.
  • Besides, it could be worse. You could be driving in India.
    I have, and It's worse, but still quite manageable if you're got the steel for it.
  • edited July 2009
    I just realised I didn't complete that sentence. Also, there are no sources to cite because I didn't make any factual claims.
    It was a generic statement. If one is going to make these generalizations, cite your sources.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited July 2009
    It was a generic statement. If one is going to make these generalizations, cite your sources.
    Which statement of mine was a generic statement?
  • edited July 2009
    Mine was a generic statement.
    Post edited by Andrew on
    edited July 2009
    In this thread, Andrew crying because he can't deal being part of the butt of a stereotypical running joke. Feeling indignant much?
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited July 2009
    Then shouldn't you be the one to cite your sources?
  • edited July 2009
    In this thread, Andrew crying because he can't deal being part of the butt of a stereotypical running joke. Feeling indignant much?
    WHAAAA! I'm so upset that nineless made me rage...WHAAAA
    Then shouldn't you be the one to cite your sources?
    Sigh, I don't think you understand what I meant. You said:
    It is enough to have reliable sources of knowledge on the topic.
    What I meant is that if you are going to use these reliable sources, then you should cite them. I'm sorry if my poor wording confused you.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • WHAAAA! I'm so upset that nineless made me rage...WHAAAA
    I hope you mean Lackofcheese. He was after all the one who made the comment that made you sick.
  • Watch out for Motorcyclists in California. The have the right to drive between lanes.
  • What I meant is that if you are going to use these reliable sources, then you should cite them. I'm sorry if my poor wording confused you.
    I understand now. I certainly agree, one should cite one's sources.
  • The worst drivers I've ever seen was when I was in Athens, which is much like New York except the streets are half as wide with much fewer lanes and a ton of ancient statues and such all around. I almost was hit crossing the street with the light several times, and several more when I was crossing in the middle of the street. Needless to say, don't drive in Greece if you can help it.
  • The best tip I can give you is to avoid Michigan in general. The roads here suck (and the drivers are crazy).
  • Watch out for Motorcyclists in California. The have the right to drive between lanes.
    <.<....>.>...<.< I do that, in really heavy or gridlock traffic - though I tend towards the hard shoulder, rather than between lanes. To be fair, I was kinda hard to miss, though.
  • My biggest pet peeve are people who block the box. Don't do that shit.