This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comments

• Christ.
  • I'm down with it. Open Source OS for Netbooks, really lightweight operating system. I'd try it.
  • Essentially just a linux kernel with new window system.
  • I for one welcome our new insect overlords.

What we really need are some viable open source "cloud" services. Control over your personal computer is great, but we're seeing a major shift from client to server. I'm not overly paranoid about Google and I think they have consistently offered great things in a very fair manner, but chances are that I'll not always agree with their way of thinking and it would be nice to have some choice.

In any case, Steve Ballmer must be throwing some chairs right about now.
  • This is not a big deal.
  • edited July 2009
    This is not a big deal.
    I'm agree. Unless it comes with free high-class hookers and a half-kilo pure columbian cocaine, I don't see any reason freak out as much as the internet has been over this. It's the same as any other OS - If it works best for you, use it. If not, use something else.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • If Google chooses to pursue it, they could become a major Linux distro in a very short time-frame. I think this makes it a pretty a big deal for people in the Linux community. Also, they have the clout and mind-share to make inroads into hardware manufacturers and end users who typically stick with a proprietary OS. Hopefully that leads to better hardware support(*ahem* ATI). But whatever the case, they're branching out to extend their market in a similar fashion to Android devices, another piece of the puzzle.

What I think is interesting about the whole thing is that it's sort of the last open battlefield for Microsoft. They''re now going to be butting heads on search, web browsers, and the OS. All the while Microsoft's competitors are happily expanding their portfolios. I suppose the Zune counts as expansion. Oh yeah, HD-DVD :) <--smiley emoticon to indicate amusement. Actually, Xbox has been doing pretty well and it wouldn't surprise me if their games division becomes one of their larger assets. Hexic HD for the win.
  • In this particular case, Google can't depend on the "it's a beta" mentality if they want to get the OS installed on netbooks out of the box from OEMs. Manufacturers won't ship a machine with a 'beta' OS on it. Of course, they've got Android which gives them a good start of this OS, but currently all the Chrome OS consists of is a press release. MS used to catch hell for pre-emptively announcing things to spoil things for their competitors. Now Google is trying that by announcing an OS less than a week before Windows 7 RTM's.
  • From my understanding of the blog post, they're not aiming for much more than a base for which to run Google Chrome and a few other programs, possibly an office suite. If they were serious about pursuing becoming a major Linux distribution, they wouldn't put so much emphasis on the netbook side of things.
  • From my understanding of the blog post, they're not aiming for much more than a base for which to run Google Chrome and a few other programs, possibly an office suite. If they were serious about pursuing becoming a major Linux distribution, they wouldn't put so much emphasis on the netbook side of things.
    I think this is exactly what they're aiming for which may change the purpose of the OS if it catches on. Why worry getting a high-powered machine when a remote server can do it all for you? The technology's been around, but I think Google can do for it what Apple did for mp3(aac) players. That makes me both happy and sad, like a clown with one arm.
  • The technology's been around, but I think Google can do for it what Apple did for mp3(aac) players.
    Good thinking.
  • I find it a little funny that we started off with the terminal-mainframe architecture, moved to a terminal centric architecture, and now we're back at terminal-mainframe. It's like when bell bottom jeans came back.
    The technology's been around, but I think Google can do for it what Apple did for mp3(aac) players.
    Good thinking.
    Agreed. If Google can get their OS mainstream, and if they make it work well with android, this could be veeery interesting.

Although, do you ever get the feeling Google is actually trying to become skynet?

• Although, do you ever get the feeling Google is actuallytryingto become skynet?
    Just look out for announcements that the next CEO of Microsoft is John Conner, and we'll be safe.
  • Just look out for announcements that the next CEO of Microsoft is John Conner, and we'll be safe.
    Buy your OS from me if you want to live.

• Although, do you ever get the feeling Google is actuallytryingto become skynet?
    Just look out for announcements that the next CEO of Microsoft is John Conner, and we'll be safe.
    Buy your OS from me if you want to live.
    I would be really torn. Google Shiny or Microsoft Life?