This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Why does anime seem to have such a small audiance?

2»

Comments

• edited July 2009
    Fact: You see Spike get shot at the very beginning of the first episode. Hardly a spoiler.
    You don't see him die. In the last shot of that sequence, he's still smiling. I certainly didn't interpret that as his death when I first watched it.
    SPOILER: In the sequence at the end you don't see him die, either. It pans up to the sky. Regardless, it is clear he will die.
    It is clear that you are not familiar with the tropes gangster, noir, and pulp-noir films.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • It is clear that you are not familiar with the tropes gangster, noir, and pulp-noir films.
    No, I suppose I'm not. Do you think everyone else is?
  • It is clear that you are not familiar with the tropes gangster, noir, and pulp-noir films.
    No, I suppose I'm not. Do you think everyone else is?
    Certainly not, but the basic clues in the opener spell it out specifically. If viewers didn't pick up on the fact that blood and roses indicated that one, if not all, of the characters would die - then those viewers simply do not think about anything they watch. Regardless, Cowboy Bebop in this forum has reached its statute of limitations. If someone puts up a spoiler, then it is courteous, but if they don't it isn't egregious. Get over it and stop bitching.
  • Jesus Christ, why am I even arguing with you? I usually don't even read your posts.
  • Regular people only like reality shows, bland sitcoms, crime dramas, and sports, and nerds would rather play video games. That is why Japanese cartoons are not doing so hot.
  • Regular people only like reality shows, bland sitcoms, crime dramas, and sports, and nerds would rather play video games. That is why Japanese cartoons are not doing so hot.
    I believe it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. If someone took Cowboy Bebop and put it on in the same time slot, and spent the same money and effort promoting it, it would be just as, if not more, popular than those shows. It's just that nobody will take a risk with big money on something different.
    I believe it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. If someone took Cowboy Bebop and put it on in the same time slot, and spent the same money and effort promoting it, it would be just as, if not more, popular than those shows. It's just that nobody will take a risk with big money on something different.
    I kinda wish FOX would take a shot at it with their "Animation Domination" slot. What if, instead of another Family Guy spin-off, they placed Cowboy Bebop in between The Simpsons and FG. Of course it would never happen, but I think that would be the best way ease anime in to prime time network TV.
  • I kinda wish FOX would take a shot at it with their "Animation Domination" slot. What if, instead of another Family Guy spin-off, they placed Cowboy Bebop in between The Simpsons and FG. Of course it would never happen, but I think that would be the best way ease anime in to prime time network TV.
    I think that's a bad fit. Fox animation is all about comedy. And despite those comedies not being as good as they have been in the past, they are still kinda funny. Comedy is really hard to do, and throwing in some non-comedy will just mess it all up. A better spot would be to put the show on before or after one of the CSI type shows, or maybe around the same time as that Lost show.
  • I wonder if the US will ever again regain that big boom period of anime. The conditions are so different now. From what I can recall, Akira, Ninja Scroll, and Ghost in the Shell kind of ushered in that first major wave of anime. While we had gotten plenty of television and some movies before that, I don't remember them as being considered Japanimation at the time. Akira, on the other hand, was this totally cool punk thing that was really new and visceral and quite Japanese. This was also before you could google something which made everything a bit more mysterious and exotic and made word of mouth infinitely more fun.

Now we have a generation of people who have at least some fleeting experience with anime or manga. This makes it incredibly difficult for a new product to come along and excite people in the same way it would had they never seen that style of art before.

Then again, if there's one thing that Hollywood shows us, it's that you only need one big hit to completely flood a genre. You would just to find the anime equivalent to Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, or X-Men or the Matrix - I feel that bullet-time deserves its own genre. But again, it would have to be something new and exciting and that ship may have already sailed. I tend to think manga has a better chance of really ingraining itself into American society because it hasn't yet produced that defining work in general pop culture. How about Urasawa do an epic multi-volume work about Obama, and it's got to have a cake eating scene.
  • edited July 2009
    Jesus Christ, why am I even arguing with you? I usually don't even read your posts.
    That's lovely, just lovely.
    You were both dismissive and insulting, yet had no substance or reasoning whatsoever.
    BTW, I don't think I have ever argued with you in the past and been nothing but complimentary about your work. Even in this circumstance I agreed that it would be courteous if people used a spoiler alert, but that it is reasonable that someone assumed most of the people in the forum were familiar with Cowboy Bebop. So, you are not reading the posts of someone who is reasonable and willing to meet people halfway when they have a good point. Regardless, if you want to dismiss people that disagree with you on occasion, then you are simply limiting yourself.
    It's too bad, really. I am pretty great and you are missing out.
    Regular people only like reality shows, bland sitcoms, crime dramas, and sports, and nerds would rather play video games. That is why Japanese cartoons are not doing so hot.
    Why is that? What happens to people that there is no diversity of taste or interest in something new?
  • Jesus Christ, why am I even arguing with you? I usually don't even read your posts.
    That's lovely, just lovely.
    You were both dismissive and insulting, yet had no substance or reasoning whatsoever.
    BTW, I don't think I have ever argued with you in the past and been nothing but complimentary about your work. Even in this circumstance I agreed that it would be courteous if people used a spoiler alert, but that it is reasonable that someone assumed most of the people in the forum were familiar with Cowboy Bebop. So, you are not reading the posts of someone who is reasonable and willing to meet people halfway when they have a good point. Regardless, if you want to dismiss people that disagree with you on occasion, then you are simply limiting yourself.
    It's too bad, really. I am pretty great and you are missing out.
    I was considering saying something about the rudeness of his post, but you were far more eloquent. Plus, it makes more sense for you to respond anyways. It would have been rather out of place for me to comment.
  • I was considering saying something about the rudeness of his post, but you were far more eloquent. Plus, it makes more sense for you to respond anyways. It would have been rather out of place for me to comment.
    Thanks, AotK. It's cool, though. ^_^ People are as they are and everyone is rude sometimes. I know I have been and I feel terrible for it later. Maybe some people don't feel terrible. C'est la vie.
  • I was considering saying something about the rudeness of his post, but you were far more eloquent. Plus, it makes more sense for you to respond anyways. It would have been rather out of place for me to comment.
    Thanks, AotK. It's cool, though. ^_^ People are as they are and everyone is rude sometimes. I know I have been and I feel terrible for it later. Maybe some people don't feel terrible. C'est la vie.
    Again, very eloquent and well-spoken.
  • Thanks a lot for spoiling that!
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
    He still could have used spoiler tags.
    We don't have those, can't use non-existing things (no matter how hard people try). Also, this is the internet, saying that SPIKE DIES is a meme. Cowboy Bebop is also a freaking episodic show, spoiling the end of the very last scene means jack all, heck you should already expect his death after a handful of episodes. Also, it's over a DECADE years old, statute of limitations.
    Anyways, by saying that Spike dies, that reveals a major part of the plotline
    It doesn't reveal a major part of a plotline. It just spoils the result.
  • Why is that? What happens to people that there is no diversity of taste or interest in something new?
    Clever things make people feel stupid and unexpected things make them feel scared.
  • edited July 2009
    I can't think of another foreign medium that gets nearly the level of attention and fandom that anime/manga does. What size audience were you expecting?
    Post edited by Exarion on
  • edited July 2009
    Thanks a lot for spoiling that!
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
    He still could have used spoiler tags.
    We don't have those, can't use non-existing things (no matter how hard people try). Also, this is the internet, saying that SPIKE DIES is a meme. Cowboy Bebop is also a freaking episodic show, spoiling the end of the very last scene means jack all, heck you should already expect his death after a handful of episodes. Also, it's over a DECADE years old, statute of limitations.
    Anyways, by saying that Spike dies, that reveals a major part of the plotline
    It doesn't reveal a major part of a plotline. It just spoils the result.
    But you're spoiling more by giving greater detail about when it happens! LOL. Seriously people, statute of limitations.

Anyway, we were talking about the popularity of a foreign media among introverted nerds....
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • This most certainly does count as a spoiler. Additionally, there are people who haven't seen Cowboy Bebop who would be interested in seeing it, for a variety of reasons - primarily people who either haven't heard about it, or haven't heard how good it is. Nonetheless, there aren't very many of these people around, and the proportion on these forums would be extremely low. The show isn't very new, and at some point any media must be able to be freely discussed, without the impediment of some kind of spoiler-hiding.

Overall, one can easily justify taking either action, spoiler-hiding or openness. On the other hand, at least on these forums, I cannot see how it is justified to criticize another for taking either action.
  • edited July 2009
    Another point to consider is that not all anime is good. Just like any other genre there are some great works and some terrible works. To use Scott's references there are even a few good reality shows, sitcoms, and cime shows.
  • I wish popular American culture wouldn't consider animation to be a separate genre from live action. I think you'd get much more market penetration if anime films/shows were displayed right alongside all other films/shows of the same genre, instead of being stuck in its own section.

(spoiler alert) Spike kills Dumbledore.
  • (spoiler alert) Spike kills Dumbledore.
    ...with Rosebud.
  • ...who is Luke's father.
  • edited July 2009
    ...who is Luke's father.
    ...And then Dumbledore shows up again along with Jesus and Aslan. At the end of the story they all love Big Brother and were, in fact, dead the entire time.

Also, Gomidog needs to watch Citizen Kane.
    Post edited by Walker on