This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The FRC Fantasy Studio League

edited July 2009 in Forum Game
Okay, here's the challenge. It works pretty much like the idea of fantasy football: You are to assemble a crack team from all over to make your imaginary animated feature film. They can be Japanese or American, or from any other country. You can choose to adapt a work or choose a screenwriter/author you think would make the kind of story you want. I'm going to avoid using Miyazaki, because everything they would make would be awesome.

I'll start -

Original Concept/Script: (or the work it was adapted from) "The Thief Lord" - set in Venice, this is a young adult novel of runaway children and their enigmatic leader, the Thief Lord.

Studio: 4C - This studio in general makes really great 2D/3D films, and even though they produce mainly shorts, they are some of the best in Digital 2D around, in my opinion.

Director: Brad Bird - I'd go with him on this one, rather than a Japanese director, because I feel that he'd stay fairly close to the original material, and also he's a good one for children, because though he he makes things emotional and easy to understand, he doesn't speak down to his audience and makes a more sophisticated children's film.

Character Designer/Lead Concept artist: Takeshi Honda/Mitsuo Ito - Dennou Coil. They do great children characters. The designs are kind of Ghibli-esque but a little less old fashioned.

Mechanical or Environment Designer: Makoto Shinkai - I'd like to see the blue twilights and soft glows typical of his work applied to the night scenes set amongst the crumbling architecture and canals of Venice. He can do night/evening/dawn really well.

Music: Danny Elfman - his spooky tunes for many of Tim Burton's films could be lightened up a touch to fit the mystery and magic of the story and the rusting charm of the rundown environments the children inhabit.

Comments

• Forgive me for badgering, but can this also include live-action because it seems sorta one-sided if it's just animation.
  • edited July 2009
    Shouldn't voice actors also be selected for animation?
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I'm not nitpicking or anything, but are you aware there is a live action movie version of The Thief Lord as well?
  • Does rotoscoping count at all like in the style of Richard Linklater's excellent movie A Scanner Darkly?
  • edited July 2009
    In order:

-Fine, you can do live action. *sigh* This was more about artistic styles coming together, and live action is more about the chemistry between director and cast. That's not to say production design is not important, but it seems that you would want to do animation because of the distinctive art styles. You can choose comic book artists or any visual artist for the character designer, say.
    -Bah, actors, I do not feel like writing a cast list right now. That's for another time. I want to think about the arting!
    -There is? When the heck did that come out, or is it still in production? I liked the book, and I read movie reviews in the New Yorker each week. One would think I would have noticed.
    -Yes, rotoscoping counts, if you think that that would produce a better movie.

Nobody is going to play? Pah.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2009
    I'll begin the first real one.

"The Book of Three" - Based on a young adult fantasy novel by Lloyd Alexander, about a boy who wants to live his dreams and fantasies of glory and grandeur until one day he gets his wish when a very important and oracular pig named Hen Wen escapes from her pen and his quest begins. This was already adapted by Disney into an animated film called "The Black Cauldron", but it bears no resemblance to the series as it is a bastardized copy of the entire series (The Chronicles of Prydain) and generally unfaithful to the source material on which it is based.

Studio: Without question I would choose Albion based Cosgrove Hall in Mahchester for rotoscoping animation on this film because their previous work on animating a couple Doctor Who episodes in a sort of rotoscope-esque style just amazes and I think would suit the film adaptation very well.

Director - Myself (Matthew J. Geoffino) - Some of you might say that that might be an ego-stroke, but I honestly do think I am the only one who can make a successful adaptation of that book. I know the series inside and out in my head and I know what kind of shots would work for certain scenes; in short I've got the whole thing engineered in my head.

Music: Although I'll hire a composer to write some incidental music, I'll be largely relying on a good amount of already written music. The kind of music that I will relying on will consist of things that haven an Irish or Celtic flavor to it (mainly with a very sweet and soft sounding flute or piccolo to it )as it will evoke the atmosphere and mood that I want the audience to feel. The latter of which is mysticality, beuaty, and untouched wilderness.

Editor: I haven't decided yet but I want someone who is dynamic and very creative with editing.

Screenwriter: It will be myself since I am a really damn good writer due to what a majority of my friends and teachers have said to me, in fact I almost won an award in my high school year book about it, but lost :( As I said before I have engineered the entire thing in my head and I know how it would work in an adapted form.

I hope that's what you are going for Gomily?

EDIT:Seriously guys, just go along and play this little game as I think it is full of potential and creativity that is waiting to be exercised and spilled out into.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Yupa, I think you just broke a harp string.
  • Yupa, I think you just broke a harp string.
    Awesome!! Someone else who has read the book/seen the movie! I might actually be closer to Fflewdur Fflan than you might think as I often stretch the truth or occasionally just flat-out lie.
  • Assistant Pig Keeper FTW!
  • Assistant Pig Keeper FTW!
    I wonder who would make a Gwydion should a film adaptation in this day and age be made? But enough of this, let's see some more ideas people!
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2009
    Here's an addition to my post of The Book of Three

Equipment and Weapon Design: My choice for who will design and produce all the weapons that appear in the film will be WETA Workshops, far and away. If their amazing and epic designs on the weapons in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy films are any indication, then it shows that they know how to properly make weapons and make them look awesome at the same time!
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Nobody is going to play? Pah.
    Sorry ma'am, I don't know jack about anime except what I like, so I'm rather out of the running.
    Sorry ma'am, I don't know jack about anime except what I like, so I'm rather out of the running.
    She said any kind of animation (also live-action after I badgered her) and not just anime, so go nuts.
    She said any kind of animation (also live-action after I badgered her) and not just anime, so go nuts.
    Hrn. I'll think on it, in that case.
  • edited July 2009
    There will be more here in future; this is something I have to think about.

Also, yes, Thief Lord is awesome.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Theif Lord is a good book.
  • Alfred J. Kwak: De Film.

Animated by: Production I.G. and Studio 4°C (note the degree sign Gomily, manga groups don't animate, or do you mean 4chan studios? (; ).
    Voice cast: The original Dutch cast taken from the time when they recorded the original TV series.
    Everything else:
  • Studio 4°C (note the degree sign Gomily, manga groups don't animate, or do you mean 4chan studios? (; )
    (^_^) Gomily will not be lazy and will use option-k next time. ????????
    Alfred J. Kwak: De Film.
    That would be one bad-ass Alfred J. Kwak movie. (We watched a little of the show.)
  • GeoGeo
    edited November 2009
    I'm bringing this thread back there is too much potential here to keep it relatively dead

Name of Idea/Origin of Concept: "Wights of Wildwood" Based on a crazy half-assed idea by Rym DeCoster and Scott Rubin which consisted of their idea of a zombie movie being filmed at the docks and beaches of Wildwood, New Jersey. I was only alerted of it's existence when Emily was talking with me on the Geekchat of Friday, and I thought to myself that maybe it might be pretty fun to make. It doesn't take much to make a zombie movie other than lots of makeup, many gory special effects (most of which is cheap in comparison with other kinds of special effects that can be made with a computer), and a lot of physical activity. Also the fact that Wildwood is a schlocky "touristy" place makes this especially fun since a movie theater could be used as a hiding place, as well as using many kinds of foodstuffs and props from the shoppes nearby.

Studio Responsible: The as-of-yet non-existent Front Row Crew Studios of course! Who else would be heavily involved in such an idea other than the members of the FRC and possibly myself. Matter of a fact, I sorta have an aspiration to make this movie with them or at least make this concept with other people at Wildwood regardless.

Director: Undecided since I barely have any directing experience to take on such a task (despite how relatively small it is) and I also don't know anyone else in my personal life who would be interested or willing enough to commit to such a task. All in all, the jury is still out at this point.

Music: Probably some random creative commons music or just plain, old stock music that don't require royalties that need to be paid.

Editor: Undecided, but most likely myself unless I meet up with an indie-film editor who I feel would be appropriate for this project.

Screenwriter: Emily said that should such a project occur with the FRC's involvement, it would most likely be Scott Johnson since Emily stated he would want to write it since he loves zombie movies, but she would revise it and add to it or erase any hiccups in it.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • GeoGeo
    edited November 2009
    Feh! Can't any of you come up with interesting ideas to turn into movies?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Nope. Otherwise we would be filmmakers.
  • Hardly. Anyone can have an idea (I've had tons, just no the motivation to post them here), filmmakers are the ones who are badass enough to actually do the work and turn them into something.
  • Feh! Can't any of you come up with interesting ideas to turn into movies?
    Günter and I already have a trilogy thought up. We're not crazy enough to give out our money making secret!

It shall star Bruce Willis and Morgan Freeman.
  • Feh! Can't any of you come up with interesting ideas to turn into movies?
    Günter and I already have a trilogy thought up. We're not crazy enough to give out our money making secret!

It shall star Bruce Willis and Morgan Freeman.
    As good as their talents in acting are, they are pretty much "Hollywood Whores" that are shelled out way to often then they should be.
  • As good as their talents in acting are, they are pretty much "Hollywood Whores" that are shelled out way to often then they should be.
    Which makes them perfect for our trilogy. :P
  • Which makes them perfect for our trilogy. :P
    I hope you got the money, because they don't come cheap.
  • As good as their talents in acting are, they are pretty much "Hollywood Whores" that are shelled out way to often then they should be.
    Yeah, damn those whores wanting to make more money. They should be just doing it for the craft.
  • GeoGeo
    edited November 2009
    As good as their talents in acting are, they are pretty much "Hollywood Whores" that are shelled out way to often then they should be.
    Yeah, damn those whores wanting to make more money. They should be just doing it for the craft.
    YES! That's really what more actors should be doing it for! By the way, I know you are being sarcastic.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • YES! That's really what more actors should be doing it for!By
    I'd do it for the money. After all, Actors are as susceptible to starving to death as the rest of us.
  • edited November 2009
    YES! That's really what more actors should be doing it for!
    That's all good and well, but there is such a thing as reality.
    Are you kidding? I'd just bought a castle, I had to pay for it somehow!
    That only sort of excuses it. That was an abortion of film-making.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on