This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Official OTAKON 2009 Meet-Up Thread

edited July 2009 in Everything Else
The Otakon 2009 thread got a bit out of hand, so I made a new thread to organize the meet-up next weekend.

I think Scott tweeted about doing it in between the GeekNights panels on Saturday, after Anime You Should See at 5:15 pm to Beyond Dungeons & Dragons at 6:45 pm. The problem I foresee is Rym/Scott talking to fans for a while after the first panel, so...

I'd propose a new time, maybe 5:30 pm - 7:00 pm on Friday. Not sure when everyone else is free though.

Let's discuss!

Comments

• Only that long? C'mon we gotta spend more time than that. Couldn't we also meet on other days too?
  • The Friday time doesn't work for me, there are some other panels that look very entertaining. The Saturday time could work for me, I'd just have to put off dinner for a bit. I could just eat at 7, provided I decide not to go to another panel, but that one was looking iffy as it is.
  • I'd like to be there, and I'm not going to be there Friday... so I'd personally prefer Saturday.
  • edited July 2009
    I'm good with anything so long as it doesn't conflict with any of the concerts, myself, though I would point out that Viga's Genshiken panel is going on between the two GeekNights panels, so another timeslot would probably be better. Also, I support the idea from the first thread of visiting Poe's grave. That sounds like an incredible idea for a meet-up.

Also, speaking of Viga: if I can fit an outfit in my suitcase, I may be able to gothloli it up with you! :D

EDIT: And Alex, your OP/ED panel is on my list of must-see events. ♥
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Yeah, Poe's grave would be cool. I haven't actually read any of his stuff, shame on me, but the significance would not be lost on me.
  • That's a pretty good time because there's nothing doing on the schedule.
  • The problem I had with the supposed Saturday times is that they conflict with Japanese guest panels, which are always a must see (because they flew out to the US just for us!).

I'd also propose Saturday from 8:00 pm to 9:30/10:00 pm.
  • Forgive me for doubleposting from another thread, but I feel this is necessary in each thread

Here is my Otakon Schedule. If anyone is going to any and/or all these panels, tell me so I can find you!

Friday, July 17, 2009
    Know Your Creators – Panel Room 4 – 10:00
    J-Music 101: An Introduction to the Japanese Music Industry – Panel Room 1 – 4:30 PM
    How to Become a Samurai in 1 Hour – Panel Room 5 – 5:45 PM
    Game Show Qualification – Workshop 2 – 6:30 PM
    Bandai Entertainment Panel – Panel Room 4 – 9:00 PM
    The Yaoi-ing Game – Panel Room 4 – 11: 00 PM

Saturday, July 18, 2009
    Surviving a Mech Attack – Panel Room 3 – 9:00 AM
    Uncle Yo – Panel Room 3 – 10:15 AM
    Fred Schodt Q&A – Panel Room 5 – 3:00 PM
    Cover Your Bases – Panel Room 6 – 4:15 PM
    Fred Schodt Autograph – Autograph Room 2 – 5:15 PM
    Beyond Dungeons & Dragons – Panel Room 6 – 6:45 PM
    How to Survive a Zombie Apocalypse – Panel Room 4 – 8:30 PM
    Otakon Game Show – Panel Room 3 – 10:30 PM

Sunday, July 19, 2009
    Steampunk Fashion – Panel Room 5 – 9:00 AM
    Osamu Tezuka, Astro Boy, and the Anime/Manga Revolution with Fred Schodt – Panel Room 2 – 12:00 PM

• I'd also propose Saturday from 8:00 pm to 9:30/10:00 pm.
    This is kinda late...I'm not sure if I can stay the whole time if this is what's decided on. I have to drive all the way back to North Carolina the same night, and I'm sure my dad (my relief driver) would rather we not get back at a COMPLETELY outrageous hour, seeing as we're getting up hellishly early the same morning to drive up...

• I'd also propose Saturday from 8:00 pm to 9:30/10:00 pm.
    This is kinda late...I'm not sure if I can stay the whole time if this is what's decided on. I have to drive all the way back to North Carolina the same night, and I'm sure my dad (my relief driver) would rather we not get back at a COMPLETELY outrageous hour, seeing as we're getting up hellishly early the same morning to drive up...
    Wow...Pretty ridiculous schedule...It does seem rather late.
    The Friday time gets in the way of an awesome looking show...I could potentially blow it off, but I feel like I would be missing something awesome. It's the Whose Line is it Anime show. I love Whose Line is it Anyway, so seeing that with Anime themes sounds pretty funny to me. Although it really depends entirely on the humor of those involved...
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2009
    I propose the 8:30 time period as I can skip Zombie Apocalypse as I can always buy that copy of Zombie Survival Guide or World War Z that I've always wanted.

EDIT:Also if anyone wants to, I can bring like a tin full of Gojira films and we could watch them anywhere that fits Otakon's Japan theme...maybe I should go to a con and ask if they want a large amount of godzilla films to be shown in a theatre.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Hmm...The 8:30 time period could work, I guess. It would cement what panels I see, so I could stop moaning about that.
    If it works for everyone else, then I'll be fine with it.
  • Also, speaking of Viga: if I can fit an outfit in my suitcase, I may be able to gothloli it up with you! :D
    Hooray! There's a fashion show on Sat I'm going gothloli with a friend too. Are you planning on going to that?

So is 5 - 7 on Fri definite?
    Only that long? C'mon we gotta spend more time than that. Couldn't we also meet on other days too?
    We shall. That's why Li said we should trade numbers pre con. That way we could text. If not I'm sure we will run into each other. All of us somehow.
  • So is 5 - 7 on Fri definite?
    That is perfect for me.
  • Yeah. If that's the best time, 5-7 on Friday, then I can do it.
  • No!!! Fred Schodt's Autograph is a once in lifetime thing! He might not live much longer.
  • Hooray! There's a fashion show on Sat I'm going gothloli with a friend too. Are you planning on going to that?

Possibly. We've had a gothloli fashion show for the last few years at my home con, so the Otakon show doesn't grab my attention so much. However, any event is better with friends, so if you're going, I could probably go with you. :D

Also, Fri 5-7 is splendid for me. Lordyupa, doesn't Fred Schodt have another signing block on Sunday? I don't have the schedule in front of me, but that's what I remember.
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2009
    Hooray! There's a fashion show on Sat I'm going gothloli with a friend too. Are you planning on going to that?

Possibly. We've had a gothloli fashion show for the last few years at my home con, so the Otakon show doesn't grab my attention so much. However, any event is better with friends, so if you're going, I could probably go with you. :D

Also, Fri 5-7 is splendid for me. Lordyupa, doesn't Fred Schodt have another signing block on Sunday? I don't have the schedule in front of me, but that's what I remember.
    Oh right! Hooray then!!

EDIT:Also, I'll act as Official Photographer of the events that take place there and upload them to my Flickr for everyone to see!!
    Post edited by Geo on
  • edited July 2009
    Sorry, the signing block is on Saturday, not Sunday. My bad. I noticed, though, that he doesn't have a signing session at all on Friday, so the meet-up wouldn't mess up your plans anyway. Did you by chance mix up Friday with Saturday?
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Okay, we've all been speculating when we are going to meet...but have never finalized anything whatsoever. We need to come up with a finalization in order for these plans to bear fruit. So...who is going to be leading this little get-together, where will we meet, and when will we meet. Otakon is rearing it's possibly beautiful, possibly ugly head soon and we have to this fast.
  • I guess Friday 5-7 seems like a relatively good/unanimous time, though I will no longer be in my Ness costume for that meeting.
    The where seems to be Poe's graveyard almost unanimously at this point as well.
    If Scrym has anything to add to/change about this, then hopefully they will soon.
  • I'm guessing we're meeting up somewhere on the con grounds first and going to the grave from there, though, right? Where is usually a good place to meet others in the experience of people who have attended Otakon before? Also, we don't really need a "leader" for a friendly get-together. Anarchy in the UK! At best, people who have been to Otakon/Baltimore before can better guide the rest toward the cemetary.
  • If we're going to meet inside the center how about the Otacafe? It's never that crowded whenever I went by it. Plus since it's not a huge room we can see each other.
  • If we're going to meet inside the center how about the Otacafe? It's never that crowded whenever I went by it. Plus since it's not a huge room we can see each other.
    That sounds like a good plan. We just need the Scrym seal of approval and we're all set.
  • Okay, we've all been speculating when we are going to meet...but have never finalized anything whatsoever.
    When I meet hungryjoe, it will be on top of a grassy hill. We will be armed. We will smoke our pipes, and then, we must fight, for there can be only one.
  • Okay, we've all been speculating when we are going to meet...but have never finalized anything whatsoever.
    When I meet hungryjoe, it will be on top of a grassy hill. We will be armed. We will smoke our pipes, and then, we must fight, for there can be only one.
    There can only be one Highlander!
    There can only be one Highlander!
    Which one is the Spaniard Sean Connery?
  • Oops, posted this to the wrong thread initially. Here we go.

Just to recap, 5 - 7 PM, initial meet-up at the Otacafe and heading to Poe's grave from there (hopefully with someone who knows the way there). Just need to know: does anyone know where exactly will the Otacafe be yet, or is that going to be printed later in the con guide?
  • Just to recap, 5 - 7 PM, initial meet-up at the Otacafe and heading to Poe's grave from there (hopefully with someone who knows the way there). Just need to know: does anyone know where exactly will the Otacafe be yet, or is that going to be printed later in the con guide?
    I think Joe is going to be going to the meet-up, but if he isn't, I know where Poe's grave is.
  • Oops, posted this to the wrong thread initially. Here we go.

Just to recap, 5 - 7 PM, initial meet-up at the Otacafe and heading to Poe's grave from there (hopefully with someone who knows the way there). Just need to know: does anyone know where exactly will the Otacafe be yet, or is that going to be printed later in the con guide?
    3rd floor on the far left I think unless they changed the layout this year. Friday, right?