This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The FRC fantasy band league

edited July 2009 in Forum Game
Just like the studio league, create your dream band and write about what their album would be like.

Lead Guitar:John Petrucci, I absolutely love his playing style, the melodic content in his writing is amazing.
Rhythm Guitar: Mårten Hagström, rhythm for Meshuggah, nuff' said.
Bass:Les Claypool, this guy never stops blowing my mind, not to mention he is willing to experiment.
Drums: Terry Bozzio, amazing drummer with an insane kit.
Vocals: Marco Hietala, his vocals are the perfect bridge between the melodic and the chaotic aspects that this band will surely present.

Album: I'm imagining a gigantic concept album with extremely long epics, switching between the chaotic and the melodic with ease, polyrhythms abound, experimental, weird lyrics.

Comments

• Option 1:

Vocals: Matt Barlow (Iced Earth) - His vocal range is among the best in metal, and his voice is gritty and powerful.

Lead Guitar: Chris Broderick (former Jag Panzer, former Nevermore, currently Megadeth) - An extremely talented and versatile guitarist, he plays intricate and emotional leads without being too pretentious. He's also a classical and jazz guitarist, lending a good deal of diversity to the music.

Rhythm Guitar: Jon Schaffer (Iced Earth) - It feels a little like cheating including two people from the same band, but the combination of Matt Barlow and Jon Schaffer has produced some of my favorite music in the world. Schaffer's galloping, crunchy guitars provide a solid foundation of power for some epic music.

Bass Guitar: Steve DiGiorgio (pretty much everyone) - He's extremely technical, and has worked with a wide variety of metal bands over his time. He's also a very talented jazz bassist, which, combined with Broderick's classical guitar training, would make for some very interesting jazz breaks.

Drummer: Gene Hoglan (former Death, former Strapping Young Lad) - Probably one of the best drummers on planet Earth, his drumming is eerily precise, and very powerful. He would provide the backbone for a driving rhythm section, as well as being talented and versatile enough to stand out on his own.

Album: I'm imagining powerful vocals and compelling, driving music. I'm thinking concept album, but more in a thematic way and less in a "continuous story" way that so many bands seem to try. Driving, powerful melodies and rhythms would be interspersed with the complex interplay of jazz and classical elements, creating densely textured music.

Option 2:

Nick Cave and Tom Waits. I have no idea who'd do what, but it'd kick ass.
  • My band. Dammit! ^_^
  • Whaleshark: that sounds like it'll be Progressive metal like Pain of Salvation/DT.
  • Whaleshark: that sounds like it'll be Progressive metal like Pain of Salvation/DT.
    Sort of, but a tad more focused than most prog metal. My main issue with DT right now is that the music is often very wandering and unfocused. I prefer music that wanders a bit but winds up coming back down to the main body without straying too far. That's why I like Jon Schaffer as the rhythm anchor; his strong playing can pull the wandering elements back down to earth. Hoglan also serves to keep things moving, instead of just drifting around in a cloud of notes.

But yeah, it's very proggy metal. I like that.
  • Hmm...Some of them might be dead...But who cares!

Lead Vocals: Takanori Nishikawa (T.M.Revolution)
    Piano/Keyboard and Lead Vocals: Freddie Mercury (Queen)
    Lead Guitar: Sam Totman (Dragonforce)
    Rhythm Guitar and Backup Vocals: Yamanaka Sawao (the pillows)
    Bass Guitar and Backup Vocals: Geddy Lee (Rush)
    Drums: Roger Taylor (Queen)

Basically, a lot like T.M.R.'s or Queen's usual music, but with even more people playing awesome instruments. Nishikawa and Mercury would sing in harmony, with Sawao and Lee occasionally helping out in addition to their guitars. Totman would rock out with awesome solos, and Taylor would keep the drums going. I can't really comprehend how they'd sound, because it's too awesome.
  • Totman would rock out with awesome solos
    See, you think that, but in reality, Dragonforce sucks hard. They're an album band and can't actually keep that sort of thing up. Otherwise, I see some interesting potential in those choices.
  • Totman would rock out with awesome solos
    See, you think that, but in reality, Dragonforce sucks hard. They're an album band and can't actually keep that sort of thing up. Otherwise, I see some interesting potential in those choices.
    Well, I've seen a few live videos of them that didn't suck. I wouldn't make him play Dragonforce fast, just have similar melodies as that.
  • Well, I've seen a few live videos of them that didn't suck.
    Links please.
  • Well, I've seen a few live videos of them that didn't suck.
    Links please.
    Videos that didn't suck. Not necessarily good, but they weren't bad.
    Can't find a youtube, just a Dailymotion video.
    The singing sucks, and the guitar playing isn't amazing. But, he does play several parts well. If they weren't so stupidly fast, then it would probably sound awesome. In my dream band, he wouldn't be playing stuff that was that fast. It would be more moderate/normal guitar playing, and therefore he would rock it. Although that might not be Totman playing the lead in the video, it might be Herman Li. Honestly, they're interchangeable.
  • I'll definitely do this later.