This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Why Do You Go to Cons?

2»

Comments

• In the late 90's, early 00's I started going to show my work at artist's alley. Back then it was very, very small. Probably seven tables at most and on a 'whoever sat there first' sort of deal. Often artists only payed for spots on rare occasions, and only famous artists or guest artists were reserved space. I actually broke even at two Otacons because the alley was so small. Now they generally rival the dealer's rooms in size, and it can be difficult for new artists to get noticed.
    But it's so much more awesome! The artist alley is the only thing I find really interesting at cons these days, because you can meet all sorts of cool concept artists and comic authors, both amateur and pro. My weeaboo days of wanting to buy all sorts of official merchandise are over, so the dealers room is kind of *shrug* but the alley always has some cool craft stuff I really like (like my new, handmade Boo DS case!)
    I won't deny that from an art buyer point of view, the A.A.'s have become far better. From an artist's point of view and from personal experience, the large numbers have been disastrous for me. There are many artists who are much more talented than I, or create work that has a very commercial look. Additionally (IMHO) a glut of yaoi/yrui art seekers have also spread like a plague and made a lot of art available well-rendered but unimaginative to appeal to the masses (but that's a rant for another day). While I enjoy looking around the A.A.'s, I don't usually find things I want to buy.
  • I won't deny that from an art buyer point of view, the A.A.'s have become far better. From an artist's point of view and from personal experience, the large numbers have been disastrous for me. There are many artists who are much more talented than I, or create work that has a very commercial look. Additionally (IMHO) a glut of yaoi/yrui art seekers have also spread like a plague and made a lot of art available well-rendered but unimaginative to appeal to the masses (but that's a rant for another day). While I enjoy looking around the A.A.'s, I don't usually find things I want to buy.
    Artist's alley isn't about art appreciation. It's about selling fan-made goods to fans. What you want it to be is not what it was ever meant to be. If artist's alley was supposed to be what you want it to be, then you would be able to complain. But it never claimed to be that.

Personally I think they should change artists alley. Instead, they should make it the FGC, fan generated content, room. If you're a fan who makes or does something, besides just consume, then that is the space to show it off and do your thing. The concentration only on art and making money I think limits the possibilities.
  • edited July 2009
    Additionally (IMHO) a glut of yaoi/yrui art seekers have also spread like a plague and made a lot of art available well-rendered but unimaginative to appeal to the masses (but that's a rant for another day).
    Guilty as charged. (Not I don't enjoy drawing the fujoshi stuff at least a little.) However, isn't most fanart kind of unimaginative? And isn't the alley getting more like Japanese doujinshi conventions? Competition is good for you, it makes you work harder. Sure, if there were only seven people and half of them were n00bs, you and I could rule the alley, but who wants that, really? To make a fraction of the money and meet all the cool pros that hang around is much better. Being with better people makes you stronger - it's the Darwin-principle applied to artists. Also, like I said, it's more about the crafts than the prints, these days, and about getting commissions. I can't put my DS in a painting or attach a print to my cell phone. If people want to see your art, they can just look at it on the web all the time. You won't make money, but you do get tons of publicity and make talented art friends, and I think that's worth 70 dollars. (See, and that's even if you don't sell anything!)
    Personally I think they should change artists alley. Instead, they should make it the FGC, fan generated content, room. If you're a fan who makes or does something, besides just consume, then that is the space to show it off and do your thing. The concentration only on art and making money I think limits the possibilities.
    I agree 100%!!
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • For cosplay, dealer's, a little bit of everything, but mostly for the experience I guess. I get to see people at Otakon that I don't see often, and I actually get to socialize in one of my few comfortable elements. Despite being an artist I've always been sorta "eh" about Artist Alley.

Boo DS case?!
  • edited July 2009
    My reasons for going to cons? I posted in this thread without posting them, so I ought to...
    I do it for the experience. In my daily life, I only have one person who I talk to on a regular basis all the time who likes anime and video games, and even he is highly uneducated compared to the people who roam these forums. Namely, he doesn't look up anything, he only knows what is put in front of him. Seeing people who like what I like and know what I'm talking about is an experience in and of itself.
    Seeing as how I don't have regular access to a credit card, dealer's rooms are nice for the things that I can't get at my local anime store. I can't go online, because my parents aren't going to spend tons of money online. Plus, I don't usually have lots of money, but whenever I go to cons, I can always manage to scrape up money from nearby sources.
    Artist's alleys are nice for me because I can't do any kind of art for crap. Therefore, when I have ideas, I can get awesome commissions, like the mecha I got drawn for me this year.
    Panels are great for hearing anime people talk. Again, I enjoy listening to people who are like me, especially when they can further enlighten me on topics I'm interested in.
    Cosplayers are amazing. Seeing some of these ridiculous costumes in person just shows me how dedicated a fanbase we are. Even though I am pretty bad at it, it inspires me to cosplay as characters I love solely for the purpose of doing it.
    Musical acts can be fun, although I missed out on a lot at Otakon besides the bit of VAMPS that I got to see. But, I always at least give the musical guests a chance at Tora-Con, and this year I was not disappointed.
    There's probably more, but I can't think of them. I'm young, and therefore cons are still able to be fun for me. Like Rym was saying at Otakon, being young is the best time for us to just do stuff. So, that's what cons are for me. I'm very sad that I now have 9 months or so before the next one...
    Post edited by Axel on
  • Like Rym was saying at Otakon, being young is the best time for us to just do stuff.
    Yeah... as I move further into my 20's, I begin to wonder when the time will come that I'm one of those "older" con-goers who stands out among all the young people and such. I know it's still a far ways off, but with my birthday coming up I keep thinking about getting older and how it'll eventually affect staples of my life.
  • Like Rym was saying at Otakon, being young is the best time for us to just do stuff.
    Yeah... as I move further into my 20's, I begin to wonder when the time will come that I'm one of those "older" con-goers who stands out among all the young people and such. I know it's still a far ways off, but with my birthday coming up I keep thinking about getting older and how it'll eventually affect staples of my life.
    It makes me wonder if I will still be into cons at 30...or 40!
  • It makes me wonder if I will still be into cons at 30...or 40!
    I plan to keep going when I get older. By then, I'm certain that there will be youngin's that will need education on The Way of the Geek.
  • edited July 2009
    I plan to keep going when I get older. By then, I'm certain that there will be youngin's that will need education on The Way of the
    Don't undersestimate the power of feeling old and creepy when 98% of the crowd is like 10 years younger than you. :) That's a small part of the reason I don't really go to punk shows anymore.
    Post edited by Funfetus on