This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Art Attack: The 3D thread of 3D awesomeness!

Comments

• This thread seems to be 1-D to me.
    Just what are you implying?
  • edited January 2010
    Posts are ordered only in the time dimension, not any others ^_^
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited January 2010
    In my Engineering Drawing class, I reverse engineered my model of Gurren from Gurren Lagann. I didn't get a lot of parts done, but it still looks pretty good. This pictures are made special using Autodesk Inventor's Rendering software.

imageimageimage

Actual picture of Gurren:
    Post edited by Axel on
  • Third picture: I also love the vector-render setting, maybe much too much. I use it all the time.

Man, this makes me want to model some mechs. They be nice and easy. Not so much of the facial musculature edge loops.
  • Third picture: I also love the vector-render setting, maybe much too much. I use it all the time.

Man, this makes me want to model some mechs. They be nice and easy. Not so much of the facial musculature edge loops.
    Yeah, I felt doing it illustration-style was appropriate, since it makes it looks Anime-esque. But the realistic render is cool too.
  • I'm far from what you would call an artists, so I left the world of 3D behind me in high school. This is getting me all misty-eyed-nostaligic to find a workable copy of Maya and just tool around in it for a while. I miss it so much :(
  • edited May 2010
    I'm getting back into Source mapping, and since I've been away from Hammer for so long I decided to make one of Grey's maps look nice to get some practice. When he sent it to me it was all blocks with dev textures and no lights.

(Bleh, I just realized how nasty the texturing is here. There's always something...)

Here's the BSP.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • So, uh, if this was the map that I think it was, then congratulations. You deserve a medal.
  • Can we see some "before" pictures?
  • Can we see some "before" pictures?
    Sure, I'll just have to get the original file from Grey next time he's online.
  • So, uh, if this was the map that I think it was, then congratulations. You deserve a medal.
    ;__;
    IT WAS NOT THAT BAD!
  • IT WAS NOT THAT BAD!
    it was all blocks with dev textures and no lights.
  • IT WAS NOT THAT BAD!
    it was all blocks with dev textures and no lights.
    PS: I hate you because you are right.
    Before:image
    You may all now be duly impressed with Günters skillz.

Grey walks off kicking the ground trying not to cry.
  • Günter wins.
  • Poor Grey.
  • edited February 2011
    Working on a game character for a Unity Demo, for volunteer work. Here's the head, with Greyscale diffuse and Normal map. Will keep you updated with stuff as I change and update it.

imageimage
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited February 2011
    Oh snap!
    Günter wins.
    Poor Grey.
    Jesus Effing Christ! It's hard to believe that is even the same map. Holy shit. Gunter, you win. You win HARD. What you just did is equivalent to sprinting for ten miles in QWOP. Holy shit.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Jesus Effing Christ! It's hard to believe that is even the same map. Holy shit. Gunter, you win. You win HARD. What you just did is equivalent to sprinting for ten miles in QWOP. Holy shit.
    Oh no, this is that thread. >_< Whatever man, I don't know anything about making maps pretty.
  • edited February 2011
    All it takes is practice. I've been making Half Life (1 & 2) maps on and off since I was ten.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Great, a 3D thread, thanks to gomidog for the heads up. (Loving the head, by the way, how's it coming up recently?)

I, too, shall be lazy and just post my last (first, kinda) demo reel:

This is my work from about august last year to january this year. Not really much or too impressive, but I'm just starting out, so bear with me XD.
  • This here is the Ranger Scout Car is South Vietnamese colours; it's design is intended to be "What the Jeep would have looked like if the T-bird designers had made it" to give it a 1950s flair; hence the rounded fenders, the fins, and the chrome bumpers. Ingame, it's role is fast reaction against probing Vietcong and NVA attacks; it can't move through the jungles, but it's extremely fast on the road, making it useful for reacting or patrolling but restricting it's ability to really scout out enemy forces hidden away. It's dashboard .30 cal throws out good reactive anti-infantry damage, while the rear-mounted chaingun, once spun up, goes all Predator on the local flora, shredding big patches of jungle and anything stupid enough to be inside it.

I've been working on this jeep-ish scout car for a little while now, for my RTS mod. Company of Heroes always impressed me with it's commitment to detail (crewmen visable inside vehicles, ammo chains etc) so I've decided there is no reason we couldn't shoot for something similar (though stylized) within the Red Alert 3 engine. Of course, being myself, I've pushed it a bit; an entire custom crew distinct from the regular infantry models, and each other, to give the ranger that rag-tag special forces feel the ARVN are supposed to have.

Obviously I'm not quite done; most of the fine detail work and shading isn't there yet, and there are no normal maps. I also have to figure out where teamcolour is going to go. Still, I"m pretty proud so far.

All in all, it's 6,792 tris and uses four 256 textures.
  • Hey, open_sketchbook, that looks nice.

I'd bake some AO on it, though, and maybe scale the textures bacik a little bit.

Also, are you sure you can use normal maps in the red alert 3 engine? o_o I don't think you can (But I really don't know XD)

Keep it up!
  • I'm well within the limits of the RA3 engine on this thing. I undercut the tri count a bit to make up for the number of animations it'll be playing, and as most vehicles average out to 512 one way or the other I'm feeling pretty good about the textures.

Also, looking through my files it seems this is the three hundredth model I've made for Paradox. Hooray for milestones!
  • I would also look at the resolution diffuse texture on the jeep. I think you ought to add some metal accents/painted accents, and make sure the camo is the same rez at the characters.
  • That's some pretty good stuff right there - I like the little detail of having one bloke with a slouch hat.
  • some classwork i be doin.

• I like the design, it's quite neat, but it reminds me of certain...female organs.
  • I like the design, it's quite neat, but it reminds me of certain...female organs.
    What, and other things don't remind you of male organs? I for one welcome more gynic symbols so that people are less weird about it.
  • Hey, I finished that jeep and it's been coded ingame, if anyone is interested.

There it is, alongside some other ARVN infantry (also by yours truly) Don't mind the floating shadows BTW; the engine does that for some reason, we're still figuring out a fix.