This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Art Attack: The 3D thread of 3D awesomeness!

Comments

• Curious if anyone has a mouse they love for 3D modelling? I'm pretty sick of my mighty mouse.
  • Curious if anyone has a mouse they love for 3D modelling? I'm pretty sick of my mighty mouse.
    Any mouse with 2 physical buttons and a clickable scrollwheel or with 3 physical buttons should do. I like my SteelSeries Kinzu.
    Actually, I have gotten used to using my wacom tablet for all modeling needs. Mighty Mouse is the bane of 3D modeling! I used it at work for a day, and then switched with one of the designers for a cheapo logitech. Anything is better than that.
    Actually, I have gotten used to using my wacom tablet for all modeling needs. Mighty Mouse is the bane of 3D modeling! I used it at work for a day, and then switched with one of the designers for a cheapo logitech. Anything is better than that.
    no kidding, eugh.

tablet is difficult for me, buttons are too awkward when they're on the pen.
  • I could never get used to panning/zooming/rotating the camera in Maya or 3DS Max with a tablet pen, which is a shame since I use it for everything else (Photoshop/Illustrator/After Effects/General Web Browsing.) So regular old Logitech mouse for me.
  • I could never get used to panning/zooming/rotating the camera in Maya or 3DS Max with a tablet pe
    You can do custom settings. It only takes a few days to get used to it.
  • edited May 2011
    I have a mouse with axis sticks that was designed for 3d modelling. I set it up to play video games as a novelty, and just use a regular mouse for 3d work.

I'm kind of wierd.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • I have a mouse with axis sticks that was designed for 3d modelling. I set it up to play video games as a novelty, and just use a regular mouse for 3d work.

I'm kind of wierd.
    This?
  • Yep. I got it at the college tech store; the box says it's preprogrammed for 3ds Max and Maya and designed for 3d work rather than gaming, but it might have just been a repackaging for students. It's singularly useless for models but surprisingly useful for space sims.
  • I have the same thing. I mostly just use the sticks for things like voice-chat, fraps, etc.
  • Alright I had my first 3D course this semester. And yeah, I messed up the texture scaling in the glass container on the table :/
  • Alright I had my first 3D course this semester. And yeah, I messed up the texture scaling in the glass container on the table :/
    That's pretty awesome for a first class. I'll take that kitchen.
  • Well, I tried to recreate this Ikea kitchen inspiration.
  • I reckon you did a pretty damn good job.
  • I will also take that kitchen.
  • I will also take that kitchen.
    Two kitchens? Wow, you must really cook up a storm.
    I reckon you did a pretty damn good job.
    Eeeyup.
  • I can't wait until you learn how to adjust the color of your lights. Looks nice!
  • I threw together a render for this mecha for Paradox, which I just set up the rig for.

3,406 tris, 512x texture on the body, 256 on the shield and flag (the shield and flag randomly change each time you build one)
  • edited August 2011
    This might be of interest to you 3d designing people. Apparently, you can get Maya for free if you're a student.
    Autodesk Student
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • This might be of interest to you 3d designing people. Apparently, you can get Maya for free if you're a student.
    Autodesk Student
    Yeah, but only for three years.
  • only
    three years.
  • edited August 2011
    Sarcastic green is sarcastic.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • Sarcastic green is sarcastic.
    Why hasn't I been informed of this?
  • Sarcastic green is sarcastic.
    You must be new here.
  • edited August 2011
    Nobody needs to be informed of others shortcomings. They can't catch on to sarcasm, irony or jokes, so they have to aid themselves. I too feel sorry for them, but try not to show my pity too much.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • Nobody needs to be informed of others shortcomings. They can't catch on to sarcasm, irony or jokes, so they have to aid themselves. I too feel sorry for them, but try not to show my pity too much.
    I used to be like that, but then I found out Americans have literally no equivalent for "Taking the piss". I'm a little softer and more helpful to them with it now.
  • I used to be like that, but then I found out Americans have literally no equivalent for "Taking the piss". I'm a little softer and more helpful to them with it now.
    You want them to stay weak? Do you not wish for them to be better men and women? Do you not desire more equals? Coddling them in these situations aren't helpful. Treat them like you would your fellow countrymen, proper.
  • You want them to stay weak? Do you not wish for them to be better men and women? Do you not desire more equals? Coddling them in these situations aren't helpful. Treat them like you would your fellow countrymen, proper.
    That would be like talking to them in basque, without making any attempt to teach them how to speak basque. It wouldn't help.
  • It wouldn't help.
    Yes it would. This is Apreche's world we live in. You don't need to have consideration for anyone else (unless they live in Somalia apparently) because everyone is the same, and if they're not, they suck. Besides, people are clever enough to realize you don't mean 'procreation' when you say 'fuck'. Nobody procreates after all in Apreche's world.
  • edited August 2011
    Yes it would. This is Apreche's world we live in. You don't need to have consideration for anyone else (unless they live in Somalia apparently) because everyone is the same, and if they're not, they suck. Besides, people are clever enough to realize you don't mean 'procreation' when you say 'fuck'. Nobody procreates after all in Apreche's world.
    Consider the idioms I've taught you over the years that were practically impenetrable to you previously. Same sort of deal.
    Post edited by Churba on