This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Scott Scott Robot

Comments

• Ok, so two NYCCs ago I bought the RX-78-2 Real Grade Gundam. It just looked too amazing in the display case. I mean, damn. The thing is, it was a little more complex than what I was used to, so I didn't start it. Then when I went to NYCC again this year I saw a Real Grade Freedom Gundam, my favorite Gundam. Are you shitting me?

Then Gerald from AWO decides to start this mecha month thing. So I figure I better get started. I start doing some research.

First, I have always used the X-Acto knife to separate the parts. Apparently that is wrong. There is a tool called a flush cutter. Also, I found out that there are water-slip decals for the RX-78-2 RG that I bought. I also found out that there are angled tweezers for applying decals.

I ended up buying the RG Freedom, the water decals, and this tool set.

It took over a month, but the decals and the Freedom Gundam finally arrived. I figure since the Freedom doesn't have water decals, and I've already built two freedom Gundams, I will build that first as RG practice. Then do the old school one.

Lessons learned:

Flush cutters are amazing. I can't believe I ever made models without them. OMG.

So far all I've done is make the feet of the RG Freedom, and I can tell you that Real Grade is amazing. I've made 1/100 MG and 1/144 HG Gundams before, they all suck ass compared to RG. I now have absolutely no interest in making anything that isn't at least as good as RG. I've never made perfect grade, but I can't imagine it being as good as RG considering the price.
  • So I went to the closest Hobbytown USA today and got this and a few paints.
  • I recently built a model kit for an SD Gundam I got in a hobby shop in San Francisco for $10 and it was super fun. I want to do more, "real" kits but I realized that because I've never watched any Gundam, it's hard to browse online because I'm not familiar with any of the robot designs. I'll watch some Gundam eventually, but for now, can anyone make some suggestions for me on what the bitchin'est HG kits are to get me started?
  • My recommendation is to watch some Gundam first. If you watch it, then you will have a favorite Gundam. Then build whatever your favorite one is, and you will have more motivation. My favorite is the Freedom Gundam. The first model I ever made was the 1/100 Freedom Gundam. I've built two other Freedom Gundam models since then. A 1/100 special finish version, and the Real Grade version.

So which Gundam to watch? There are two pretty good starting places to get some "real" Gundam. There are some other good Gundams out there, like War in the Pocket and 08th MS Team, but they are sort of weird offshoots.

Gundam SEED is the best, and was the first real Gundam experience I had. Just skim through the occasional recap episode to save time. Full epic space drama. Highly recommended.

Alternatively can watch the original Gundam. Also known as Mobile Suit Gundam, or Gundam 0079. You could watch all the TV episodes, but there are three movies which give you the whole show in a compressed form to save time. The movies were available on YouTube for free, legally. I watched them there just recently. Now I can't find them. Perhaps they were removed?

Here are some simple model kits from the original Gundam and Gundam SEED that I would suggest.

Can't go wrong with the original! Super cheap, too. The only thing is that it is all white. You have to paint it. It's so cheap though, great for practice painting! I'm thinking about buying two or three to learn to paint.
    http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN72385

The original Zaku. Also needs some small amount of painting. Also super cheap. Gotta have something to shoot at. A ninja turtle isn't any fun without some foot soldiers.
    http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN76159

Aile Strike. The main robot in Gundam SEED. It's 1/144 size, so it's small and you should be able to finish it quickly. Doesn't need painting. Should teach you all the skills for basic Gundaming. Will have a few decals and all that. The finished product will be very articulate and have different weapons and posing options to increase the fun and excitement.
    http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN914204

1/100 Freedom. The first Gundam I ever made. If you watch the show, you'll know why it's so awesome. Other than that, it has everything. Shield, beam sabers, crazy wings, rifle, the works. Not hard to put together, and not so expensive.
    http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN919259

The thing is, you are a smart person. No matter what 1/100 or 1/144 Gundam you pick, you will be able to build it just fine. Once you feel comfortable building those HG and MG models, I highly recommend the RG (Real Grade) series. As I said before, now that I've done real grade, the other grades really don't do anything for me. I've never done Perfect Grade, but I never plan to. Not worth the money.
  • Also, don't forget the tool set I mentioned above.
    Tamiya Basic Tool Set
  • Scott, you forgot 08th MS Team, which is pretty handily the best of the various Gundam series.
  • Scott, you forgot 08th MS Team, which is pretty handily the best of the various Gundam series.
    That's a funny way to spell G Gundam.
  • edited January 2012
    Scott, you forgot 08th MS Team, which is pretty handily the best of the various Gundam series.
    That's a funny way to spell G Gundam.
    I think you're keyboard must be broken. Obviously when you try to type "08th MS Team," it's thinking that you're hitting all the wrong letters, which is the only possible way I could imagine "G Gundam" coming out.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • So which Gundam to watch? There are two pretty good starting places to get some "real" Gundam. There are some other good Gundams out there, like War in the Pocket and 08th MS Team, but they are sort of weird offshoots.
  • So which Gundam to watch? There are two pretty good starting places to get some "real" Gundam. There are some other good Gundams out there, like War in the Pocket and 08th MS Team, but they are sort of weird offshoots.
    *facepalm*
    This is what I get for skimming posts instead of reading them. My apologies.
  • Awesome, thank you for the super thorough post, Scott. That definitely gives me a good idea of where I want to start. About the tool kit though, I actually already own a side cutter, an array of tiny sized screwdrivers, and an Xacto knife. Is there a reason I still should get that kit?

As for actually watching Gundam, Gerald and Daryl suggested starting with the original compilation movies on AWO, so that's what I was planning to watch first. I actually still have SEED on one of my computers because I downloaded it after you guys talked about it on Geeknights a loooooong time ago, so I'll certainly make that one of the first things I watch too.
  • Awesome, thank you for the super thorough post, Scott. That definitely gives me a good idea of where I want to start. About the tool kit though, I actually already own a side cutter, an array of tiny sized screwdrivers, and an Xacto knife. Is there a reason I still should get that kit?

As for actually watching Gundam, Gerald and Daryl suggested starting with the original compilation movies on AWO, so that's what I was planning to watch first. I actually still have SEED on one of my computers because I downloaded it after you guys talked about it on Geeknights a loooooong time ago, so I'll certainly make that one of the first things I watch too.
    The side cutter is the most important tool. If you have that, you are set. But, the file is kinda handy, an the angle tweezer is choice for applying decals. Screwdrivers and such are hardly necessary. I've never seen a Gundam model with a screw. The only model with a screw I have is Mazinger Z, who has one screw.

• Shouldn't everyone already have a set of small screwdrivers already? For electronics and whatnot?
  • The side cutter is the most important tool. If you have that, you are set. But, the file is kinda handy, an the angle tweezer is choice for applying decals. Screwdrivers and such are hardly necessary. I've never seen a Gundam model with a screw. The only model with a screw I have is Mazinger Z, who has one screw.
    As it just so happens, I recently built my MG Master Gundam at Gerald's indirect behest for Mecha Month, and it has several screws, two in each knee and elbow, if memory serves, maybe a couple more elsewhere. Screws are mostly in the older Bandai models, their joint design has progressed enough that they aren't all that necessary anymore.
  • This is going to be the next Gundam I buy: image

Crossbone Gundam, AKA Harlock Gundam
  • The side cutter is the most important tool.
    Just make sure you get a Full-flush pair, rather than the usual semi-flush.
  • What series are the pirate Gundams from? I saw a bunch in a figure shop here but had no idea where they're from.
  • What series are the pirate Gundams from? I saw a bunch in a figure shop here but had no idea where they're from.
    I don't think they are from a series. They make a lot of model kits that never actually appear in a show. Also, there are a lot of weird Gundam manga out there that only the most hardcore of Gundam fans care or know about. They have all sorts of obscure characters and Gundams in them. Almost all of them get made into a model kit at some point.

For example Gundam SEED Astray includes 9 manga volumes and 2 OAV episodes.

Look how many model kits there are for that spinoff. http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljlist?Word=astray&x=0&y=0&Dae=All&Series=All&Dis=2
  • edited January 2012
    The Crossbone Gundam is from a manga aptly titled Mobile Suit Crossbone Gundam.
    For example Gundam SEED Astray includes 9 manga volumes and 2 OAV episodes.

Look how many model kits there are for that spinoff. http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljlist?Word=astray&x=0&y=0&Dae=All&Series=All&Dis=2
    I have this one: http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN960998. First Master Grade Gundam I have ever built.

Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • edited January 2012
    Crossbone Gundam, AKA Harlock Gundam
    That thing looks fucking sweet.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • That thing looks fucking sweet.
    Which one?

• edited January 2012
    Harlock-bot.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Something went off in my brain when I looked at this thread.

Somebody needs to get a statue or figure or something of Boss Borot from the Mazinger series and repaint it so we can have Scott Scott Borot.
  • Harlock-bot.
    Hells yeah.

• Don't forget a 10pc file set. link

I have a multi-piece X-Acto set as well. link

I do need a new set of side-cutters. Someone in my home decided to try and cut a paper clip with them and it did not turn out well for the cutters.
  • edited January 2012
    Damnit guys. Now I'm researching air brushes.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • What sort of painting does a gundam need? I'd think that the individual pieces that you put together would already be the appropriate color, but I'm sure I'm wrong.

Also, do you need to primer the gundam before painting it?

• What sort of painting does a gundam need? I'd think that the individual pieces that you put together would already be the appropriate color, but I'm sure I'm wrong.
    Almost every modern Gundam model you build will already be the appropriate color. Some of them are specifically not supposed to be painted. For example I build this extra finish Freedom Gundam. If you paint it, then you might as well have gotten the regular one, and not the special one. There are still a few models that do require painting and are all one solid color.

There are other reasons to paint a Gundam, even if the pieces are all the right color. For one, even if you use flush cutters, there will still be marks on the model. Even if you file them, it will not be perfect. The only way to get a model that is 100% perfect and smooth and beautiful in every detail is to paint it.

Also, while the model will look pretty good with its original color, you can paint it to make it look even better. Get some shading or some other effects on there. You might also start going crazy in the hobby and want to make a Gundam that is non-standard color. Maybe make your own Gundam that is Rainbow Dash color.
    Also, do you need to primer the gundam before painting it?
    I have no idea. I am researching.
  • Also, do you need to primer the gundam before painting it?
    Since you're painting onto plastic, I'd assume so, but I don't know how well the paint takes to the plastic used.
  • edited January 2012
    Last night I put in an order for some Gundam markers. As I understand it, they can be used for both detailing and painting. Gonna start by testing it out on my SD Gundam, cuz I don't really care too much about it, and see how it goes.

Also, I started SEED and watched Model Suit Gunpla, since it's all on YouTube and AWO said it was entertaining. It was quite entertaining indeed. So entertaining that I also ordered two of the kits that were made for the show, this because I like the design, and this because it is fucking awesome and ridiculous for obvious reasons as well as other reasons that are revealed in the show.
    It has a recorder flute that shoots LASERS.
    Next thing I get will probably be the Freedom, though.
    Post edited by Sail on