This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Scott Scott Robot

13»

Comments

• Last night I put in an order for some Gundam markers. As I understand it, they can be used for both detailing and painting. Gonna start by testing it out on my SD Gundam, cuz I don't really care too much about it, and see how it goes.

Also, I started SEED and watched Model Suit Gunpla, since it's all on YouTube and AWO said it was entertaining. It was quite entertaining indeed. So entertaining that I also ordered two of the kits that were made for the show, this because I like the design, and this because it is fucking awesome and ridiculous for obvious reasons as well as reasons that are revealed in the show.
    It has a recorder flute that it shoots LASERS FROM.
    Next thing I get will probably be the Freedom, though.
    Don't get a Freedom Gundam until you have seen it in the show and understand why it is the awesomest.
  • Since this is relevant to the current discussion on painting here is the leg from the Ez8 I'm currently doing. While the foot piece is the correct color you would still have to paint it to get it to match with the actual gundam.
  • I just had a crazy thinking.

Use a makerbot and print a model kit. Has it been done? To the Googles!
  • I just had a crazy thinking.

Use a makerbot and print a model kit. Has it been done? To the Googles!
    Brilliant. I look forward to the day where I can buy modeling files for a few bucks from Bandai and then print them at home.

• I just got an HG Blitz Gundam. I have no idea what materials I should get to paint it with, though. Would my 40K Vallejo Acrylic Paints work on these things? Is brush painting viable for gundam models?
  • So I was considering going all in on airbrush and such. Instead I decided to take a small step. First I bought the FG-01, the first Gundam.

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN72385

I actually bought THREE of them. It's the simplest possible Gundam. It's a remake of the original Gundam kit. The thing is, all the plastic is sort of this light green color. You MUST paint it. I decided to try the basic set of Gundam Marker. I should learn about paint in general before I get fancy with an airbrush. Even just painting one piece white I've already learned a ton of shit.

The number one thing I've learned is that you need to paint somewhere super clean otherwise dust and shit gets all in the paint and such if it hasn't dried yet. So if you sand a part to make it smooth before painting, you've gotta clean that shit up before you paint it. Otherwise you gotta sand and paint all over again.

A layer of paint is really really thin. If you do it right you don't even realize it's paint. It just looks like you changed the color of the piece.

If you are using a light color of paint, like white, you need a few coats to make the green color completely disappear.

Paint, even from a marker, can get tiny annoying bubbles in it. Fuck!

What's really upsetting is I'm somewhat sure that the airbrush makes a lot of these problems go away, or at least reduces them. The paint dries faster because it is thinned. You don't get bubbles. And the blasting air blows all the dust away.

I still plan to finish this one entirely with Gundam Marker. We'll see how it comes out.