This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of your Day Religious Argument: July 30th 2009

Comments

• I say that he pretty firmly established the precedent of talking to only one guy because he did it all the time.
    I guess the point I failed to make is that while God hasn't often talked to one dude, it's not expressly written that it has to be that way.
  • edited July 2009

Axel, do you think God talks to YOU? Do you hear his voice? Does he tell you what to do?
    No. God doesn't do the whole "Appear in front of you, Burning Bush style" thing anymore. God claims that you can understand him through the Bible and his word. That's what I try to understand him through.

And you're right, I was being vague and rushed when I typed that. What I really meant was that God never claimed that he would pick one guy to talk to and make him the ultimate leader of our religion, better than all the rest, and give him the right to make laws. He's given people the right to enforce his laws, but never to make their own.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • edited July 2009
    Technically, pretty much everything is a sin.
    Typing on a computer keyboard?

Axel, do you think God talks to YOU? Do you hear his voice? Does he tell you what to do?
    No. God doesn't do the whole "Appear in front of you, Burning Bush style" thing anymore. God claims that you can understand him through the Bible and his word. That's what I understand him through.
    Why not? Who are you to limit Him? How can you know? Why do you have so much faith in your edited and re-edited story book?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I kinda dislike that you misquoted me almost entirely to make me sound like a complete a-hole.
    Alright, I'm sorry. I didn't intentionally misquote you. I mis-remembered what you said. Regardless, your position is apparently that if Dahmer was sincere in his acceptance of Christ's love, he's up there in heaven, despite having raped, murdered, cooked and eaten over a dozen boys your age. So does Gandhi get to go to heaven if he accepted Christ's love, despite apparently believing in a lot of other religions at the same time? I never heard that you could do that when I was growing up. I think you might be a member of some freaky, fringe cult group.
  • If you can drive, and someone suddenly rushes ahead of you in a lane-merger so that they can be in front of you, and you get pissed off and curse them in your head, that's a sin. I know, you feel like you have every right to be mad, but that's a sin. As small as it is, it is one sin that separates you from God. And that's the part that bothers people, and turns them away.
    Ok, you want to play that game. Did you eat meat on Wednesday or Friday?
  • edited July 2009
    I kinda dislike that you misquoted me almost entirely to make me sound like a complete a-hole.
    Alright, I'm sorry. I didn't intentionally misquote you. I mis-remembered what you said. Regardless, your position is apparently that if Dahmer was sincere in his acceptance of Christ's love, he's up there in heaven, despite having raped, murdered, cooked and eaten over a dozen boys your age. So does Gandhi get to go to heaven if he accepted Christ's love, despite apparently believing in a lot of other religions at the same time? I never heard that you could do that when I was growing up. I think you might be a member of some freaky, fringe cult group.
    I don't condone Gandhi believing in multiple religions. But Jesus claims that if you believe in him, you're accepted into Heaven. Even if Gandhi drew on other religions for their moral ideas, those are pretty similar to Christianity's morals. Studying multiple religions to draw on their moral lessons isn't really a problem. It's the religious and/or deity-type beliefs that are where you have to draw a line. Gandhi perhaps was forgiven by Jesus, but also maintained numerous moral ideas from religions. If that was so, then he went to Heaven. But there's a good chance it wasn't, so I dunno.
    Also, it's not that this doesn't bother me, it's just that it's what the Bible says. I don't think it's ridiculous, but it's not pleasant at all, I admit it. But, that really gets us absolutely nowhere, I'm just saying I agree with you that it is almost twisted. But I attribute it to God having far more of a capacity for forgiveness than an average human.
    Also, apology accepted. I just wasn't sure if you were misquoting me purposefully or not.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • If you can drive, and someone suddenly rushes ahead of you in a lane-merger so that they can be in front of you, and you get pissed off and curse them in your head, that's a sin. I know, you feel like you have every right to be mad, but that's a sin. As small as it is, it is one sin that separates you from God. And that's the part that bothers people, and turns them away.
    Not eating meat was a punishment for one's sins. I already mentioned the deal on punishments. God made those rules later, as punishments for people not following his first rules. Therefore, when Jesus provides an alternative, those rules don't apply. See my post somewhere up there for more in depth.
  • I don't see the problem Dahmer being in heaven if he truely repented for his sins. It's not like he's going to fool God. If he didn't actually change then he'll burn in hell. If he actually sought Jesus' forgiveness honestly and Jesus grants it then why can't he go to heaven?
  • edited July 2009
    If you can drive, and someone suddenly rushes ahead of you in a lane-merger so that they can be in front of you, and you get pissed off and curse them in your head, that's a sin. I know, you feel like you have every right to be mad, but that's a sin. As small as it is, it is one sin that separates you from God. And that's the part that bothers people, and turns them away.
    Not eating meat was a punishment for one's sins. I already mentioned the deal on punishments. God made those rules later, as punishments for people not following his first rules. Therefore, when Jesus provides an alternative, those rules don't apply. See my post somewhere up there for more in depth.
    Actually, you need to read the Bible a bit more closely if you want to be right about your own cult.

Jesus affirmed that the sins of the Old Testament are still sins. Re-read your story book, and you'll understand what gedavids is talking about.
    I don't see the problem Dahmer being in heaven if he truely repented for his sins. It's not like he's going to fool God. If he didn't actually change then he'll burn in hell. If he actually sought Jesus' forgiveness honestly and Jesus grants it then why can't he go to heaven?
    Maybe . . . because it's not there?
  • Not eating meat was a punishment for one's sins.
    Actually no, it's not a punishment at all. It's to honor the days Jesus was betrayed and crucified. To eat something decadent like meat on those two days is to not honor Jesus' sacrifice, and that's why it's a sin to the Greek Orthodox.
  • edited July 2009
    If you can drive, and someone suddenly rushes ahead of you in a lane-merger so that they can be in front of you, and you get pissed off and curse them in your head, that's a sin. I know, you feel like you have every right to be mad, but that's a sin. As small as it is, it is one sin that separates you from God. And that's the part that bothers people, and turns them away.
    Actually, you need to read the Bible a bit more closely if you want to be right about your own cult.

Jesusaffirmed that the sins of the Old Testament are still sins. Re-read Leviticus, and you'll understand what gedavids is talking about.
    I know Leviticus, I know what he's talking about.

Okay, let's take your side. It's a sin. I'm sorry that I don't follow that rule, I wish I could be more devout, really. Jesus forgives me. Therefore, it is not any more a problem.

Granted, this does not mean you can just rampantly do bad things. You have to be sorry. I am sorry that I don't have a better eating schedule, because I am very picky, and that eating schedule would probably not work for me and my stupid picky-ness. I am sorry I offended God and Jesus by eating meat on that day.
    Also, is that in the Bible, gedavids? I have one with me, so if you know the verse, or at least the Book and possibly chapter, I can look for that section and see what I make of it. Talking about the Bible is hard based on hearsay, and I can't remember everything in the Bible, few can, so I'd like to look at where it is.

But I still take the place that is different from other sins. God introduced the rules in Leviticus because people wouldn't follow the 10 Commandments. God needed to provide some way for people to earn their way into Heaven at first, and when the 10 Commandments weren't it, he introduced this. While the rules may still be sins, it all comes down to the fact that Jesus forgives you of everything.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • edited July 2009
    Maybe . . . because it's not there?
    For the sake of the argument, let's assume that God, heaven, and hell exist.
    I am sorry that I don't have a better eating schedule, because I am very picky, and that eating schedule would probably not work for me.
    You can't be bothered to eat beans instead of meat two days a week? What do you do during Great Lent?
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited July 2009
    Deleted, combined with above.
  • I am sorry that I don't have a better eating schedule, because I am very picky, and that eating schedule would probably not work for me.
    You can't be bothered to eat beans instead of meat two days a week? What do you do during Great Lent?
    Lent isn't in the Bible.

Yeah.
  • Plus, why is everything a sin? It's like everyone has to go "I'm sorry for not being perfect!"

That's a weird way to think. Why would God make us imperfect and then say "be sorry or else!"
  • edited July 2009
    Plus, why is everything a sin? It's like everyone has to go "I'm sorry for not being perfect!"

That's a weird way to think. Why would God make us imperfect and then say "be sorry or else!"
    Well, we didn't sin at first. Adam and Eve made that choice. They used to be perfect, but then they chose to sin. And we choose to sin everyday. No one can be perfect, but we choose to sin. We choose to give in to temptation. You can't honestly say it's not your fault that you sin, can you? Didn't you make that choice? Didn't I make that choice? Dont' we all?
    Also, we can choose to sin because we have free will. Are you really gonna complain that God gave us that?
    Post edited by Axel on
  • edited July 2009
    But what determines what a sin is? All Eve chose was the knowledge of good and evil, in essence the ability to make moral judgments. It was a conscience that supposedly separated men from animals.

Also, do you really believe in the literal Adam and Eve story?
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • But what determines what a sin is?
    A sin is this: Anything that goes against God's plan. God defined everything that is a sin in the Bible.
  • edited July 2009
    Lent isn't in the Bible.

Yeah.
    Yes, but these are traditions created to honor Jesus' sacrifice. I just can't fathom how people can believe in Jesus and not honor the traditions around his sacrifice.
  • But what determines what a sin is?
    A sin is this: Anything that goes against God's plan. God defined everything that is a sin in the Bible.
    Which Bible?
  • edited July 2009
    Lent isn't in the Bible.

Yeah.
    Yes, but these are traditions created to honor Jesus' sacrifice? I just can't fathom how people can believe in Jesus and not honor the traditions around his sacrifice.
    I honor it by believing in him and doing what he said. He didn't say we needed to have all these restrictions when he died, a person made that up. This is my exact problem with older religions. People making stuff up because of what they thought.
    I don't care about what another human has to say is religiously important. I care about what the Bible says. As for the Pastor, he simply gives us an interpretation of the Bible rather than telling us what is 100% the most important, so I find his words interesting to consider in my own personal interpretation. But I don't particularly care about what he believes.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • Which Bible?
    His perfect bible, obviously.
  • Which Bible?
    New International Version. Already said that.
  • Which Bible?
    Has the New International Version never been edited? Never been touched by human hands? It's the direct word of God? It's how God speaks directly to you? It's not to be interpreted in any way but the way you interpret it"
  • New International Version. Already said that.
    And what makes this one the "right" one?
  • edited July 2009

How do you know that the Bible is true?
    Post edited by Diagoras on
  • edited July 2009
    Apparently, your Bible has been translated, edited, and revised. Was this work done by humans or did God speak directly to the committees putting this together in the 70s?
  • I honor it by believing in him and doing what he said. He didn't say we needed to have all these restrictions when he died, a person made that up. This is my exact problem with older religions. People making stuff up because of what they thought.
    I don't care about what another human has to say is religiously important. I care about what the Bible says. As for the Pastor, he simply gives us an interpretation of the Bible rather than telling us what is important, so I find his words interesting to consider in my own personal interpretation.
    Then you don't have a religion, now do you? What you have is a book and faith, which is fine, I'm not saying you're wrong (everyone else is.) But a religion is more than that. It's customs, traditions, and faith all wrapped up together. It's more than just one person and God. Take for example Greek orthodox easter. The tradition is that we get a lot of food, lamb on a spite among that, and run around all day saying "Christ has risen!" to each other. Yes, it's arbitrary, but it's our traditional way of honoring Jesus' sacrifice.
  • I honor it by believing in him and doing what he said. He didn't say we needed to have all these restrictions when he died, a person made that up. This is my exact problem with older religions. People making stuff up because of what they thought.
    I don't care about what another human has to say is religiously important. I care about what the Bible says. As for the Pastor, he simply gives us an interpretation of the Bible rather than telling us what is important, so I find his words interesting to consider in my own personal interpretation.
    Then you don't have a religion, now do you?
    No. He has a cult.
  • To respond to all of you, I don't. But, it is based on many older versions of the Bible in various languages. It draws from multiple sources to check for discrepancies and problems. Therefore, I believe it is less likely to be changed than others.

Also, I resort to my previous belief, that God would not allow it to be tampered with. In the grand scheme of things, God would allow for their to be good enough people who would ensure the truth was in it and not lies. I know you think that's a load of crap, but hey, that's what I believe.
    Also, it's not that no other version can be true. It's just that again, Lent isn't in any Bible. Old or new, some things are talked about by denominations that are rules that are in no Bible.

And if you say you're going to make a Bible with that in it, I direct you to the last lines of Revelations. Basically, if you do that, God removes your shares in Heaven for removing stuff, and adds to your pain and burden for adding stuff. So, anyone who added stuff would've been "smited," as you would so humorously say. This is why I believe it is hard for the Bible to be manipulated.
This discussion has been closed.