This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Republican? Just scream and lie.

Comments

• Daikun said:

The FCC's full Net Neutrality text released. (It's a huge PDF. I'd recommend downloading.)

Does it have the humor of a SCOTUS opinion? Because I don't think I can read that many pages of bureaucratic legalese.
  • Apparently the Republicans are back to wanting to make trickle down economics a thing. Because it has worked so well the last two times it was tried out.

America, I weep for you.
  • Trickle down does work. The problem is that when all of the wealth accumulates in the economic mesosphere it no longer rains back down.
  • Looks like "OMG LOGAN ACT TREASON" is not going away. It's funny, when I explain to friends, one on one, how treason and the act work they come around and act normal. Then, within 24 hours they get sucked right back in.
  • edited March 2015
    HMTKSteve said:

Trickle down does work. The problem is that when all of the wealth accumulates in the economic mesosphere it no longer rains back down.

Trickle down economics works the same way communism works. In theory, but never in practice. And that it doesn't trickle down is also in part because through reduced taxation on the wealthy they are actively reducing a way how wealth gets transported downward.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I had this big long post worked out in my head but... Yeah. Trickle downs primary weakness is people.
  • Churba said:

HMTKSteve said:

This is why we don't let foreigners be President.

Hey, in our defense, the last one from Barry, Wales was pretty alright. Not perfect, but alright.

I will cut anyone who says a bad thing about Barry, anyone that can survive that place is a living saint.
  • HMTKSteve said:

I had this big long post worked out in my head but... Yeah. Trickle downs primary weakness is people.

My general rule is that if you have to say "My thing works, except for people being dicks", it doesn't work.
  • Gateghazi.
  • HMTKSteve said:

I had this big long post worked out in my head but... Yeah. Trickle downs primary weakness is people.

To be fair, any man-made system's weakness is people.
  • thinkprogress.org/world/2015/03/15/3633912/tom-cotton-alarmed-capital-iran-controlled-iran/
    Tom Cotton has no fucking clue what he's talking about. He's alarmed that Iran is in control of Tehran.
    All of this shit with Netanyahu, Iran, and Clinton's email are thinly veiled attempts to make talking points for 2016.
    Fortunately, every one seems to be blowing up in their faces.

Repubs: Netanyahu's visit isn't political!
    *both Repubs and Netanyahu promptly make ads about the visit*
    Repubs: What?

Repubs: Dear Iran, whatever the president says doesn't matter cause we're totally going to reverse it when we win in 2016.
    Iran: Lol, stay classy, neocons.
    Pres: How embarrassing....for you guys.
    Media: TREASON!
    Repubs: Um.....it's was a joke.....or something.

Repubs: Clinton deleted private emails benghazi something something!
    Media: Let's look at you guys and deleting emails.
    Repubs: No thank you.
    Media: Tough.

• On the upside, it did give us this gif of Rand Paul's hilariously unenthusiastic applause at Netanyahu's speech.

Dude looks like he'd rather be having a root canal.
  • He's alarmed that Iran is in control of Tehran.

Oh no, the United States is in control of Washington D.C. !

• The GOP is holding Lynch's nomination hostage to ensure that they can slip anti-abortion language into an otherwise good anti-human-trafficking bill...
  • That had bipartisan support last year before the GOP revised it, and intentionally left out the part about adding bullshit abortion restrictions when the Democrats directly asked if they had made any changes.
    The Republicans defense was 'you should have read it to see if we were just lying to your faces'.
    HOW are these spiteful morons still in any office?
  • Wait... Isn't the poison pill strategy used to thwart bills you don't want to see passed?
  • HMTKSteve said:

Wait... Isn't the poison pill strategy used to thwart bills you don't want to see passed?

Well these "authentic" African jewelry aren't gonna make themselves.
  • Had a taxation idea. Increase the marginal rates sharply (bring back 90% for high incomes) while allowing for a 100% deduction for purchases that have property taxes associated with them.

So, if some millionaire is looking at a taxable income of $900,000 they can choose to buy a house, car or boat and lower their income by the amount of money spent. They would still be liable for the property taxes on said purchases so they would not be living tax free and just as important they would be encouraged not to hoard their money. Essentially the idea is one of "spend your money or the government will spend it for you."
  • Except that would make property a much better investment compared to others, causing rich people to try to buy all the land and make it impossible for normal people to buy houses. And you get trouble with most investment in the US going into a fairly non-liquid form...
  • That's highly counter-productive, Steve; your idea would actually encourage rent-seeking behaviours...

Land value taxes make a lot more sense.
  • A better taxation idea?
    HMTKSteve said:

Increase the marginal rates sharply (bring back 90% for high incomes) while allowing for a 100% deduction for purchases that have property taxes associated with them

• In today's edition of "Stupid things Tony Abbot said": "Well in the days when I was a journalist there were no metadata protections for journalists," followed by "I was perfectly comfortable as a journalist, I believe that Australian police and security agencies operate in a fair and reasonable and responsible manner."

Tony Abbot's brief journalistic career amounts to a short period writing articles for Honi Soit, the Student Newspaper for Sydney University, and a 12-month stint at The Bulletin magazine. Both of which predate any internet connection in Australia(The first permanent internet connection being in 1989), and handheld mobile phones in Australia(1987).
  • Tennessee GOP lawmakers are insisting Christian businesses should have more rights to discriminate against gays and women because secular Chipotle doesn't want to sell pork raised in non-sustainable ways.

Wat.
  • Religion based laws... Where have I heard that talked about... On the tip of my tongue... Sounds like ... I just know I heard some major party warning us about people wanting to base our laws on religion...
  • Too Many Cooks: Election 2016 Edition

• Wow, that's actually from CNN too.
  • 2bfree said:
    Weird because NPR is reporting that France is the problem right now.
  • Yeah, when asked about a possible deal with Iran, president François Hollande only responded with "hon hon hon baguette Eiffel Tower. Omlette du fromage"