This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090810 - SSH

edited August 2009 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we discuss the one piece of software that we use more than almost anything else, SSH. In the news, there's a bank that lets you deposit checks via iPhone and Pranknet got busted.

Comments

• I know I've been up drinking too late when I get home and there's a geeknights waiting.

I listened to the Connecticon one today, and I think Scott is right about the pigeons. The story comes from when they were filming Penn and Teller Get Killed. A caller to his show asked "How did you catch the pigeon? Were they trained?" and the story unfolded from there. I think they did have a pigeon trainer, but before he could get his "trained" pigeons to agree to being grabbed by Penn, Penn had already discovered his pigeon grabbing super powers.

So... yeah... I hate to say it, but I think Scott is right about this one.
  • Being a night shift worker myself, I can understand how Rym is feeling. Hopefully he won't be messed up too badly by it.
  • Would you work nights if you could do it from home?
  • My brother works nights, from 4:30 AM to 1:30 PM. Needless to say, he hates it, and is glad that this is his last week of working these hours.
  • I've worked nights for the past 5 years or so. I actually don't mind it so much, though I'm phasing it out in favor of drawing comics at home whatever hours I feel like -- I'm down to two days of day(night)-job a week.
  • edited August 2009
    Hey Scott. I was typing away with the telnet instructions you gave and that was pretty cool. But, just a suggestion, next time you tell a person to type Ctrl-Alt-F1 into ubuntu, TELL THEM HOW TO GET BACK TO GNOME!!
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • TELL THEM HOW TO GET BACK TO GNOME!!
    Bwahahahaha! Did you install Lynx to Google the solution, Alt+F7?
  • edited August 2009
    No, I just "sudo reboot"ed the machine. Admittedly, I tried it again and tried typing "exit"...which, of course, totally worked -_-J

EDIT: Lynx is actually pretty cool....
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Guys, I am surprised to hear you are not first-amendment absolutists. Wendell Holmes used the analogy of shouting 'fire' in a crowded theatre to support the conclusion that a defendant did not have a First Amendment right to free speech against the draft during World War I.
  • Guys, I am surprised to hear you are not first-amendment absolutists. Wendell Holmes used the analogy of shouting 'fire' in a crowded theatre to support the conclusion that a defendant did not have a First Amendment right to free speech against the draft during World War I.
    Just because he used the argument in that way doesn't mean the argument itself is flawed. Someone could come along and argue that because of evolution we have to all fart at once. Well, just because that argument is completely stupid doesn't mean evolution is wrong.

I agree that you shouldn't be able to yell fire in a crowded theater. We should have as much free speech as possible, but speech which creates or increases danger is definitely wrong. Free speech as I see it means there should be unlimited expression of ideas. Yelling extremely loudly in someone's ear is basically just violence, as you are physically damaging their ear. Also, libel and slander laws exist, despite freedom of the press, because spreading lies on a wide scale can directly cause damages, mostly financial in nature.

I do think that people should be able to speak out against the draft, as I do not think that such speech is actively dangerous. However, there is plenty of other speech out there that is dangerous, and should be illegal.
  • SSH is a tool that people should learn how to use.
    Is it something that a non-IT guy would generally use? What would a general computer user do with ssh? =\
  • What would a general computer user do with ssh? =\
    Connect to other computers. If you don't connect to other computers, then you don't need the vast majority of computer tools that exist in the world.
    Connect to other computers. If you don't connect to other computers, then you don't need the vast majority of computer tools that exist in the world.
    If you don't connect to other computers, how are you even here?
    If you don't connect to other computers, how are you even here?
    I stick a Cat5 cable into my brain and think my responses.
  • Your brain is still connecting to computers, then.
  • One thing I can't believe we forgot to mention on the show.

SSH also includes SCP (secure copy) and SFTP (secure file transfer protocol). They're both basically the same thing, but they are commands that transfer files over SSH. In other words, if you still use FTP you are a moron. FTP is dead, and has been dead for many years. There are almost no circumstances under which FTP is something you should ever use today.
  • edited August 2009
    I prefer FTPS. As I have nothing setup to use SSH, setting up SSH to use SFTP seems silly to me.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • I prefer FTPS. As I have nothing setup to use SSH, setting up SSH to use SFTP seems silly to me.
    Sounds to me like you are probably a Windows person. Macs and *NIX machines are all pretty much setup to use SSH out of the box. Only on Windows is SSH something special.

Also, FTP/FTPS are more for creating file servers. You want to allow customers to access a certain set of files, or you want to create a bin for customers/clients to upload files into. These days, this activity is better served by creating a website with links to download available files over HTTP and web forms for clients to upload files. It's much more accessible and user friendly.

SCP/SFTP isn't meant to be used to create a file server in the way that FTP/FTPS is meant to. It's meant to be a secure copy. If I am authorized to have access to my desktop and five different servers I have to manage, I'm probalby going to need to transfer files between those six machines. When I do, I want to do it securely and easily. The scp command is basically the same as the cp command. You know, the command for copying a file. The only difference is that it allows you to copy to and from remote machines. Heck, you can even use it in place of the cp command to copy from local to local, and it will work.

If you need a file server, you probably want to use something like NFS/Samba/CIFS/DAV or some sort of NAS-type situation for your file serving. If you are file serving over the Internet, instead of just a local network, you probably want to use HTTP and some forms on a web-site, or some sort of P2P thing like bittorrent, depending on the nature of your file sharing. If you are copying files between machines just during the course of work, then scp is really the only thing you should be using.

FTP really doesn't have a place in the world anymore, even if you make it secure with FTPS.
  • Sounds to me like you are probably a Windows person. Macs and *NIX machines are all pretty much setup to use SSH out of the box. Only on Windows is SSH something special.
    Yeah, I'm a windows guy, but mostly I don't have a million computers to log into and manage. I'm a developer, not an admin.
    FTP really doesn't have a place in the world anymore, even if you make it secure with FTPS.
    Admittedly I only use it to share files securely with my friends when necessary. Mostly to my brother whose school network is run by a communist dictator. It's the only way I can get him animes.
  • I use FTP a few times a day to put files on my web hosting. I've never known there was a different way of doing it, let alone better way of doing it. And when I'm traveling, and have to upload files from random computers, ftp always just works.

Maybe you could do a podcast explaining why SFTP works better, and what kind of software we should use.

• Maybe you could do a podcast explaining why SFTP works better, and what kind of software we should use.
    What kind of web host is it? Is it one of those web hosts where you don't actually have access to a real machine, and they just give you a folder to stick things in?
  • I use dreamhost.com. I stick things in folders. Access to real machines is something I've never thought about.
  • I use dreamhost.com. I stick things in folders. Access to real machines is something I've never thought about.
    The way dreamhost, and others like them, work is this. They have a big computer. They have a whole bunch of folders on that computer, one for each user. They have a web server running on that computer that has a virtual host for each folder. Then they have a web interface and FTP that allows the customer to put whatever they want in that folder. This allows them to have a ton of low-traffic customers, and charge them all low prices. Of course, they make a killing. When you've got one computer with a hundred or more web sites on it, the profit margin is insane.

Of course, the things the customer can do are also extremely limited. You're stuck with whatever web server configuration they give you. Usually they have a database server also, and they let you create a handful of databases on it, and maybe they have mod_php instaled or some such. That's enough to run Wordpress or Vanilla, but that's about it.

The hosting we pay for is Linode. We pay $80 a month, but they have cheaper plans available. The way they work is they also split up one big computer into smaller pieces. The difference is that those smaller pieces are all complete virtual machines. So from the customer's point of view, it's exactly the same as if you had your own dedicated Linux machine. It has a real IP address on the Internet, it has RAM, CPU, disk space, and a bandwidth limit depending on how much you pay. You can do whatever the hell you want with it that isn't illegal or against terms of service.

Of course you can host web sites, but you can also do anything else a computer can do. You can run a game server. You can run a Jabber server. You can run a bittorrent tracker (if your bandwidth holds out). You can just browse the web from it. It's just a computer, effectively no different from the computer you are probably using right now (if you aren't mobile). It just happens to have a static IP address, and it is in a very safe data center where it is getting sweet love.

Granted, if you use something like dreamhost, you have to deal with the responsibilities of a webmaster. If you deal with something like Linode, you have to deal with the responsibilities of a systems administrator. There's a lot of stuff going on there you might not realize. It's only recommended if you know what you are doing. But if you do know what you are doing, or want to learn, then it is highly recommended to use real hosting, and not some piece of shit like Dreamhost.
  • The piece of shit that is Dreamhost has fulfilled everyone of my requirements so far, and at the right price. I want a place to host both my files and my domains, with ways to create a handful of databases. System admin is the last thing I want to get involved in. But then you probably already knew that.

Is it still fine to use FTP, or should I be using SFTP?

• Is it still fine to use FTP, or should I be using SFTP?
    If SCP/SFTP (the same thing) are available, you definitely want to use that. Plain old FTP has no encryption whatsoever, not even your password. Every time you connect via FTP, you risk someone seeing your password. It's about a zillion times worse than that if you connect from a cafe or some such. With the power of SSH, you are impossibly secure.
  • Plain old FTP has no encryption whatsoever, not even your password.
    I was going to say this as well.
  • Good to know! I'll look into it.
  • Wow, just realized we didn't mention the powers of X forwarding at all.

I use SSH so much, I take for granted all these things I do with it.
  • I normally love the tech episodes, as I learn a lot from them. During this one I found myself tuning things out and getting distracted. I heard no useful (to me) application of the technology, and you taking it for granted means you lost me quite quickly.

I guess I'll never be any kind of computer networky type person. Or not at any non-unprofessional level.
  • We should have as much free speech as possible, but speech which creates or increases danger is definitely wrong. Free speech as I see it means there should be unlimited expression of ideas.
    Would you agree that protecting the unlimited expression of ideas includes ideas held by a minority? Say, for example, people who like the idea of being free to shout 'fire' in a theatre?