This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090812 - GeekByte Medley

edited August 2009 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we have a medley of anime and comic geekbytes. In the news, there's going to be a new Galaxy Express 999 short, and the Haunting return of Todd McFarlane.

Comments

• Rym, what episode of Gurren Lagann are you on? I can tell you if you have reached "the point." Specifically, the point is at episode 8. Then, there's another point at episode 17. So, yeah.
  • Rym, what episode of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann are you on? Also, imho, there are multiple points, and the density of them increases as the show continues. And then there are the films.
  • Thing of the day comment: I FINALLY understand differential! That's something that has boggled my mind for years. I've seen so many diagrams, but it's never clicked in my brain. I guess it all comes down to knowing "the first gear is free-wheeling" and everything falls into place.

Not listened to the episode yet...
  • I FINALLY understand differential!
    δy=δy÷δx×δx?
  • Little clarification on the Liefeld thing. Apparently, the guy did go directly up to Rob and demand an apology for Heroes Reborn, I think it was. Rob didn't react negatively, so the guy went and got the How To Draw Comics the Marvel Way book, and pulled his drop-it-and-run stunt. Still, phenomenally douchey. A lot of the people I've seen defending this guy are using the "artists aren't immune from criticism" argument, but this really isn't about criticism -- it's about being a fucking dick.

Also, as Rym mentioned, while How to Draw Comics the Marvel way is semi-infamous, I think it's an undeserved reputation. It's really a pretty solid beginning drawing book.
  • Rym, what episode of Gurren Lagann are you on? I can tell you if you have reached "the point." Specifically, the point is at episode 8. Then, there's another point at episode 17. So, yeah.
    And Episode 11... And 15... And 25... And 27....
    And Episode 11... And 15... And 25... And 27....
    I realized I forgot 11, yeah. When I said 17, I pretty much meant 17, and every episode after it. Mostly all of the 20's.
  • Bokurano's manga has been licensed by Viz but none of it is out yet.
    edited August 2009
    Bokurano's manga has been licensed by Viz but none of it is out yet.
    http://www.onemanga.com/Bokurano/
    Scans you can read.
    Didn't Rym already, on the show, tell Scott where to get scans? (Google)
    Post edited by ... on
  • Thing of the day comment: I FINALLY understand differential! That's something that has boggled my mind for years. I've seen so many diagrams, but it's never clicked in my brain. I guess it all comes down to knowing "the first gear is free-wheeling" and everything falls into place.
    I know exactly what you mean. Everytime I go to clean my RC car, I try to figure out how the differentials work, but I could never get it. Knowing now, I think I'm going to lock the differential on the rear wheels. Most people on the drifter forum I go to says it makes the car more controllable during the drift, although a little unstable going straight.
    I know exactly what you mean. Everytime I go to clean my RC car, I try to figure out how the differentials work, but I could never get it. Knowing now, I think I'm going to lock the differential on the rear wheels. Most people on the drifter forum I go to says it makes the car more controllable during the drift, although a little unstable going straight.
    Heh, we used to do the same thing for a Car Rally with the Rovers, called Banana Bash - I've spent a good number of hours under variously hazardous home-brew rally cars with an arc-welder in hand, welding diffs together.
  • Bokurano's manga has been licensed by Viz but none of it is out yet.
    Didn't Rym already, on the show, tell Scott where to get scans? (Google)
    True, but I'm one of those "if it's licensed, I don't like reading/viewing the fanscans/fansubs" people. Plus, I think Scott wasn't sure of the license status for the manga.
  • True, but I'm one of those "if it's licensed, I don't like reading/viewing the fanscans/fansubs" people. Plus, I think Scott wasn't sure of the license status for the manga.
    If you intend to buy it later, but feel like reading the scans now, what's the issue?
  • edited August 2009
    Thing of the day comment: I FINALLY understand differential! That's something that has boggled my mind for years. I've seen so many diagrams, but it's never clicked in my brain. I guess it all comes down to knowing "the first gear is free-wheeling" and everything falls into place.

Not listened to the episode yet...
    Synchronicity: I listen to the episode while changing out my RC cars front and rear differentials :-).
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • True, but I'm one of those "if it's licensed, I don't like reading/viewing the fanscans/fansubs" people. Plus, I think Scott wasn't sure of the license status for the manga.
    If you intend to buy it later, but feel like reading the scans now, what's the issue?
    Simple personal morality. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • edited August 2009
    Reading it on paper is still a better experience than reading scans. It's not because of any morality here. It's simply that reading scans sucks balls. I'm only going to read scans if I have absolutely no other alternative. If a print edition is coming out, I can wait for it and read in comfort with a (presumably) better translation. Why force myself to suffer and read scans unless I have no alternative?

One day when e-readers don't suck, this won't be a problem anymore.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Sony is going drm free with their new readers. That I can buy books from anywhere and I know they'll work forever, that might tip me in that direction.
  • Sony is going drm free with their new readers. That I can buy books from anywhere and I know they'll work forever, that might tip me in that direction.
    That's not the issue. There are plenty of readers out there that can read DRM-Free books. The BeBook is a great one, actually. It's the same with portable media players like Zune and iPod. They can all play DRM-Free music and movies.

The problem is that nobody is selling DRM-free books or movies. The only place to get them legitimately is places like Project Guttenberg, or the few awesome authors like Cory Doctorow who know the score.

So let me know when Sony opens a DRM-free e-book store.
  • Sony takes Reader openness one step further, will offer EPUB titles only.

While they haven't opened it just yet, they are promising at least.
  • Sony takes Reader openness one step further, will offer EPUB titles only.

While they haven't opened it just yet, they are promising at least.
    I just read that on Slashdot and was coming here to post it. While EPUB is open, it's not DRM free. Still, at least this means that if I wanted to buy eBooks, I could buy them from Sony.