This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rules - discussion

Comments

• I think it's pretty obvious that no religious person is going to be able to refute the FSM. If you non-religious people want to argue religion so much, why don't you try to think up a refutation?
    Just out of curiosity, what exactly is the FSM argument? Is it the fact that god could be made out of noodley appendages? Is it The Eight I'd Really Rather You Didn'ts? What exactly must be debated in order to counter the FSM?
  • I believe it is the proposal that the FSM is equally valid to any other religion.
  • More like the Flying Spaghetti Monster is an equally valid god than any of the others. In other words: there is no proof he exists, nor has any ever existed, nor do we know any way to show how we might find out he exists in the future.

If you can show how your god of choice is different from the FSM, or any other random made up shit, you get to stay in the argument. If you can't show that, you're LITERALLY arguing about nothing.
  • It applies equally to anything supernatural, not just gods.
  • It applies equally to anything supernatural, not just gods.
    It really applies to any argument for which no evidence can be provided. In the absence of evidence, all statements are simple conjectures, statements of personal preference, or other such things.
  • Maybe more: "It really applies to any argument for which no evidence COULD be provided." There is a lot I could say, which I can't provide evidence for now. But someone might be able to in the future. The problem with gods is that nobody has yet come up with an experiment that could prove that one exists.
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2009
    Should this be called The Rules of the Physical and Ethereal Worlds or should this be a discussion about how the rules are run ^_~ ?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Can we add [sic] into quotes?
  • I'm sorry to bump, but I'd like a response on that one.
    edited August 2009
    Isn't [sic] implied due to the quote button just copy pasting? The only time I think you would use [sic] is when you quote something somewhere where the source is not one or two posts up, like another site. $2%
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited August 2009
    Isn't [sic] implied due to the quote button just copy pasting? The only time I you would use [sic] is when you quote something somewhere where the source is not one or two posts up, like another site. $2%
    Not quite -
    Sic is a Latin word meaning "thus", "so", "as such", or "in such a manner". In writing, it is placed within square brackets and usually italicized – [sic] – to indicate that an incorrect or unusual spelling, phrase, punctuation, and/or other preceding quoted material has been reproduced verbatim from the quoted original and is not a transcription error.
    Post edited by Churba on
    edited August 2009
    Not quite -
    Yes, I've read Wikipedia, it says what I say. Copy pasta. Seeing as the quote button on this forum just copy pastes the post, with all its typos, into a blockquote, [sic] is almost implied. Few people ever bother correcting quotes without red on these forums.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Yes, I've read Wikipedia, it says what I say. Copy pasta. Seeing as the quote button on this forum just copy pastes the post, with all it's typos, into a blockquote, [sic] is almost implied. Few people ever bother correcting quotes without red on these forums.
    I disagree. These days, even though exact reproduction of data is so trivially easy that half the time, we don't even think about it, the use of [sic] has not yet died. However, it is mostly used to point out spelling and grammatical errors, as I've seen it used, which the Blockquote button does not do.
    I say use it if you want, don't use it if you don't want to.
  • edited August 2009
    Isn't [sic][sic] implied due to the quote button just copy pasting? The only time I [sic] you would use [sic][sic] is when you quote something somewhere where the source is not one or two posts up, like another site. $2%
    Seeing as the quote button on this forum just copy pastes the post, with all it's [sic] typos, into a blockquote, [sic][sic] is almost implied. Few people ever bother correcting quotes without red on these forums.
    Since we're allowed to discuss rules, I was trying to slip the term past as a way to point out misspellings and grammatical errors. I figure it's not as overt as any of the other methods that have been used around here, but the chances are it's against the rules.

Another circumstance where "sic" is useful is when the source post you quoted from gets edited. The emphasis is that the change was introduced by them, not you.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • which the Blockquote button does not do.
    True, it doesn't point it out. But it doesn't have to, since the quoted text is a direct copy it's either 100% original, modified in minor fashion to improve readability and/or shorten the quote, or just plain fabrication.
    Isn't [sic][sic] implied due to the quote button just copy pasting? The only time I [sic] you would use [sic][sic] is when you quote something somewhere where the source is not one or two posts up, like another site. $2%
    Seeing as the quote button on this forum just copy pastes the post, with all it's [sic] typos, into a blockquote, [sic][sic] is almost implied. Few people ever bother correcting quotes without red on these forums.
    You [sic] fuck. I swear to god the first reads "I think you"... my mind just moved on before my fingers had typed the word.
    Since we're allowed to discuss rules, I was trying to slip the term past as a way to point out misspellings and grammatical errors. I figure it's not as overt as any of the other methods that have been used around here, but the chances are it's against the rules.
    You've made your point, and while it is indeed not as overt as just red text, it's still pretty obvious. And since its use as a way to correct spelling and grammar isn't much different from using red text (the act of which has been discouraged when used in abundance), I think it too is discouraged, when used in abundance.

Also, isn't using sic every other sentence in the same quotation the wrong way to use it? It applies to a block of text after all, the text being copied without modification, at least, that's how I've seen it used generally.
  • Also, isn't using sic every other sentence in the same quotation the wrong way to use it? It applies to a block of text after all, the text being copied without modification, at least, that's how I've seen it used generally.
    I'm pretty sure my usage is perfectly valid. As for the doubling up, it perhaps isn't common usage, but after thinking about it I realised the second usage would highlight that the first usage wasn't mine.
  • Would forumites want to use [sic] often enough to warrant a button? Simply typing it isn't particularly difficult when it is only used on occasion.
  • Cans someone explain this to me. If you hit the quote button, it copies things out verbatim. Unless someone manually copies out parts, why not just assume it is as written?
  • Cans someone explain this to me. If you hit the quote button, it copies things out verbatim. Unless someone manually copies out parts, why not just assume it is as written?
    Same point Nineless made. Hee-hee. You guys can agree! ^_^
  • Cans [sic] someone explain this to me. [sic] If you hit the quote button, it copies things out verbatim. Unless someone manually copies out parts, why not just assume it is as written?
    Of course you assume it. However, the use of "sic" allows one to place emphasis on various aspects of the quote. ^_~
  • edited August 2009
    Of course you assume it. However, the use of "sic" allows one to place emphasis on various aspects of the quote. ^_~
    So you want to use this just so you can be extra obnoxious and petty. Why is Nineless disagreeing with this?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I have no idea. Plus, this is basically the "be extra obnoxious and petty" thread, because it's centered on pointless discussion of forum rules.
  • So you want to use this just so you can be extra obnoxious and petty. Why is Nineless disagreeing with this?
    I'm not disagreeing. Just saying that it's the same as using red text. Which the man don't want!
  • It's less severe since it doesn't actually correct the other person's spelling and grammar; it just emphasizes the presence of mistakes. Plus, some people might not even know what it means.
  • Plus, some people might not even know what it means.
    The man does though, sadly.
  • Seriously, just type it.
  • edited August 2009
    I think you misunderstood the issue, Mrs. MacRoss.
    I'm not asking for a button that will automatically put in "sic" for me. The issue is that using "sic" in that manner would most likely be against the forum rules. That's why this is in the rules discussion thread.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I think this Vanilla addon would eliminate the need for "QFT" and "I like that" posts. Think Digg or Facebook's "Like this."
  • I thinkthisVanilla addon would eliminate the need for "QFT" and "I like that" posts. Think Digg or Facebook's "Like this."
    I like that!

No, wait... this forum doesn't have any problems with the kind of posts you mention.
  • I'd really like a plug-in that turns the input area into a basic drawing pad.