This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google Code Jam 2011

edited August 2009 in Technology
Registration is open for Google Code Jam 2009. I've registered; it ought to be fun, and won't take up too much of my time, especially since I don't expect to get far.
I think it will be a good source of motivation for me.

Comments

• edited September 2009
    No-one else seems to be interested, but the qualification starts in ~41 hours, and closes 24 hours after that. Registration is still open, mind you. I haven't really had the time to prepare myself, but the qualification shouldn't be too hard, and this will be fun either way.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • It seems cool, but I have no where near the credentials to work at Google...nor do I know enough about coding to get anywhere in this.

Maybe in another 3-5 years...
  • edited September 2009
    Qualification is pretty easy, and currently still going. Chances are I've qualified, though I won't know for sure until the qualification round is over.

EDIT: Yep, I've qualified. I had a very silly bug in my solution to C so I got 76 points instead of 99, but a qualification is a qualification.
  • edited September 2009
    Ouch. I made it through Round 1A, but I took a pretty big hit to my pride.
    I only got the small data-set to the first problem (9 points). In my defense, though, I hadn't realised that after one attempt at the large data-set I didn't get anymore chances at it. Consequently, I wasted all my time working on the first problem when I could perhaps have gotten some more points on the others. However, I have learned my lesson. I certainly won't download the data-sets until I'm sure of my code, and I won't devote my attention to problems I'm not making progress on.
    I didn't expect to make it far, but now I doubt I'll make it through Round 2.
  • edited May 2010
    Heh, as it turns out, the qualification round for the 2010 GCJ started ~13 hours ago. I had forgotten about it, but a couple of hours ago I noticed.
    I hadn't done any practice or preparation, but the qualification round was easy so I'm relatively sure I made it through.

EDIT: Whoo! Qualified with the full 99 points.

Update:
    Well, it seems I made it through Round 1A again this year. Once again, I took a hit to my pride, since I only got 39 points - still, this put me in 640th place of the 2170 people in the round (everyone in the top 1000 gets through). I was submitting an output file from the wrong directory for a good 10 minutes+, which wasted some of my time, but even without that I don't think I would've gotten more points.
  • Qualification starts in 6 hours, and I'll be doing it again this year. I expect it will be pretty fun, as it was previously; I don't expect to get any farther this time, though I might get a T-Shirt.
  • edited May 2011
    I made it through Round 1A with 50 points this time, putting me in 143rd place of 3145 who attempted the round. Gotta say, I'm feeling pretty damn good about that result - maybe I'll get a t-shirt this year!

Feel free to pay me out about my solutions (each contestant's submitted solution is accessible from the scoreboard), but only perhaps one person on this forum could have done better.
  • As in the past two years I tried, I didn't make it past round 2 - only the top 500 in round 2 make it to round 3 - but this time around I was 650th in the round which (to the best of my knowledge) qualifies me for a t-shirt. I'm quite pleased with the result, and I enjoyed the challenge.