This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ordering Japanese Figures Online

edited August 2009 in Everything Else
I am looking to expand my range of Revoltech figures (mostly the Gurren Lagann ones) and Gundam models in the near future, but up until now I have only been able to get these items at anime conventions. I am wondering if any of you forumites have any particular sites that you use for the acquisition of imported figures that are reliable. I have also perused Amazon's selection and found it to be quite good, but that raises the question of whether or not you can get their free shipping with the buying of a certain amount.

Can anyone answer these questions for me?

Comments

• There are a lot of different sites out there, and many are reliable. However, I've had a hard time finding a single site with consistently good prices. It seems like all of them have wildly varying prices. Like, you'll find one site has a particular Gundam model for a good price, but has overpriced Transformers. Then some other site will be the opposite. Also, many sites will frequently be out of stock on many things. It makes it really difficult to do one stop shopping.

My suggestion to you is this. Next time you are at a convention, actually write down the names of the dealers who are selling the stuff you like. Most dealers have actual stores. At the very least they have online stores, if they don't have physical stores. Then after the con go find those dealers on the Internet or the telephone. They'll be more than happy to sell you things and mail them to you.
  • - HLJ.com The prices are the MSRP that they should be sold for in Japan. However you will never get free shipping from them.
    - YesAsia The prices on some things are okay, on others they are between $10 - $60 higher than hlj. However you can get free shipping on most things so there's a plus.

They also keep stock in different ways, with hlj they have a stock on site. With yesasia you have to wait for them to order it from Japan, then for it to get to Hong Kong then for it to ship. HLJ is good for getting past the CBSA quickly. They declare the contents with the ID numbers and names that the costumes people use, instead of writing "gundam model" in pen.

Depending on where you live if the hobby shops around there are run by geeky people they may have some Gundam models but at least where I live they tend to be overpriced, and have a limited selection. They also seem to have a delay between three months and one year for said models, so your chance of getting a limited edition model is slim.
  • Toyslogic, HobbyLink Japan (HLJ), Play-Asia, are all good sites that I've used. I would definitely recommend them.