This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Expensive running shoes worth buying?

edited August 2009 in Everything Else
Lately I've been trying to stay healthy by doing some running and sports, but I find that after a few days my shins start to hurt. I suspect that it may be my cheap 10$ Wal-Mart shoes. I see some expensive Nike running shoes that are 60$-150$ and I was wondering if these are worth the price. I've never had a pair of expensive sports shoes, but I am always reluctant to buy expensive name brand clothing because they are usually inflated with no increase in quality. Also, maybe it has nothing to do with my shoes, but maybe I just have weak shins?

Comments

• If you are serious about running, you will destroy your $10 Wal-Mart shoes at least once a month, if not more often. You will also destroy your feet/legs. A good pair of shoes will last you a very very long time. Even if they are $120 or $150, they will definitely last more than 12 or 15 times longer than the crap shoes.

Remember this, though. Pretty much every good pair of shoes is going to be expensive. However, it doesn't work in reverse. There are plenty of expensive shoes out there that are not good. Shop for quality, and ignore price. Once you've found the perfect shoe, buy it no matter what it costs, unless the cost is absolutely insane. I'm sure it will not be hard to do some Internets research to get reviews of running shoes on some running sites and forums. Then you can go to zappos.com, and you'll be all set.
  • If you are serious about running, you will destroy your $10 Wal-Mart shoes at least once a month, if not more often. You will also destroy your feet/legs. A good pair of shoes will last you a very very long time. Even if they are $120 or $150, they will definitely last more than 12 or 15 times longer than the crap shoes.

Remember this, though. Pretty much every good pair of shoes is going to be expensive. However, it doesn't work in reverse. There are plenty of expensive shoes out there that are not good. Shop for quality, and ignore price. Once you've found the perfect shoe, buy it no matter what it costs, unless the cost is absolutely insane. I'm sure it will not be hard to do some Internets research to get reviews of running shoes on some running sites and forums. Then you can go to zappos.com, and you'll be all set.
    Scott, I ask this in all seriousness, when was the last time you ran a mile?
  • edited August 2009
    I hear that MBT make some good athletic shoes, but I can't give a personal recommendation, as I've never had chance to buy a pair, and on top of that, they don't suit me, as I tend more towards free-running than straight jogging.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Scott is right, you will destroy your legs running in crappy shoes. Also, different shoes fit different types of runners. If there is a running store near you, go there. The people there can look at the shape of your foot and your stride and give you a shoe that fits you. They will be expensive, and wear out eventually, but you need to do this if you are serious about running. Wearing cheap Wal-Mart shoes is asking for injuries.

Scott, I ask this in all seriousness, when was the last time you ran a mile?
    He really doesn't have to run a mile to give the advise he gave. I mean, it is just common sense that a $10 running shoe is not the right decision if you really want to start running. Also, if you have watched "Rocky" do not buy a pair of "Converse"! Not that I have ever tried that :P
  • I am currently using a pair of $60 Adidas (These in black if you are interested) and they have treated me great for just over a year now, even taking me through a track season. I would say that shoes in that price range are worth it if you intend to be serious about your running.

Here's a little anecdote to help: At the beginning of track season, I figured I needed to buy some new shoes, as the tread on my Adidas was getting pretty worn down. Not wanting to spend too much, I decided to just get a reasonably cheap pair of Asics, which felt fairly comfortable and fit pretty well. All was good with the Asics, until I started to push myself when wearing them. If I was just jogging they felt great, but as soon as I started to do interval training I hit problems. Whenever I broke into a sprint they would start to flop around and chafe the side of my ankle when I took a turn, and whenever I ran at below a 6'10'' mile, they would rub the back of my foot very badly. I actually decided to push myself while wearing them one day, and ended up running a 5'38'' mile, but when I had finished I realized that I had rubbed quite a bit of my foot off and had stained my socks red. I ended up switching back to my Adidas after that.

So, if you do want to buy a shoe in any price range, make sure you look out for some important things. -The shoe fits properly. It may seem obvious, but don't make the same mistake I did with the Asics. If the shoe moves around while you are running it will take skin off. -It has the proper level of support. This is really down to preference and running style. Lately, I have been trying to find as minimalist a shoe as possible, and have even begun to switch over to barefoot running due to some soreness beginning in my knees. Just pay attention to your stride and find something that works. If you have to, go to a running shoe store and ask the guy there to make some suggestions on what kind would work for you, and then try and find deals online. -Proper weight. Heavy shoes suck.

Other than that, try not to get distracted by looks. You are looking for a piece of performance equipment, not a fashion accessory. Oh, and as for the shin pain; take it slow. If you are just starting off with this don't over train yourself, your body needs time to repair itself. Eat enough to fuel your activity and recovery, and get a good nights rest. Also, pay attention to how you run. Good form is crucial here is a good place to get started. I'll post more if I come across anything else that is good.

I hope this helped, and good luck with your goals.
  • There's a running store between the train station and my office that I pass by quite often. In the window they are really trying to sell these Nike Lunarglide shoes. I have no idea if they are good or not. All I'm saying is that they look pretty cool, and the running store is pushing them pretty hard.

Also, I've become a Merrell fanboy when it comes to shoes lately. I bought a pair of Merrell boots over the Winter, and they are amazing. I expect them to last me 5-10 years. I like them so much that I bought these sneakers when my pair of New Balances died. They're technically running shoes, although I don't run in them. Regardless, they are hella awesome for walking and just being an everyday shoe.
  • Go to a store like Good Feet. Take what ever advice they have and then go online to find the shoes they suggest for a reasonable price.

Merrell's are bad ass.
  • I don't claim to be an expert on this topic, but there seems to be some considerable doubt over whether running shoes actually offer any benefit. As an example: http://www.sportsci.org/jour/0103/mw.htm
  • I don't claim to be an expert on this topic, but there seems to be some considerable doubt over whether running shoes actually offer any benefit. As an example:http://www.sportsci.org/jour/0103/mw.htm
    Whether running shoes have any effect on the health of your feet or running performance can be argued.

What can not be argued is that there is nasty shit on the ground. Not only are there things like dog poop hiding in the grasses, there are pebbles in the street, spines from plants, pieces of glass, very hot sidewalks baking in the sun, I could go on. You absolutely need something under your feet to protect you from having the bottom of your foot cut-up and nasty. If you want barefoot, at least get the Vibrams. Also, even if you find a cool clean surface to run barefoot on, like an indoor track, remember to wash your feet like crazy to avoid fungus.
  • Barefoot running on hard services is going to hurt like hell and although you're 4% less likely to have an ankle injury, your potential for degenerative joint disease would increase ten fold and the time that arthritis would develop in all the joints that absorb the shock of each step would reduce considerably. i.e. You get arthritis at a much earlier age.

Any shock absorbence between your feet and the ground will avoid chronic joint disease.
  • I have "crappy" payless sneakers that I have used for several years for walking, jogging, etc. I don't often go running due to an ankle injury that needs surgery. I asked my doctor and a gym trainer about getting better shoes to alleviate the pain when working out. The doctor and the trainer both suggested high tops for ankle support, but when I asked them if I should purchase nicer shoes (a better brand) they both said that brand has nothing to do with function, but that I should look at the design of the sole to identify if it was a cross trainer, a running shoe, a walking, shoe, etc. Cross trainers have a very thick and wider sole at the toe, running shoes have a slightly thinner and narrower sole with a defined arch support, walking shoes have a flatter bottom (less visible arch support) and an even thinner sole. You can find all of this information online. Expensive brands may last you longer, but if a $20 shoe with the correct sole lasts you 3 years and a $60 shoe lasts you five, you are still money ahead with two pairs of $20 shoes. I am not saying that is how it will work out, it is jut my own personal experience. I have a cross trainer, which for my purposes was fine. They don't look amazing, but they are still functional and have lasted for over three years. Keep in mind that it is the design of the sole and the shoe that matter, not the brand.

Your stretching routine, your stride as you run, and over training may also be contributing to your shin splints.
  • I have "crappy" payless sneakers that I have used for several years for walking, jogging, etc. I don't often go running due to an ankle injury that needs surgery. I asked my doctor and a gym trainer about getting better shoes to alleviate the pain when working out. The doctor and the trainer both suggested high tops for ankle support, but when I asked them if I should purchase nicer shoes (a better brand) they both said that brand has nothing to do with function, but that I should look at the design of the sole to identify if it was a cross trainer, a running shoe, a walking, shoe, etc. Cross trainers have a very thick and wider sole at the toe, running shoes have a slightly thinner and narrower sole with a defined arch support, walking shoes have a flatter bottom (less visible arch support) and an even thinner sole. You can find all of this information online. Expensive brands may last you longer, but if a $20 shoe with the correct sole lasts you 3 years and a $60 shoe lasts you five, you are still money ahead with two pairs of $20 shoes. I am not saying that is how it will work out, it is jut my own personal experience. I have a cross trainer, which for my purposes was fine. They don't look amazing, but they are still functional and have lasted for over three years. Keep in mind that it is the design of the sole and the shoe that matter, not the brand.
    This has been my experience, you buy the right design of shoe and it doesn't matter if it's a 20 dollar or 60 dollar shoe. I've found personally that it doesn't matter how much I spend on a running shoe they all wear down pretty damn fast, so I tend to buy the cheapest.
  • I find that the hardest part is getting shoes that actually fit me. I need at least a 4E size shoe, because my feet are just so wide. I found out that New Balance holds quite a large amount of 4E shoes, but I haven't found anyplace else. Is there any place that sells running or even any type of shoe that is extra wide?
  • If you're running running seriously, expect to go through a pair every season, two at most. Running shoes wear out extremely quickly if you actually use them. They'll look fine, but the padding will compress, the tread will wear, and they generally won't function optimally. Don't skimp. If you're pushing 50 miles a week, the advantages of proper shoes will become readily apparent.

That said, I prefer RBK Hexride running shoes. They're fairly cheap, extremely effective, and surprisingly durable. I used to use $50 NBs, but they couldn't even last a summer.

If you can afford it, I'd suggest always buying them in sets of two (pairs ;^) ). Make one the "dirty" pair, for daily running (in the rain, overland in the rough, etc...), and one the "clean" pair, for tracks and sidewalk. Once the dirty pair wears out (very quickly), switch to the clean pair for the rest of the season.
  • If you're a serious runner or just want to keep the health of your feet intact plus have a comfortable time for exercise you should be able to find actual running shoe stores. They have them in Australia but I'm not sure about the US.

The sales assistant should measure both the width and length of your foot, inquire about foot injuries in the past, frequency and distances you plant to run. Some will also have a plate which allows them to work out where you place most pressure as you walk.
    After that they will then specifically recommend a shoe for you. Make sure they work out how high your foot arch is, this is crucial.

I even get these measurments done for my feet when buying work shoes because I'm standing for my entire work day.
  • very hot side-walks baking in the sun
    Actually, you'd be surprised how much cooler sun-baking side-walks are than you expected. It just starts getting uncomfortable when you stand still. On a metal water drain. For 10 or so seconds. Not to mention, you're running. Your contact with the ground is reduced a lot and alternates between your feet. The warmth of the side-walks isn't really your problem when running in warm weather.

Speaking from experience by the way. I've walked all over town, on multiple occasion, with a friend, barefooted. No problems, not on grass, no shit anywhere. Just wash your feet, normally, when you return home, not because of OH NOES FUNGUS, but just because of dirty feet. The only danger is sharp objects, like pieces of glass or rough terrain.

Those Vibrams also look very awesome, I'd buy a pair if funds allowed.
  • If you can afford it, I'd suggest always buying them in sets of two (pairs ;^) ). Make one the "dirty" pair, for daily running (in the rain, overland in the rough, etc...), and one the "clean" pair, for tracks and sidewalk. Once the dirty pair wears out (very quickly), switch to the clean pair for the rest of the season.
    That's probably the most important advice.
  • The barefoot running thing interests me mostly because it suggests that "running shoes" as opposed to any other kind of shoe are a bit of a scam. I absolutely agree that you'll probably want some kind of protection from random shards of glass and whatnot.

I can also vouch for Merrells as a brand - I have a pair of their trail shoes (for hiking, with extra awesome tread for climbing) that are very nice.
  • edited August 2009
    While we're on the subject of shoes. I'm always on the lookout for places that stock very large shoes (Aprox Size: UK 17/US~17.5). Anyone happen to know of anywhere selling in those sizes? My current selection is severely limited.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • While we're on the subject of shoes. I'm always on the lookout for places that stock very large shoes (Aprox Size: UK 17/US~17.5). Anyone happen to know of anywhere selling in those sizes? My current selection is severely limited.
    Try http://www.spearshoes.com/
  • While we're on the subject of shoes. I'm always on the lookout for places that stock very large shoes (Aprox Size: UK 17/US~17.5). Anyone happen to know of anywhere selling in those sizes? My current selection is severely limited.
    Oddball
  • edited August 2009
    Post edited by edifolco25 on
  • If you can afford it, I'd suggest always buying them in sets of two (pairs ;^) ). Make one the "dirty" pair, for daily running (in the rain, overland in the rough, etc...), and one the "clean" pair, for tracks and sidewalk. Once the dirty pair wears out (very quickly), switch to the clean pair for the rest of the season.
    This makes no sense. What is the point of switching them out, just wear one then the other if you're going to wear the other pair after the first is dirty anyway.
  • edited August 2009
    I think the point is you get to have one pair of nice shoes for longer while still using them. You can wear down the shoes equally fast one after the other but why not wear the nice pair sometimes if it's going to cause minimal damage to them? So you maximise the life of the nice pair at the cost of the not-nice pair and overall get more time wearing a nice pair of shoes. Not that I know much about rate of shoe degradation. Also I'm pretty sure you want "nice" shoes with good cushioning for hard surfaces like sidewalks so maybe that's why you want to always be running in nice shoes on those surfaces?

Or maybe there is some other more mystical reason! I am not a runner.
    Post edited by Mamath on
  • I currently run about 16 miles/week, and at one point was running 42 miles/week(too much for me now). Good shoes are essential and I've not found a good pair for less than $100. Finding the right shoe can be incredibly tricky though, and I would highly recommend you go to a running store and get help from them. They can analyze how your foot lands and hook you up with something that accommodates your pronation.

Now aside from this, the greatest benefit on getting a nice shoe is going to be consistency from year to year. When you find a shoe that works well for you, you're going to want to keep using that shoe forever. This is only really possible with the higher end lines because while they may change the outward look, the shoe itself is essentially the same with each model. For example, I can count on an Asics 2006 Nimbus to feel the same as a Asics 2009 Nimbus. If you happen to get something cheaper, there's no telling if that model will exist in the future or what changes they may make to it. In my experience, switching up shoes after you've grown accustomed to a model can seriously throw off how you normally run and greatly increase the chance of injury. Running injuries suck big time because they wind up being walking/sitting/doing normal stuff injuries.
  • Speaking about running. How do you guys determine how far you've ran?
  • edited August 2009
    When I jog or walk, I use the the google maps "walking route" or the miles listed on trail signs to calculate mileage. I don't do much trailblazing, and when I do, I don't care about distance as much as length of time of optimal heart rate.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited August 2009
    I usually map out a route via Gmaps Pedometer. There are also some sites that allow you to create routes and save them, or look at other people's routes based on distance, inclinations, areas, etc... I don't recall them off hand.

There's the old school method of driving a route with your car and keeping track of the miles used.

If you have a smart phone, there are probably apps available to keep track of distance covered via GPS.

Your local schools probably have tracks you can use, and those are almost always mapped out to some standard.

One thing to keep in mind is that distance isn't necessarily all that important depending on your reasons for running. For instance, cardio exercise is all about heart-rate rather than miles. If you're trying to drop pounds, longer runs at fewer miles may be better than a quick sprint at the same distance.
    Post edited by BrutishSaucer on
  • edited August 2009
    If you're trying to drop pounds, longer runs at fewer miles may be better than a quick sprint at the same distance.
    LOL! The only way Cat could lose any weight is to lose an appendage. She is quite petite. ^_^
    Post edited by Kate Monster on