This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Help looking for a game

edited August 2009 in Video Games
I'm trying to look for an old PC game, but I can't recall the title to any extent. I will attempt to summarise what I remember and hope some of you recognise the game.

Before the start of the game, war is fought on the galactic scale. While on a - as I recall it - scientific mission, you are stranded on a planet along with some of your crew. After a while, you discover the underground shipyards of a long since extinct civilisation and manage to build a ship on said shipyard. You return to Earth, only to discover that it has been conquered by an alien race and surrounded in a force field, restricting access to outer space.. The first minutes of the game you spend gathering fuel for the human-occupied orbital space station to restore life support and survey the now abandoned alien surveillance base on the moon.

Comments

• It's Star Control 2, one of the greatest games ever created in the history of games.

There is a free version of this game you can get called Ur-Quan Masters.
  • That's the game right there. Thanks.
  • Can't say I played that game, but you said it's good I'll have a look. Ur-Quan Masters you say? I'll install it now.
  • I remember hearing about this on a podcast somewhere..
  • I remember hearing about this ona podcast somewhere..
    That was a bad show, I should do it again.
  • edited August 2009
    I remember hearing about this ona podcast somewhere..
    I really like it; You should try doing the "Each person explains something they've been enjoying to the other." format again.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
    I really like it; You should try doing the "Each person explains something they've been enjoying to the other." format again.
    You can only explain Scott Johnson's mom so many times.
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2009
    I remember hearing about this ona podcast somewhere..
    What happened to you saying something about not repeating an episode, or do you feel it is justified to do it again?
    EDIT: Don't get me wrong though, I would love to hear a remake of that episode as it was pretty bad.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • You can only explain Scott Johnson's mom so many times.
    Keeping it classy, Gentlemen.
    Yea, you managed to make me not want to play Star Control II, one of my fav games of all time with your review.
  • @ Cremlian: So, your policy is just to ignore any and all "Scott Johnson's Mom" jokes? That isn't a bad policy if you don't have friends that want to poke you until you react.
    POKE!
  • edited August 2009
    @ Cremlian: So, your policy is just to ignore any and all "Scott Johnson's Mom" jokes? That isn't a bad policy if you don't have friends that want to poke you until you react.
    POKE!
    I had a choice, to react to the "your mom" joke or diss Scott's terrible Star Control II review..... and well I went for the more important point!
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • This game is just so epic, I just started playing an hour ago for the first time. Even if I never played it before, I felt like Scott's review was missing something and indeed it was. I can see why you like this game so much Scott Johnson, it's just plain unmitigated awesome.
  • I truly envy those first time players...
  • it's just plain unmitigated awesome.
    And impossible. The Ur-Quan have already popped up a few hours into the game, and I still don't have a single Dynamo (though max speed+turn)... I suspect I skipped the grinding.
    And impossible. The Ur-Quan have already popped up a few hours into the game, and I still don't have a single Dynamo (though max speed+turn)... I suspect I skipped the grinding.
    Actually there isn't any grinding in the game. there is exploring and exploiting resources and races...You don't really gain anything from fighting.
  • Actually there isn't any grinding in the game.
    My apologies, there's just a lot of waiting and tedious, continuous work trying to find and then rape various planets and moons for resources before you can actually buy stuff which in turn allows you to continue the fracking game. That's grinding if you ask me.

Also, other than the first fight, and any with the Scuthi, I haven't been able to come across a single fair and winnable fight. Fracking rubies, Ur-Quan and Ur-Quan.
    You don't really gain anything from fighting.
    Yet the game tells you you do, if you can win.
    Actually there isn't any grinding in the game. there is exploring and exploiting resources and races...You don't really gain anything from fighting.
    Except gaining allies and the occasional cache of resources from those stupid gem creatures.
  • One question about Star Control II...is there like a set date you have to destroy the Ur-Quan, or can you take as long as you want?
  • One question about Star Control II...is there like a set date you have to destroy the Ur-Quan, or can you take as long as you want?
    Many things in the game are time dependent. You should definitely pay attention to the in-game clock/calendar while playing. However, I do not think that the end-game is time dependent. IIRC you can take as long as you want, but other things in the game might pass you by.