This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

All is well with the world

edited August 2009 in Everything Else
I feel so happy. ^_^

Comments

• That's awesome, you but you can't make a post like that and just leave us hanging.
  • I just know this is all going to end in tears.
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2009
    This is obviously a flamewar in disguise because people have said similar things on Fark and it always led to a war.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • This is obviously a flamewar in disguise because people have said similar things on Fark and it always led to a war.
    True, although watching from the sidelines was almost always funny.
  • edited August 2009
    I am euphoric, high on life, joyous, and simply happy. There is no longer any jealousy, hate, anger, violence, contempt, or anything else of that matter in me. I've achieved peace, somehow.

If I were to die, today would be a good day. ^_^
    Post edited by Nine Boomer on
  • I take it you haven't got down to reading the political emails thread yet, then.

How do you plan to make use of your boundless enthusiasm?
  • Ecstasy, or mushrooms?
  • How do you plan to make use of your boundless enthusiasm?
    It's coming from somewhere, isn't it? I need to find out how to keep this euphoric state stable, because it could really be helpful for school and my life.
    Ecstasy, or mushrooms?
    Why take the easy way out when you can use your brain?
  • edited August 2009
    Oh, if you're euphoric for no reason, it's probably just a hormone imbalance. You'll experience a crash in a few hours or so, so make yourself somewhere to go and be comfortable when that happens and, in the mean time, try conquering a task or two that you've been having trouble getting started.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Oh, if you're euphoric for no reason, it's probably just a hormone imbalance. You'll experience a crash in a few hours or so, so make yourself somewhere to go and be comfortable when that happens and, in the mean time, try conquering a task or two that you've been having trouble getting started.
    my euphoria has actually been increasing for a couple of days now. How long should it last?
  • Is this thread an invitation to jump-tackle you out of your euphoria?
  • Did something special happen to make you feel so happy?
    I need to find out how to keep this euphoric state stable, because it could really be helpful for school and my life.
    Let us know how that works out for you.
  • This sounds like the kind of thing that will end with him firing bullets from a clock tower.
  • edited August 2009
    It's probably not actual euphoria but I get what you mean. If this is the first time it's happened in the past year or so, I'd just be ready, just in-case you come down pretty sharply.
    If the down does come, you'll feel unable to do anything, even basic things like moving around the room will seem hard. I find socializing or getting other peoples perspective is a good way to stay on top, as is having a routine.

The worst thing about crashes is that they can be self-perpetuating, if this keeps happening may see down periods of more than a week at once.

You may just be having a good time, but, it's important to be ready.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I am euphoric, high on life, joyous, and simply happy. There is no longer any jealousy, hate, anger, violence, contempt, or anything else of that matter in me. I've achieved peace, somehow.
    If I were to die, today would be a good day. ^_^
    Been there, done that. It passes all too quickly.
  • It's simply amazing to see what a generally pessimistic reaction the people here gave to such a simple, cheerful statement.

Lighten up, everyone.
  • @Omnutia -- sounds like you've got a lot of experience with this sort of thing. Care to share?

@loltsundere -- That was a little more than a simple, cheerful statement. :) I hope Joe continues to feel great, but people don't usually feel transcendently awesome for no particular reason.
  • It's simply amazing to see what a generally pessimistic reaction the people here gave to such a simple, cheerful statement.
    I wrote an article in GDT a long time ago at RIT with a similar sentiment. The amount of hatemail I received was surprising. People just can't accept that someone else is happy. ^_~
    Lighten up, everyone.
    The fact that it is so simple and no reason or philosophy is fueling the feeling makes it seem like the lovely, but fleeting sense of peace, euphoria, epiphany, etc. that most people experience for brief unexplained moments in their life, but then flits away as quickly and as without reason as it came. As the feeling appears to be baseless and irrational it is possibly biological in nature which means the next hormone swing or change in diet could return him to his usual state. This isn't pessimism, it is rational thought based on personal experience and observation.
    Again I say, it passes all too quickly so enjoy it while it lasts.
  • Did something special happen to make you feel so happy?
    It must be sex.
  • As the feeling appears to be baseless and irrational it is possibly biological in nature
    All feelings are biological in nature. All of them. This happens to be one of the most fleeting of chemical reactions. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't feel it; everyone should be entitled to a few moments of short-lived euphoria.

As long as you recognize when something is a short-lived temporary feeling of euphoria, and you don't mistake that euphoria for genuine satisfaction, you're fine.

I would recommend figuring out why it is that you're feeling euphoric. There are stimuli that are provoking this reaction. It can be as simple as having numerous trivial elements in your life suddenly becoming harmonious (i.e. everything just works today), or maybe you had a success after a string of failures.
  • @ Funfetus - "I feel so happy. ^_^" is not a simple and cheerful statement?

@ Rym - Wow, I wish it were easier for me to see happiness in a way like that. That got you hatemail?

@Mrs.Macross - Even with all that considered, why not just let him have it? Why pump -so- much cynicism into someone's happy statement, just because he can't give you a good reason why or because your own experience ended up badly? That is just so incredibly negative. I can be a pretty cynical person myself, but I just don't understand that.
  • As the feeling appears to be baseless and irrational it is possibly biological in nature
    All feelings are biological in nature. All of them.
    Well obviously, but since some life changing emotionally charged event did not trigger this particular biological reaction, it seems to be without cause and thus probably just some lovely hormones or a decent amount of sun.
  • I rarely feel not-happy. I'm feeling a bit lonely recently, but being single has suddenly given me the gift of too much time than I know what to do with, so I'm finding new happy things to fill it.

"One thing I’ve noticed throughout my whole life is that people are constantly trying to rain on my parade, to convince me that I’m not actually happy. They tell me I’m unfulfilled, or that I’m faking it, or that it’s not really happiness, or some other such bollocks. I’m not sure just what to make of it, quite frankly." - Rym.

Joe, don't worry about what people post in the thread. I feel high on life most of the time. Enlightenment is attainable, and experiencing "simple" or "irrational" or "biological" happiness can be a good motivation for one to work out how to be happy from then on.
  • @ Funfetus - "I feel so happy. ^_^" is not a simple and cheerful statement?
    No, it totally is. But
    I am euphoric, high on life, joyous, and simply happy. There is no longer any jealousy, hate, anger, violence, contempt, or anything else of that matter in me. I've achieved peace, somehow.If I were to die, today would be a good day.
    is a bit over the top. :) But since that wasn't the initial post, your point is well-taken.
  • That got you hatemail?
    Hatemail, and even a response article in GDT. They basically all boiled down to "I'm not happy, and neither are you. If you think you are, then you're naive/immature/childish/etc..." I responded to a few, which only seemed to make them angrier.
  • edited August 2009
    @Mrs.Macross - Even with all that considered, why not just let him have it? Why pump -so- much cynicism into someone's happy statement, just because he can't give you a good reason why or because your own experience ended up badly? That is just so incredibly negative. I can be a pretty cynical person myself, but I just don't understand that.
    I think you misunderstand me. I do not consider any of my statements in this thread cynical, but rather cautionary. There is a difference between happiness, cheerfulness, and the more extreme sense of euphoria. Happiness is achievable and sustainable. Even a constant sense of peace and deep joy is possible. However, what he has minimally described does not seem to be that and I am sincere in saying that he should enjoy it while it lasts, but be prepared if it does not last long as the crash can be difficult and swing someone in the opposite direction.
    Also, my "own experience" did not end badly, but I have seen it end poorly for others that allow themselves to be completely swept away by the feeling and then crash terribly at the end.
    Sustained joy and peace are wonderful and achievable; however, flash pot emotions can lead to irrationality, pain, and a lack of preparedness when a person returns to earth so to speak. Caution and awareness of possible and even likely outcomes can safeguard against future pain, thus sustaining a greater net happiness. Caution and cynicism are not the same and to witness someone setting themselves up for a possible fall and not caution them is level of callousness that I am incapable of achieving.
    You may certainly think of me or interpret my words as you see fit, but I can't say that I am not offended at the outright insult of my character and your assumptions about my personal life.
    I take great joy in life and in the joy of others and I genuinely believe that any sorrows I experience enhance and deepen my joy. If he can sustain his euphoria, that would be fantastic. In the likely event that he can't, I simply want to warn him about the cliff and point him in the direction of the stairs.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I feel so happy. ^_^
    Niiiiice. ^_^
  • The only times I would say that I'm truly unhappy are when I encounter a person that is in the way of my happiness in some capacity. Annoying people who can't take a hint, incredibly obese people in my way, large crowds of unmoving people, screaming rotten crotchfruit, and other such nuisances can derail my enjoyment of a particular thing. Quite often, I'm perfectly happy being alone.

I'm also disinclined to rain on someone else's parade. If you feel happy, great. I hope that what you're feeling is genuine happiness, and that you won't crash down into the throes of depression once this temporary feeling wears off, but if you do, I've got some music for you to listen to. :P
  • RymRym
    edited August 2009
    I basically slide back and forth on a scale like this:

Momentarily Sad - Chronically Annoyed - Tired/Hungry - Momentarily Annoyed - Happy - Euphoric - Transcendentally Euphoric

My default state is about halfway between Happy and Euphoric. As far as I have seen, there is nothing further to the left, and I have never experienced anything further to the right.
    Post edited by Rym on