This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Sleeping Disorders/Problems

Comments

• edited August 2009
    @ Nineless: We sometimes only do half of the dishes from a dinner party in one day and do the other half the following day (since we generate so few dishes on our own, it doesn't accumulate by any magnituted in 24 hours).
    I have had cleaning projects that spanned days because I had other obligations or appointments to keep. In that case, it is fine if you focus solely on one aspect of cleaning (sort through all laundry, pull out all trash, dust all surfaces, wash all mirrors) at a time and return where you left off at your next opportunity. If you start to clean, then put off the rest for days, then your point of re-creating the mess is valid; however, it is not a law of the universe that a cleaning job done in parts will be ineffective.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I'd take Scott's advice and consult a doctor, Yupa. He/she could at least give you suggestions for a more sleep-healthy lifestyle.
  • Has anyone actually tried warm milk to help fall asleep?
  • Dunno how health-averse this is, but you could pull an all-nighter and then not go to sleep the next day until nightfall. Then, wake up early after that, and your internal clock should be somewhat reset.
  • edited August 2009
    There's also that study which says that you have a second internal clock for food. If you fast for 16 hours before normal breakfast (pretty much the time you want to wake up), your internal clock will be reset. It's still a pretty new discovery, so don't forget a pinch of salt. Ignore this stuff in white, I'm just so happy I need to express it. :D :D :D happy happy joy joy, happy happy joy joy.
    Post edited by Nine Boomer on
  • edited August 2009
    Has anyone actually tried warm milk to help fall asleep?
    I prefer hot oatmeal with milk instead of water. It's supposed to be good for helping you sleep.
    Post edited by loltsundere on
  • edited August 2009
    #room cleaning discussion.
    I cleaned my room over the span of a week. I divided my room into five sections: Floor, Bed area, Closet wall, desk area, and poster wall. I tackled each section one day at a time and threw a lot of things out. Also, I added a shelf across one of my walls, which allowed me to free up alot of otherwise useful room and gave me a place to display my figurines. In addition, I packed a lot of things I don't use often into boxes and put them on a shelf in my closet. Clearing up clutter goes a long way for creating a clean room.

Sonic's Clean Room Photoset.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Has anyone actually tried warm milk to help fall asleep?
    Tried it but I found cold milk works better. It is just a placebo really though and really doesn't effect you beyond that. Mostly I think his problem is not having a regular sleep schedule and the internal clock is messed up. Ran into problems in college myself when I had cram sessions. The next few days I could not get to sleep until very late and until my sleep pattern was back to normal I had trouble. Also, I notice at work we have lunch at ~11:30am and the job I had before we ate at 1pm. I had to adjust to that because I wouldn't be hungry that early. After adjusting to that I found myself eating lunch at 4-5pm instead of 7-8 at my old job. I fell asleep easier after the adjustment in my schedule and try no to eat anything before bed. If I get hungry the glass of milk did the job.
  • I thought milk contained tryptophan that is converted into melatonin (which triggers sleep) and serotonin (that induces relaxation/happiness).
  • I thought milk contained tryptophan that is converted into melatonin (which triggers sleep) and serotonin (that induces relaxation/happiness).
    I thought that the tryptophan causing sleep was not true and that Turkey only makes you sleepy because you are full, and not because of any tryptophan.
    I thought that the tryptophan causing sleep was not true and that Turkey only makes you sleepy because you are full, and not because of any tryptophan.
    Turkey has never made me sleepy...
  • I thought that the tryptophan causing sleep was not true and that Turkey only makes you sleepy because you are full, and not because of any tryptophan.
    No and Yes. Tryptophan does cause sleep, However, if you ate enough turkey to get an amount of Tryptophan in your system that it would have any effect on you, You'd have to not only eat enough to rupture your stomach, you'd have to keep eating quite a bit more after that.
    It's just the Fullness that makes you sleepy, not the tryptophan.
  • No and Yes. Tryptophan does cause sleep, However, if you ate enough turkey to get an amount of Tryptophan in your system that it would have any effect on you, You'd have to not only eat enough to rupture your stomach, you'd have to keep eating quite a bit more after that.
    It's just the Fullness that makes you sleepy, not the tryptophan.
    So does milk contain enough tryptophan to put you to sleep? If not, what does? Are tryptophan pills available? If so, is a prescription needed? Would tryptophan pills have side effects?
  • While not the definitive word on the subject, the wikipedia article on tryptophan appears to be well cited.
  • So does milk contain enough tryptophan to put you to sleep? If not, what does? Are tryptophan pills available? If so, is a prescription needed? Would tryptophan pills have side effects?
    Not in any sort of normal or regular serving, I don't know, I don't know, I don't know, respectively.
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2009
    Well I've taken Mankoon's advice and I'm forcing myself to sleep, and it is working so far, but I've got a while to go until I completely "reset" my internal clock (for lack of better terminology). I've got a long way to go since this problem began more than 2 years ago, so wish me luck. If anyone else has any problems with sleeping issues, I'll rename this thread to "Sleeping Disorders/Problem" so it will be more centralized and have less personalization in it.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Uhm...do you exercise? If you don't get enough physical activity during the day, it can REALLY fuck with your ability to sleep. Do at least 30 minutes every other day, and it might help.

It's also a good idea in general. :)
  • Uhm...do you exercise? If you don't get enough physical activity during the day, it can REALLY fuck with your ability to sleep. Do at least 30 minutes every other day, and it might help.
    Seriously. Back when I had a set of olympic weights, sometimes when I couldn't sleep, I'd go down to the garage and do a set of deadlifts, and it would knock me out immediately.
  • Seriously. Back when I had a set of olympic weights, sometimes when I couldn't sleep, I'd go down to the garage and do a set of deadlifts, and it would knock me out immediately.
    You shouldn't exercise within an hour or two of sleep. Exercising throughout your day is a great way of getting your body into a healthy sleeping pattern, but exercise before bed is a major no-no according to every sleep expert and doctor I have spoken with.
  • Yes, you are supposed to leave at the minimum an hour before going to bed, and ideally at least 2 hours. I try to do mine in the morning before I shower if I can...it's cooler outside then anyway.
  • but exercise before bed is a major no-no according to every sleep expert and doctor I have spoken with.
    I don't know what to tell you -- it worked. Cardio exercise like running can definitely keep you up, but heavy lifting has a very different effect on your body. I defy anyone to do a set of 20-rep squats and not want to lay down on the ground and go to sleep immediately.
  • edited August 2009
    but exercise before bed is a major no-no according to every sleep expert and doctor I have spoken with.
    I don't know what to tell you -- it worked. Cardio exercise like running can definitely keep you up, but heavy lifting has a very different effect on your body. I defy anyone to do a set of20-rep squatsand not want to lay down on the ground and go to sleep immediately.
    This man speaks the truth. Heavy lifting absolutely drains you; it's a very different sort of exhausted compared to cardio.

I often have difficulty falling asleep, especially after a particularly stimulating day. My brain takes quite a long time to quiet down. I find that engaging in a dull, repetitive task for an hour or so before I sleep can often coax my brain into a less excited state, enabling me to fall asleep more readily. Mindless Flash games are a great way to pull that off.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Mindless Flash games are a great way to pull that off.
    These work really well if you want to take a nap at work.
  • Again, ever sleep expert and doctor I have ever spoken to recommends that you not look at a bright screen (TV or computer screen) for an hour before bed if you genuinely have problems falling asleep. This is particularly true for anyone attempting to use light therapy to regulate their sleep.
  • I don't sleep well because I've been afflicted with night terrors ever since Belleau Wood.
  • I don't sleep well because I've been afflicted with night terrors ever since Belleau Wood.
    "Retreat? Hell, We just got here!"
    I thought you were too old to be enlisted and serving during WWI.
  • edited August 2009
    I like how some of the first responses to this thread all had to do with substance use before anyone even thought of exercise.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited August 2009
    I don't sleep well because I've been afflicted with night terrors ever since Belleau Wood.
    I thought you were too old to be enlisted and serving during WWI.
    I'm not that old, but I'd seen the elephant before, and I'm somewhat partial to war when I can find a good one; albeit Belleau Wood did give me rather a fright.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I like how some of the first responses to this thread all had to do with substance use before anyone even thought of exercise.
    Well, I would have suggested Phenergan, which is what I use when my hormones are keeping me from sleeping, but you need a prescription for that. ^_~