This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PC Help Radio Show Demo Reel: Need Questions

edited August 2009 in Everything Else
Hey Guys. So, as many of you know, My goal is to eventually have my own Call in PC Help show on the radio. I'd like to make a demo reel with questions I could answer. Problem is any question I would come up with is one I already know how to solve.

I'd like you guys to post some questions for me to answer that you think a person would call into a radio show for. That means questions like "I've had this computer for several years, but now I gut a blue screen whenever I turn it on." and "I'm trying to put a computer in my car, Any tips?" would be okay, however, a question like "I'm trying to implement a IIS server on my colo-ed server, but I'd like all the modules to be fully open libre, what do you suggest?" would not.

Thanks for your time!

Comments

• "Should I buy a computer or build it myself?" Keep in mind all the different situations and possible answers (laptop, high-end gaming system, netbook, etc.), The best answer may not always "build it yourself".
    • "It takes forever to open certain folders, and my computer feels slow in general."
    • "My computer doesn't turn on!"
    • "What would you recommend for X?" Hard drive, cpu, graphics card, sound card, motherboard, webcam, mouse, keyboard, screen, chassis, power supply, laptop, speakers, cables, ram, cooling, etc. etc. etc.
    • "Where's the any key?"
  • "I bought an internet, how do I get on it?"
  • The thinger on the screen won't do nothin'!
    The thinger on the screen won't do nothin'!
    Okay guys, seriously now...
    The thinger on the screen won't do nothin'!
    Okay guys, seriously now...
    We are serious. Tech people don't listen to the radio. All of your calls will be from technologically illiterate people. Our examples are not exaggerations at all. In fact, reality will be far worse. Be repared and afraid.
  • Well, Would you like to get on skype and ask the "thinger on the screen" question? 'Cause that kind of question isn't something I can read like a mail bag sort of deal.

Actually, If ANYBODY wants to get on skype with me and ask these questions, That would be far more awesome.
  • How do I get on Skype?
  • How do I get on Skype?
    Indeed!
  • This Skypé and The Google interest me, is this what them youngen are playin with nowadays?
  • Look, I'm looking for questions about specific problems. Not "gosh, I'm old, whats all this technohoozle?"
    • How can I secure my wireless internet?
    • How can I share stuff between my computer and others in my LAN?
    • Windows/Linux/OS X: Which one?
    • My computer isn't connected to the internet.
    • How can I take pictures of stuff on my screen?
    • IE annoy me, it sucks blah blah blah
    • How can I get started in programming?
    • How do I build a computer?
    • How can I get a microphone set up and then record myself?
    • I've got pop-ups that keep coming even when my browser is closed.
    • My internet is very slow.
    • My computer is behaving strangely! Stuff keeps moving around/I can't access certain folders/I've got random stuff on my desktop/I get random error messages/it's incredibly slow.
  • To make Joe's suggestions more realistic for the average person:
    • My internet wont connect, what do I do?
    • I want to get a new computer? What do you recommend?
    • I have bought [a webcam] but I can't get it to work [with Skype]. [Change as needed.]
    • How can I watch videos I took on my DVD player/TV?
    • The computer is running slow, why?
    • My computer won't turn on!
    • I get strange popups.
  • Just remember, that while suggesting that some really, really stupid people re-route their computer power cable from wall to computer, going Wall to kiddy pool full of water, and then telling them to jump in, while it is A solution, is not the CORRECT solution.
    • I want to get a new computer. What should I look at when comparing prospective computers?
    • I want to change to a different ISP/my contract is ending/I'm just now getting internet. What are the differences between DSL, cable, and dial-up?
    • I've heard a lot about viruses. How can I protect myself?
    • How can I monitor/restrict my children's access to the internet?
  • There is a radio show based out of cleveland that does a tech section of thier show. Usually around an hour awnsering questions and talking about tech with someone from PCMag depending on who is availible. Most of the show they fill with general tech talk and most of the calls are focused on phones, what kind of computer should I get a college student, and general problems with backing up files/windows won't start type of questions. Most of them won't be difficult and general level 1 tech support type questions.
  • Ahh, Now those are some good questions.

Now that we have a sufficient number of high quality questions, any volunteers to record them with me?

Now that we have a sufficient number of high quality questions, any volunteers to record them with me?
    Do I get to put on various American accents?

Do I get to put on various American accents?
    Well, sure, if you want. But I'd like to get a bunch of people; guys and gals.