This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Inglourious Basterds

2»

Comments

• It was decent, but not that amazing. It is worth watching at least once though.

The mental image of Goebbels screwing the interpreter chick is never going to leave me, unfortunately.
  • I loved the movie for it's historical accuracy. :D

Btw, will anyone else see BJ Novak in a different way now? Being the Temp from The Office to a Nazi Killer...
  • edited December 2009
    My favorite part was Hiter's face was being shot to all hell. I hadn't seen a Tarantino film before this and... yeah my mind was blown. Just like the guy who got his head beaten in by Bear Jew. I didn't know blood looked like fruit punch.
    Post edited by progSHELL on
  • edited December 2009
    My favorite part was (SPOILERS)
    You're going to want to put a spoiler warning on that.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • My favorite part was (SPOILERS)
    You're going to want to put a spoiler warning on that.
    SHIT! (as he realizes what he did.) Sorry, This is my first forum. I'll get better. Where can I find the spoiler tags?
  • There are no "spoiler tags" per se -- just use the color tag, and make the text white.
  • The film had some great scenes in it but it really didn't work very well as whole. QT hasn't really made a brilliant film since Jackie Brown and Pulp Fiction.
  • The film had some great scenes in it but it really didn't work very well as whole.
    Really? I thought it worked quite well together.

I'll grant you that he doesn't precisely forge new ground with this one. What he does do is give you everything he's good at, at full force. I particularly love his intricate dialogue and tension-building.
  • QT has said one thing that has made me psyched as I know he wouldn't have done this if he didn't have a reason. "The Bride will return..."
  • edited December 2009
    I wish I had words to describe how goddamn amazing this film is. "Masterpiece" fails it.

I just finished watching it for the first time and I'm at a loss for words. My mind is blown.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited December 2009
    "Masterpiece" fails it.
    Ehhhhh.

I saw this movie twice total in theaters and had no regrets, but it doesn't even compete for best Tarantino movie imo, forget masterpiece.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Agree to disagree.
  • The film had some great scenes in it but it really didn't work very well as whole.

I'll grant you that he doesn't precisely forge new ground with this one. What he does do is give you everything he's good at, at full force. I particularly love his intricate dialogue and tension-building.
    The plot was pretty basic, none of the characters had depth, they were all just abit flat for me. As I said some of the scenes, mainly the opening scene and the bar scene, were awesome but the rest of it really didn't work well together. I worry about people who seem to think that this film was a masterpiece, it wasn't even the best war film out in the month it came out in. It wouldn't be in the top 10 films I have seen this year yet alone of all time.
  • GeoGeo
    edited December 2009
    Inglourious Basterds is not technically a war movie. Granted, It is set during WWII, but it doesn't have share the common tropes that usually constitute a war film. Tarantino said it best when he described it as, and I quote, "a spaghetti western but with World War II iconography". For those who don't know what the latter are, spaghetti westerns are western films (as in cowboys, guns, etc) made either in Italy or by an Italian director. The best known example of this is The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly. When I found out about that quote after seeing the movie, my whole viewpoint of it changed.
    Post edited by Geo on

That's the truth. I was also pleasantly surprised by Brad Pitt. He's really not a bad actor, in spite of his prettyboy-ness. He does accents really well. He did a great accent in Snatch.

He does accents really well. He did a great accent inSnatch.
    This is true.
  • Inglourious Basterds is not technically a war movie. Granted, It is set during WWII, but it doesn't have share the common tropes that usually constitute a war film. Tarantino said it best when he described it as, and I quote, "a spaghetti western but with World War II iconography". For those who don't know what the latter are, spaghetti westerns are western films (as in cowboys, guns, etc) made either in Italy or by an Italian director. The best known example of this isThe Good, The Bad, and the Ugly. When I found out about that quote after seeing the movie, my whole viewpoint of it changed.
    The Ennio Morricone music didn't give you a clue?
  • GeoGeo
    edited December 2009
    Inglourious Basterds is not technically a war movie. Granted, It is set during WWII, but it doesn't have share the common tropes that usually constitute a war film. Tarantino said it best when he described it as, and I quote, "a spaghetti western but with World War II iconography". For those who don't know what the latter are, spaghetti westerns are western films (as in cowboys, guns, etc) made either in Italy or by an Italian director. The best known example of this isThe Good, The Bad, and the Ugly. When I found out about that quote after seeing the movie, my whole viewpoint of it changed.
    The Ennio Morricone music didn't give you a clue?
    Not at the time, no. But now I know better.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • He did a great accent inSnatch.
    Quoted for fucking truth! That is perhaps one of my favourite movie character accents ever.
  • He did a great accent inSnatch.
    Quoted for fuckingtruth!That is perhaps one of my favourite movie character accents ever.
    Do you like dags?
    What?
    Dags? You like dags?
    Oh, dogs. Sure, I like dags.
  • GeoGeo
    edited December 2009
    He did a great accent inSnatch.
    Quoted for fuckingtruth!That is perhaps one of my favourite movie character accents ever.
    Do you like dags?
    What?
    Dags? You like dags?
    Oh,dogs. Sure, I like dags.
    Love it! But shouldn't his lines be all one word because of how frickin' fast he talks?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Love it! But shouldn't his lines be all one word because of how frickin' fast he talks?
    It's not that hard to understand when you're used to it - some of my family speaks like this(they're not irish gypsies for the most part, but the particular type of Irish accent they have sounds very much like it - a thick, thick county cork accent)
  • edited February 2010
    Well, I was late to see this movie, but I must say that Christoph Waltz was brilliant. The way his character messes with people makes for such great cinema; I won't forget the milk or the shoe for some time.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on