This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090824 - What If * Were Open Source?

13»

Comments

• You know, now that I think about it, I might have it wrong. I think running very SLOW is for fat-burning. Because your body can't burn fat without a steady supply of oxygen. When you start running faster, you can't process oxygen fast enough to burn fat, so you have to burn the glycogen in your muscles. But you're burning calories, whether they come from fat or glycogen, which is going to translate into less body fat, unless you eat more.
    Exactly. Any exercise you do that's fat burning is one where you could still be able to carry on a normal conversation while doing it. This means ensures that you're still in aerobic respiration and not anaerobic.
  • I never heard of "Quickly" before this podcast, but it sounds like it could be super awesome. I've wanted to start programming in a serious way, but never had enough motivation. Now if only there was a Linux equivalent of Apple's app store. With fewer restrictions of course...
  • I never heard of "Quickly" before this podcast, but it sounds like it could be super awesome. I've wanted to start programming in a serious way, but never had enough motivation. Now if only there was a Linux equivalent of Apple's app store. With fewer restrictions of course...
    Uh, an app store is sort of unecessary with Linux. If your application is popular, every distribution will include it in their repository. The repositories are basically just like the app store, only everything is free and almost everything is open source.
  • Uh, an app store is sort of unecessary with Linux. If your application is popular, every distribution will include it in their repository. The repositories are basically just like the app store, only everything is free and almost everything is open source.
    I apologize, I meant an app store for closed source applications. I think having a solid app store in Linux would possibly tempt people to switch and then become exposed to FOSS.
  • I listened to this episode in the car with my dad on the way to Rochester. He thinks Scott is full of shit.

Near the end of the episode:
    Me: Is this painful for you to listen to or something?
    Dad: No!... Yes.
  • I apologize, I meant an app store for closed source applications. I think having a solid app store in Linux would possibly tempt people to switch and then become exposed to FOSS.
    There are almost no closed source applications for Linux, except for a few enterprise apps. A closed source app store would be very empty. Why would someone get an app from a closed source app store when there is an open source free app store that is loaded with more things than you can imagine?

If you are thinking about making an app with Quickly, and you are planning to make it closed source, you are in for a rude awakening. If it's not open source and/or free absolutely nobody will use it or even look at it. If you bring it to a Linux user's attention, they may laugh.

Also, I do not know the license terms of Quickly. If the GPL is involved, it might be a violation to make closed-source apps with it. This is another reason that pretty much every Linux app is open source. It's often illegal to make them closed source because of the share-alike nature of the GPL.
  • If you are thinking about making an app with Quickly, and you are planning to make it closed source, you are in for a rude awakening. If it's not open source and/or free absolutely nobody will use it or even look at it. If you bring it to a Linux user's attention, they may laugh.
    I'm not thinking of close sourcing an app made with Quickly. I have no problem with open source or closed source. I just wish there was something to motivate developers to code for Linux. Things would be so much better if I was in charge, but I don't control the world; yet.....
  • I just wish there was something to motivate developers to code for Linux.
    The only reason Linux exists at all is for the fact that it's open. There are plenty of motivations in the world other than money.
  • So, that game hacks thing got sent around the office today, and I finally got around to reading it.
    I think my favorite was the programmer who took the four pictures of his face happy-normal-angry-furious to show frame rate drops when the developers added different assets.
    That was cracking me up something fierce.
  • Apreche:
    Yeah - I only got around to listening to the episode in the last week or so.. I just read through the discussion around the exercise.

I think it might be exercise induced dyspnea, which basically means when you exercise, you don't breathe normally. From what I gather, the type of breathing abnormality varies. The definition is pretty interesting: airway obstruction that occurs in association with exercise without regard to the presence of chronic asthma. It's a bit of a vicious cycle though because when you exercise, you get tired, which discourages you from exercising. The effects of the endorphins that makes other people feel good after exercising is probably cancelled out by the pain of muscular oxygen deprivation.

I would imagine that doctors would find it hard to diagnose, because most general doctors would see it as a "last-resort" diagnosis. It's not the kind of thing you even look for, unless you're a pulminologist and it's what you get paid to do. Exercise physiologists would also be a good place to start.

Bottom line, though, I would say first learn how to breathe properly (which you probably haven't learned to do because you don't do much exercise) and then learn how to breathe while exercising. Yoga would be a good place to start, as previously suggested.