This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090826 - Bokurano Review and Final Thoughts

Comments

• I'll apologize for my first right now. It's embarrassing.
    Funny thing -- it was you that made me apologize for my first. :)
    Haha, I had to look back to see what actually happened. Sorry, I needed to defend our beloved Grandpa Joe :)
  • Haha, I had to look back to see what actually happened. Sorry, I needed to defend our beloved Grandpa Joe :)
    It's cool. I was totally out of line.

I think it's all because people come to this forum, expecting it to be like the rest of the internet. But this is like an oasis of sanity, where that shit doesn't fly. This forum has a really good "culture". I was just thinking today about how it reminds me of my favorite local BBS, back in the mid-90s. People were respectful, because we all lived within like 15 minutes of each other, and you'd probably meet these people someday. This board feels the same way.
  • Haha, I had to look back to see what actually happened. Sorry, I needed to defend our beloved Grandpa Joe :)
    It's cool. I was totally out of line.

I think it's all because people come to this forum, expecting it to be like the rest of the internet. But this is like an oasis of sanity, where that shit doesn't fly. This forum has a really good "culture". I was just thinking today about how it reminds me of my favorite local BBS, back in the mid-90s. People were respectful, because we all lived within like 15 minutes of each other, and you'd probably meet these people someday. This board feels the same way.
    I would describe it differently, but yeah, the culture is definitely unique and interesting. People are so super respectful, that it becomes misinterpreted by newcomers. But once you enter into the culture (meeting people in real life helps, as I did at Otakon), then it becomes difficult to say angry things to someone when you know them in person, unless it's justified.
  • People were respectful, because we all lived within like 15 minutes of each other, and you'd probably meet these people someday. This board feels the same way.
    That's a great way of putting it.
  • edited August 2009
    People were respectful, because we all lived within like 15 minutes of each other, and you'd probably meet these people someday. This board feels the same way.
    That's a great way of putting it.
    Now I think about it, this is the only internet community where I can honestly say that I'd love to meet the vast majority of it's members. Cheers to you guys.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • FRC forum lovefest! Seriously, yeah, I agree. This is a special forum. I hope I do get to meet you guys someday.
  • I have to agree, there is something special about the community here. FRC forums ftw.
  • edited August 2009
    I am a man, and I live with no regrets. I will admit to bad decisions in the past, but each one of those taught me something, not just about the world, but about myself. I will not feel grieve over events which have ultimately taught me so much. I apologize for nothing.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited August 2009
    Heh, I just saw the last couple of posts, and I clearly missed something big. I'm going back to have a look.
    5 SECONDS! Well, although beaten to it, trolling isn't disagreeing. It's purposefully being wrong as to make people angry. It's a strongly held belief on these forums that I am in fact a troll, which is wrong.
    No, trolling has nothing to do with being wrong or right. The best definition is along the lines of "posting with the intent to piss someone off". The problem with this definition is that you can't ascertain someone's intent. However, the fact is that Nine is often rather inflammatory where there is no need for it, so although we cannot assume that it is his intent to piss people off, there is a pretty reasonable basis for saying that Nine sometimes trolls.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
    edited August 2009
    No, trolling has nothing to do with being wrong or right. The best definition is along the lines of "posting with the intent to piss someone off". The problem with this definition is that you can't ascertain someone's intent. However, the fact is that Nine is often rather inflammatory where there is no need for it, so although we cannot assume that it is his intent to piss people off, there is a pretty reasonable basis for saying that Nine sometimes trolls.
    Sorry Cheese, seems you too fall in the trap of attributing everything to 'trolling'.
    Trolling is trying to get a rise out of someone. Forcing them to respond to you, either through wise-crackery, posting incorrect information, asking blatantly stupid questions, or other foolishness. However, trolling statements are never true or are ever meant to be construed as such. Nearly all trolled statements are meant to be funny to some people, so it does have some social/entertainment value.
    That's the first non-ambitious, non-uneducated, non-"ATTRIBUTE EVERYTHING TO EVERYTHINGTROLLS!" definition. All the fail definitions, like yours, exist only because so many people failed at trolling, yet continued to claim they were trolling (i.e. they kept being butthurt), resulting in people attributing things to trolling that have nothing to do with it. Being dumb does not a troll make. Spamming does not a troll make. Being inflammatory does not a troll make. Etc. does not a troll make. You also cannot troll with truth, since only morons will respond to that and you don't need to troll those to get entertainment.
    Alright, I apologize. I reacted too defensively to your post and using personal definitions of terms isn't good for anyone. I'm sorry for causing drama.
    Don't worry, you appear to be a pretty cool guy. You even brought walls of text to explain why you're a fan of the series, so at least you've surpassed the level or mere fanboy, or fanboi. You'll just have to live with random people just grouping the three most popular, currently running, shounen fighting manga in the same box.

EDIT: ALSO! I apologized IN my first post. Take that you apologizing-after-first-post-people.
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited August 2009
    Sorry Cheese, seems you too fall in the trap of attributing everything to 'trolling'.
    Trolling is trying to get a rise out of someone. Forcing them to respond to you, either through wise-crackery, posting incorrect information, asking blatantly stupid questions, or other foolishness. However,trolling statements are never trueor are ever meant to be construed as such. Nearly all trolled statements are meant to be funny to some people, so it does have some social/entertainment value.
    That's the first non-ambitious, non-uneducated, non-"ATTRIBUTE EVERYTHING TOEVERYTHINGTROLLS!" definition. All the fail definitions, like yours, exist only because so many people failed at trolling, yet continued to claim they were trolling (i.e. they kept being butthurt), resulting in people attributing things to trolling that have nothing to do with it. Being dumb does not a troll make. Spamming does not a troll make. Being inflammatory does not a troll make. Etc. does not a troll make. You also cannot troll with truth, since only morons will respond to that and you don't need to troll those to get entertainment.
    I don't give a shit about where the "fail" definitions arose, nor whether they "attribute everything to trolls". It doesn't matter in the least - terms are not defined by people like you attaching (excessive) emotional significance to them, they're defined by lots of people using them. The way most people use the term "troll" does not imply falsehood, and Wikipedia's definition of troll doesn't mention that either. I'm perfectly happy with the idea that it's "trying to get a rise out of someone", that's what I was saying myself. However, this mention of yours is the first time I've seen it said that "trolling statements are never true". Perhaps other people on these forums have heard that and I'm wrong and have just been exposed to a minority usage of the term, but I doubt it. If you're not happy with how the word "troll" is used, try to popularise a new, better word.

I've never apologised at all, and I don't intend to.
  • Rym - It sounded like you thought the meaning of the song "Uninstall" had to do with the towers, their purpose and their destruction (unless I totally misunderstood you). I always thought that it was more about the children being forced to change their entire outlook on life, having to "uninstall" their hopes, dreams, and nearly everything they thought they knew about life in order to become "a soldier who doesn't know fear".

Either way, I know that a lot of people assumed that "Uninstall" meant that there was a possibility that "the game" could be uninstalled at the end and everyone would come back to life, only to figure out that there was no way out and the song had a much darker implication.
  • The song is pretty great, though I haven't seen the anime.
  • edited August 2009
    The song is pretty great, though I haven't seen the anime.
    I love that song. Even the first few notes are just so haunting. It suits the show perfectly. (You should watch it. ;P)
    Post edited by loltsundere on
  • edited August 2009
    Chiaki Ishikawa is a great singer. Admittedly, though, I hadn't heard any of her songs before an insert song in Sengoku Basara.
  • I don't give a shit about where the "fail" definitions arose, nor whether they "attribute everything to trolls". It doesn't matter in the least - terms are not defined by people like you attaching (excessive) emotional significance to them, they're defined by lots of people using them. The way most people use the term "troll" does not imply falsehood, and Wikipedia's definition of troll doesn't mention that either. I'm perfectly happy with the idea that it's "trying to get a rise out of someone", that's what I was saying myself. However, this mention of yours is the first time I've seen it said that "trolling statements are never true". Perhaps other people on these forums have heard that and I'm wrong and have just been exposed to a minority usage of the term, but I doubt it. If you're not happy with how the word "troll" is used, try to popularise a new, better word.
    It seems you care enough for you to respond in a manner different from what we're used to, Cheese. Interesting. :) Also, I don't really attach any (excessive) emotional significance to the word 'troll', just words, and proper communication, in general. May I remind you that many, many people use 'their' to mean "they are"? And 'its' to mean "It is"? Most likely much more people use 'its' and 'their' that way, than use 'troll' by 'your' definition, or 'mine'. So, as per your statement, we shouldn't abolish the, in our eyes, bad grammar. After all, they are just using a different definition for the used words, which then make perfect sense.

As for 'popularising' a new word, people will act just as dumb and will start using that word instead of 'troll' to talk about spammers, idiots, republicans, democrats, flamers, atheists, Christians, Muslims, homosexuals, lesbians, furries, jerks, assholes and trolls, and whatever falls under the original definition of the word I popularise. As I said before, calling something a 'troll' is the Rickroll of '09.
    I've never apologised at all, and I don't intend to.
    The usage of the word 'sorry' in apologetic manner. In three,
    Sorry, I assumed you were being serious because you're Dutch.
    two,
    First of all, sorry for being overly aggressive with my past few posts.
    one,
    I'm sorry to bump, but I'd like a response on that one.
    OH SHITS.
    Sorry 70814, I had to get you back for revealing my identity. It's a pity I won't even know you when I see you again, as you'll have a different number.
    FYI, I won't have a number. KWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh wait, you were kidding.
    Intentionally making an absurd or false statement to get a rise out of somebody.
  • edited August 2009
    Troll definition as held by poster and a large quantity of relative 'oldfags'Intentionally making an absurd or false statement to get a rise out of somebody.
    The truth is often absurd.
    Oh wait, you were kidding.
    This.
  • The truth is often absurd.
     * hugs Cheesy and gives him a cookie.
    Agreed, I never said the UD definition was entirely correct, just that it had less bad qualities. Also, I just realized that I used 'ambitious' instead of 'ambiguous'. TIGUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

Now apologize for not having pointed me on that error, and that you don't have enough cheese.
  • edited August 2009
    * hugs Cheesy and gives him a cookie.
    * Eats the cookie and hugs Nine back, with an inquisitive glance.
    Now apologize for not having pointed me [sic] on that error, and that you don't have enough cheese.
    Never! I thought it was what you meant to say, though it did seem a bit strange to say a definition was "ambitious" - I assumed this meant it encompassed too much. Plus, you said it in the same sentence as "non-uneducated".
    It seems you care enough for you to respond in a manner different from what we're used to, Cheese. Interesting. :)
    Probably.
    Also, I don't really attach any (excessive) emotional significance to the word 'troll', just words, and proper communication, in general.
    I agree, but I don't see what this has to do with "proper communication". This is a debate about semantics, at best a discussion on the relative usefulness of arbitrary terms.
    May I remind you that many, many people use 'their' to mean "they are"? And 'its' to mean "It is"? Most likely much more people use 'its' and 'their' that way, than use 'troll' by 'your' definition, or 'mine'.
    That says nothing about the ratio of people who use "its" instead of "it's" to that between people who use "troll" one way or another. Additionally, though quantity plays a major role, quality plays one as well. Nonetheless, the fact is that we live in a world where the American perversion of English is widely accepted and is probably the standard.There are plenty of examples that could be brought up of such things that are now widely accepted.
    So, as per your statement, we shouldn't abolish the, in our eyes, bad grammar.
    Of course we shouldn't abolish it! We should look sternly down our noses at them, however.

So, let's get back on track - why is the term "troll" useless without the requirement of falsehood? Besides, are you saying you're never wrong?
  • So, let's get back on track - why is the term "troll" useless without the requirement of falsehood? Besides, are you saying you're never wrong?
    Strawman.
  • edited August 2009
    Um, I'm pretty sure my first statement is the core of Nine's position on the issue.
    The second point is a side note. However, unless Nine is always right, he's probably trolled at one point or another, and that would qualify him as a troll. After all, this whole debate is actually about Nine not wanting to be called a troll ^_~
  • I would be more inclined to call Nine a devils advocate than a troll.
  • Well, now I have watched the first 5 episodes of Bokurano. I can say I like it very much so far. I should watch the rest of the show over the next few weeks.
  • Okay, I finished watching it. Too addicting.
    So...That was pretty much incredible. Better than a lot of shows I've seen. The ending was...Interesting...I dunno...
  • You marathoned it? I found it too dark, depressing, and heavy to watch in sets of more than a few episodes at a time (much like Monster).
  • At first that's what I was doing...But when I watched, like...So many episodes last night. I finished the last 4 this morning.
  • You marathoned it? I found it too dark, depressing, and heavy to watch in sets of more than a few episodes at a time (much like Monster).
    I don't know, the show is this werid mix of uplifting and depressing. I found the middle to contain a lot of uplifting stories while the reveals always brought it back down... ^_^
  • FRC Forums: Making newbs apologize since 2005 or something.

(I had to apologize for my very first post!)
    I got +10 points of nerd cred for my first post and didn't have to apologize for anything until over nine months after I joined. ;)

On-topic, this show is still on my fairly long list of things that need watching. Scrym make a very good case for pushing it up higher in my priorities, though. :o Also, even though I haven't seen it, I still really like the song "Uninstall" (it's one of my top 100 favourite anime songs). "Vermillion" is really good too, and it doesn't get nearly enough love.
  • "Vermillion" is really good too, and it doesn't get nearly enough love.
    I was happy! Now I'm all sad again, especially on rewatching the EDs. Note how they're all happy in the Vermillion ED. I agree that both ending songs are good, though I don' t know which I like better, Vermillion or Little Bird.