This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090826 - Bokurano Review and Final Thoughts

124»

Comments

• Awesome, I totally wanted to read that manga... Now if someone could find me the irresponsible captain Tyler manga I'd be all set.
  • Okay, I finished watching it. Too addicting.
    So...That was pretty much incredible. Better than a lot of shows I've seen. The ending was...Interesting...I dunno...
    When I first started to watch it I ended up marathoning it over 3 days. Good stuff.

I need to read all of his manga.

Here's a one shot of his.
  • edited September 2009
    I finally got around to watching Bokurano(in about 3 days time) so I just listened to the podcast in full. First, I prefer having the review/final thoughts combined as one show like you did with this one. A review show only benefits those who haven't seen it and a final thoughts show only benefits those who have, but a consolidated show can be suited to either group as long as you keep a distinct spoiler line.

Bokurano was excellent and I'm very interesting in reading the manga to see how much more in-depth they get with the mythos. One thing I would disagree with the review on is the realism in the characters. Their reaction to the situations didn't ring true with me. The kids seemed too stoic and mature for their age and the adults either didn't care or were completely incompetent. I think the most realistic reaction comes from the would-be rapist. When people come to the realization that they're about to be killed, there's usually a lot of wailing and incoherent babbling. Some will take it in stride, but most don't. Then you have the parents who knew about the situation like the government official and the news reporter. These assholes knew their kids had a death-sentence and yet acted like everything was normal for the most part instead of cherishing their remaining time. And where is the government in all of this? Those kids should have been quarantined and used to facilitate communication with a known alien life form. Instead they were left to go about their daily lives as giant robot monsters kill countless people(of whom no one seems to care about either). Then again, I think there was much more time allowed to pass than what we ever get to see so perhaps all that stuff gets taken care of in the gaps. I hope it's something that gets fleshed out in the manga.

Still, the ideas in the show are amazing and overall it's one of the better things I've seen recently. I like it a million times more than that drilling show. Rah, rah, fight da powwwah.
    Post edited by BrutishSaucer on