This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

20th Century Boys

edited August 2006 in Manga/Comics
Well basically I started to read this awesome manga about two years ago, and it is just great. I am kind of surprised no one has started a thread about this great manga.

Well, to the basics, the creator is Naroki Urasawa, who is the guy who wrote Mr. Keaton, Pluto, and Monster. This is one of his latest works, and it is still going. So far, there are about 19 volumes, and it looks like it will end in about 2 or 4. The plot is so big that it is very hard to explain it, but I will do my best. So, here I go.

Basically this movie tells the story of Kenji. Kenji is a middle aged Japanese guy who works in his family convenience store. He lives with his mom, and he also takes care of his sister's daughter. He is not that smart, which is kind of refreshing since most of Urasawa's heroes are very intelligent and overall perfect. Kenji loves classic rock and roll, and he once had the chance to make it big but he had to take care of something very important. He is very likable and also the only one who can stop the lies, miracles and deceiving of Friend. This story makes the reader think about their past actions ( it sure made me think about mine) and their consequences. So guys, if you have had a weird plan to conquer the world when you guy were kid, be aware.

I am a normal kid, but I give this manga 10/10.

The series was taken by the same one that took Monster, and it will likely be published after Monster is finished, so it won't be on our shelves until 2008. This manga is not easy to find on the net, but wait, this is the front row crew to whom I am writing so I am pretty sure that you guys can find it. *Wink* Null *Wink* Wink* "Null does not exist" ;P

Enjoy Guys.

Comments

• I'm totally buying that if I ever see it.
  • I know all about this manga, and I want to read it very badly. However, they will not publish it in the US until they finish publishing Monster. I guess I will have to wait.
  • edited August 2006
    The manga went "underground" and I will be glad to help you guys find it. I know it has being licensed, but I was on volume 5 went that happened and I needed to get it. I am a bad person : ( . But I swear: when the manga gets here I WILL BUY IT.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • If I wanted to I could buy the entire manga in Japanese. Of course, I wouldn't be able to read it, but that's besides the point. I have so many other comics, manga and books on my plate now, so I can stand to be patient and just wait for the real US release. It will be here way sooner than you think. I remember when they licensed Death Note and I thought it would take so long for it to come out. Now the books are almost caught up to where I stopped reading scanslations.
  • edited August 2006
    Lucky you. I just do not see this one being out for at least 2 years. I just want to expand the love for this manga, but not to the extent of annoying people :P
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Ive done all I can...
  • And we thank you.
  • Oh, oh! I've been waiting to do this:
    I've done all I can...
  • Trogdor42, you are the man.
  • edited August 2006
    Duplicate - ignore.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • The first chapter of the last volume is out on the net. I haven't read it but I know is gonna be awesome.
  • Yeah, I love 20th Century Boys. I've read a little bit of it, but like Scott I'm just being patient.
  • Yeah, I love 20th Century Boys. I've read a little bit of it, but like Scott I'm just being patient.
    I really tried to wait but the plot was really good and when I started reading them they were not licensed yet, also I was already on volume 13 or 14. I am lucky enough that I did not know about Monster, even though I can download the anime I prefer buying the manga. I will definitely buy the manga of 20th Century Boys when it comes out.

If my math is correct, there are 12 more volumes to go for Moster, and it is release bimonthly so all will be done in 2 more years, and then 20 Century Boys will start, and that one has 22 volumes so for the last awesome volume of 20th Century Boys to arrive to America will be in about 5 to 6 years. Maybe after that we can get Pluto.
  • Yeah, I just got volume 6 last week. But I'm sure it won't be 5 years. Maybe one and a half at the most.
  • edited January 2007
    Yeah, I just got volume 6 last week. But I'm sure it won't be 5 years. Maybe one and a half at the most.
    Well, is not gonna take 5 years for 20th Century Boys to get here, at most it will take 2 years. And then it will be only the beginning.
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • Ok, I will only say:
    WTF Naoki Urasawa! :P
  • Oh, oh! I've been waiting to do this:
    I've done all I can...
    Yeah. That's more of a typo than a grammar mistake. Your "pwned" dance is reminiscent of the misshapen dwarves dancing around Aslan when he was tied to the Rock.
  • edited August 2007
    Finished it this morning at around 2:30AM gmt and I am contemplating trying to translate the first few chapters of 21st century boys that's been floating around raw.
    Defiantly one of the better manga I've read, can anyone suggest anything similar?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Finished it this morning at around 2:30AM gmt and I am contemplating trying to translate the first few chapters of 21st century boys that's been floating around raw. Defiantly one of the better manga I've read, can anyone suggest anything similar?

"Pluto", is not similar but it is created from the same mangaka.
  •  
    I can't wait for the movie
  • I am planing to buy all of this manga but only because is finally out :D
  • I just bought the first volume of this and the first volume of Pluto from Righstuf. Unfortunately, they are both backordered...<_<
  • So, I finally got the manga. I have read it all thanks to the many scanlations out there. However, re-reading this piece of art is something amazing. I mean I forgot about the little things such as baby Kanna changing faces while her uncle talks to his mother. Or how funny the main characters were as little kids. Man, I remember doing that stuff with my friends. Also, the suttle Tezuka references such as Ochanomizu Institute of Technology really enhance the experience, well only if you know who is Ochanomizu. And if you don't what are you doing reading manga if you do not know Astro Boy.
    This story is awesome and if you are reasing it you understand why :D
  • edited May 2009
    I just bought the first volume of this manga a few days ago not knowing anything about it. The name sounded familiar, but when I saw who made it I knew it had to be good. It almost reminds me of Watchmen in the way the story is told, switching back and forth from the past to the present as the story unfurls. Plus there is another way it is like Watchmen that I'm sure all of you who have read it can understand. I will definitely be buying more of this manga in the future.
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • Has anyone watched the movie?
  • Movie is good but watch it only if you have read the first 8 volumes of the manga.
  • Yeah, I'll be checking it out. Sampled scans of 20th Century Boys and its sweet. Also loving Pluto.

I just hope Urusawa's work, helps more of Kaiji Kawaguchi's get released too. Eagle I'm trying to collect, but I'd love to be able to buy Zipang and A Spirit of the Sun.
  • Yeah, I'll be checking it out. Sampled scans of 20th Century Boys and its sweet. Also loving Pluto.

I just hope Urusawa's work, helps more of Kaiji Kawaguchi's get released too. Eagle I'm trying to collect, but I'd love to be able to buy Zipang and A Spirit of the Sun.
    Oh I hope so, the only manga I really actually like these days is by Urusawa and Kawaguchi ^_^