This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Movies you can watch over and over again

Comments

• Heavy Metal
    Whoa. I can't even watch that once.
  • Heavy Metal
    Seconded.
  • Heavy Metal
    Blasphemy!
  • Pete, that movie is terrible and what little I have seen of it always makes me feel queasy.
  • Pete, that movie is terrible and what little I have seen of it always makes me feel queasy.
    STFU and GBTW, that movie was awesome.
  • ...that movie was awesome.
    Maybe if you have the discernment and taste of a 13 year old boy. :P
  • ...that movie was awesome.
    Maybe if you have the discernment and taste of a 13 year old boy. :P
    HEY! 15 year old boys enjoy that movie too!
  • edited September 2009
    HEY! 15 year old boys enjoy that movie too!
    Maybe particularly immature ones do. :P
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • HEY! 15 year old boys enjoy that movie too!
    Maybe particularly immature ones do. :P
    "Immature" and "15 year old boy" are redundant. :P
  • Starship Troopers
    Her?
  • Starship Troopers
    Her?
    Sorry. I must not be hitting on all cylinders this morning. What do you mean?

@ Pete and Mrs. MacRoss - I thought this was "Movies You can Watch Over and Over", not "Movies that are Mature, Highly Sophisticated, and Culturally Significant." Sure, Heavy Metal is immature. I spend about 60 hours during the work-week being very mature. Sometimes I like to take a break and watch an immature movie. Jeez.
  • Starship Troopers
    Her? Really?

• - The Transporter
    - Transformers the Movie (the one from 1984)
    Really?
  • @ Pete and Mrs. MacRoss - I thought this was "Movies You can Watch Over and Over", not "Movies that are Mature, Highly Sophisticated, and Culturally Significant." Sure,Heavy Metalis immature. I spend about 60 hours during the work-week being very mature. Sometimes I like to take a break and watch an immature movie. Jeez.
    Understandably, but - for me - that movie is unwatchable.

• - The Transporter
    - Transformers the Movie (the one from 1984)
    Really?
    For me The Transporter falls in the same category as Heavy Metal for you.
  • edited September 2009
    Groundhog Day
    Pride and Prejudice (BBC 1995 version with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth)
    High Fidelity
    Bull Durham
    The Princess Bride
    Pulp Fiction
    Star Wars (especially The Empire Strikes Back)
    Post edited by Hank on
  • GeoGeo
    edited September 2009
    - Dark City
    Rym still hasn't seen this. I keep trying to make him watch it.
    Really?! But that seems like it is right up his alley? I bet that, to him, it's one of those movies that you want to see, but just never get the chance to or something else comes up all the time. Would I be correct in this assumption? That's what The Royal Tenenbaums and Eraserhead are to me, I desperately want to see them because I've heard either moderately to highly positive reviews about it.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Pride and Prejudice (BBC 1995 version with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth)
    Yay! Someone agrees with me on that! Even though it takes an entire afternoon to watch, it makes time fly by on a rainy day.
  • - Dark City
    Rym still hasn't seen this. I keep trying to make him watch it.
    Aw man Dark City rules. I've only seen it twice, I feel like rewatching it tonight.
  • Dark City is a very good movie mired with occasionally poorly written and/or delivered dialogue, and an ending that's outright terrible.
  • Dark City just didn't do it for me. I don't know why -- it's probably been 10 years since I've seen it. I usually like movies with that kind of aesthetic.
  • - Back To The future Trilogy
    - Original Star Wars Trilogy
    - Any Miyazaki
    - The Happiness of the Katakuris
    - Ghostbusters
    - Any Monty Python
    - Robin Hood: Men in tights
    - The Big Lebowski
    - Half Baked
    - Tremors
  • edited September 2009
    Dark City should be titled The Gothic Matrix, except that it beat The Matrix to the punch by a year and Rufus Sewell can act. It would also appeal to Rym because of its heavily solipsistic message, and its look at verificationism (implanted/false memories play a big role). There is some bad dialogue and some effects that don't hold up too well, but for the most part it's beautifully shot. Look:

Post edited by Jason on
  • edited September 2009
    Any Kevin Smith Movie
    Fight Club
    Inside Man
    The Warriors
    Post edited by MarcusNoble on
  • Any Kevin Smith Movie
    Even Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back? I felt that was pretty sub-par.
  • Dark City just didn't do it for me. I don't know why -- it's probably been 10 years since I've seen it. I usually like movies with that kind of aesthetic.
    While I liked what the film was trying to do and the overall aesthetic, the weak writing, spotty acting, and poorly executed ending really bogged down the film for me. I am glad I saw it, but a re-watch would just drive me to the bookshelf while others watched it.

• Inside Man
    Forgot how much this movie rocked!
    Should have been on my list, rewatching right now.
    Dark City just didn't do it for me. I don't know why -- it's probably been 10 years since I've seen it. I usually like movies with that kind of aesthetic.
    While I liked what the film was trying to do and the overall aesthetic, the weak writing, spotty acting, and poorly executed ending really bogged down the film for me. I am glad I saw it, but a re-watch would just drive me to the bookshelf while others watched it.
    I agree completely.
  • Any Kevin Smith Movie
    I'm adding those to my list. Mallrats is the main one. Followed by the two Clerks and then everything else he did.
  • Do parts and bits of movies count? I like Rocky Horror up until the point where the professor dude comes in for dinner.
  • edited September 2009
    It's kind of a guilty pleasure but I love Major League. I've seen the movie at least ten times already. Other than that:

Fight Club
    The Blues Brothers
    Remember the Titans
    Most Tarantino Movies
    The Last Boy Scout
    The Die Hard series
    Snatch
    Who framed Roger Rabbit
    Practically all Pixar movies
    Akira
    Ghost in the Shell
    The Castle of Cagliostro