This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Movies you can watch over and over again

Comments

• I'm rather reticent on seeing that movie because of how much I dislike Milla Jovovich since she nearly murdered the Resident Evil series for me.
    MUUUULLLLLTEEEEEEPAAAAAASSSSSSS
  • @Andrew Sorry, but that doesn't mean anything to me...
    Die in a fire. Of cancer.
  • Die in a fire. Of cancer.
    Cancer fire? That sounds like it's worse than space AIDS.
  • Die in a fire. Of cancer.
    Seriously. The Fifth Element is something I will never tire of watching or quoting. Easily my favorite Luc Besson movie other than Leon.

Give me the cash!...

Take it! I don't need it!

One of my favorite scenes I like to act out.
    What...I don't understand what it is?
  • Nacho Libre.
  • Nacho Libre.
    I didn't find that movie to be funny in the slightest, and I feel the same way about Napoleon Dynamite.
  • Nacho Libre.
    I feel the same way about Napoleon Dynamite.
    Fuck Napoleon Dynamite.
    What...I don't understand what it is?
    LEELOO DALLAS, MULTIPASS!

You need to see The Fifth Element, my friend. So awesome. Of course, everything Ralph Fiennes touches turns to gold.
    Fuck Napoleon Dynamite.
    Ah, the Napoleon Dynamite Problem.
  • Ah, theNapoleon Dynamite Problem.
    Wow, that's fascinating. I also enjoyed the other two movies they mentioned, Lost In Translation, and I Heart Huckabees.
  • Napoleon Dynamite and I <3 Huckabees are among my favorite movies.
  • I enjoy Napoleon Dynamite, but I've seen it too many times. I can only watch it every 2-3 years without it becoming dull.
  • I like Napoleon Dynamite. I feel like it's unintentionally dadaist.
  • edited February 2010
    I'm rather reticent on seeing that movie because of how much I dislike Milla Jovovich since she nearly murdered the Resident Evil series for me.
    Honestly, her performance wasn't bad in those movies. The writing, plot, dialogue and direction were terrible and she did as well as any of the actors with the material given. She was actually quite good in The Fifth Element and was fantastic in The Messenger.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I enjoy Napoleon Dynamite, but I've seen it too many times. I can only watch it every 2-3 years without it becoming dull.
    I enjoy Napoleon Dynamite, but I mostly hate the character of Napoleon. He's the atypical nerdy douchebag who thinks everyone else is dumb.
  • He's the atypical nerdy douchebag who thinks everyone else is dumb.
  • edited February 2010
    -Field of Dreams: Because you can make a movie where the men will start crying and the women just wont understand.
    -Hunt for Red October: Fantastic cold war drama
    -Finding Forrester: brings up the danger of stereotypes as well as how cool Sean Connery still is.
    -The Thomas Crown Affair: Witty, actiony, spy-y. Also, I have a bit of a man crush on Pierce Brosnan.

Also, NONE OF THE LOTR MOVIES. If they could fly home on giant bird things, why couldn't they just fly to volcano? I mean, if I was Frodo, I'd be fucking PISSED. I cannot stand it when characters act non optimally just for the sake of dramatic narratives. If I leave the movie theater facepalming, something is WRONG.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Finding Forrester: brings up the danger of stereotypes as well as how cool Sean Connery still is.
    You're the man now, dawg!
    If they could fly home on giant bird things, why couldn't they just fly to volcano?
    One does not simply fly into Mordor, they would be shot out of the sky and the movie would end with their burnt bodies crashing into the ground.
  • RE: The Fifth Element, thought it was dumb on first viewing. I really don't get why so many people like this movie. I'm going to say that it's just nostalgia.

RE: Napolean Dynamite, what Geofino said.
  • I really don't get why so many people like this movie. I'm going to say that it's just nostalgia.
    No, it's actually a good movie. Really. The plot itself is a little corny, I'll grant you that, but I can buy it in the context of the story. Plus, it's some great science fiction, and it's fun. It's pretty much a benchmark in terms of enjoyable and appealing movie experiences. Seriously, Geo, give it a go. I virtually guarantee that you will enjoy it.

Fuck all you Napoleon Dynamite haters.
  • I really don't get why so many people like this movie. I'm going to say that it's just nostalgia.
    If that's true, then why do so many younger people, introduced to it now for the first time, also love it?
  • RE: The Fifth Element, thought it was dumb on first viewing. I really don't get why so many people like this movie. I'm going to say that it's just nostalgia.
    It is a genuinely funny comedy, a romping action flick, it has some lovely visuals, and is overall entertaining. It really isn't nostalgia, it is just differing tastes.
  • If that's true, then why do so many younger people, introduced to it now for the first time, also love it?
    On the one hand, I would use the same argument that I make for Star Wars. Those young people are either: 1) influenced by their parents/peers into assuming that it's great because they have the nostalgia, or 2) they are young enough that anything fantastical is awesome (the superhero syndrome). On the other hand, the Fifth Element isn't nearly on the same level as those movies, so that argument shouldn't apply.

But to be fair, I will give the movie another shake and go out of my way to see it again with a set of older, more experienced eyes. I'll just be sure to remember to mute whenever Chris Tucker comes on screen.
  • I'll just be sure to remember to mute whenever Chris Tucker comes on screen.
    Are you kidding me? That's one of the highlights of the film...
  • I'll just be sure to remember to mute whenever Chris Tucker comes on screen.
    Unbelievable!
  • Ruby Rhodd is the man. Also, The Fifth Element gave us the most awesome BFG ever:

• Thanks, Funfetus, for having love for Lost In Translation. It's all about being lonely in the middle of a crowd.
  • Thanks, Funfetus, for having love forLost In Translation. It's all about being lonely in the middle of a crowd.
    I liked Lost In Translation, but I didn't love it. Something about it screamed high budget student film, even though it wasn't one.
  • edited February 2010
    Thanks, Funfetus, for having love forLost In Translation. It's all about being lonely in the middle of a crowd.
    Lost in Translation was weird for me, because I watched it after having lived in Japan. A lot of the shots of places, like the one of that big crosswalk in Shibuya, that they presented as weird and alien to the main characters were a daily thing for me. (That specific one was were I changed trains going to school.) I could understand what people were saying when they are rambling on and the main characters were confused, so the effect was totally lost. It was strange as a post-culture-shock gaijin watching a movie about gaijin in the middle of severe culture-shock. It's like when there are New York City movies where they show shots like "Wow! Big City!" and I am like, "Hey, there's that deli on 5th that I used to go to."
    Post edited by gomidog on