This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Disney to buy Marvel

Comments

• The Emperor's New Groove is totally awesome, take that back.

Ummm.. You guys realize there are like a ton of studio's under Disney that make great movies.
    Other studios owned by Disney
    Emperor's New Groove makes me laugh. Totally forgot about that one.
  • The Emperor's New Groove
    This is a much better film than I ever expected it to be, and is probably one of my favourite "oldschool" Disney animations. Lilo and Stitch was also pretty good fun.

The rest of your list... yeah, they suck. Tarzan was the stupidest thing I've seen in a looooooong time.
  • At least it was Disney and not Fox.
  • At least it was Disney and not Fox.
    Yeah, it would mean that this moron would get money off me....
  • Tarzan
    Tarzan is great! The animation and the voice acting are some of the better Disney efforts in the past decade.
    Also, you people who don't like Lilo and Stitch can STFU. I love that movie.
  • edited August 2009
    The list is completely milktoast. The bulk of the films feel made by committee and have very temporal jokes with a short shelf life. A good half of them were financial failures.
    Below is the list of animated (3D included) films Disney released during my childhood. It is a mixed bag in terms of quality and there were far fewer released in that time period (1985 - 1998) than have been released since. I am not certain that selective memory, nostalgia, and personal tastes might be coming into play in analyzing animated Disney films of the past with more recent animated Disney films.

Mulan 1998
    My Friends Tigger and Pooh: Super Sleuth Christmas 1998
    Hercules 1997
    Hunchback of Notre Dame, The 1996
    James and the Giant Peach 1996
    Toy Story 1995
    Pocahontas 1995
    Goofy Movie, A 1995
    Lion King, The 1994
    Aladdin 1992
    Beauty and the Beast 1991
    Rescuers Down Under, The 1990
    Little Mermaid, The 1989
    Oliver and Company 1988
    Basil - The Great Mouse Detective 1986
    Black Cauldron, The 1985

EDIT: The Little Mermaid was released in 1989. My youth... where has it gone?
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • My youth... where has it gone?
    INTO A BLACK PIT OF DESPAIR!

My primary concern is also the degree of creative control that Disney will exercise here. I can picture them putting Tony Stark through rehab to make him more family friendly. I can also see Disney bringing the US comic book industry into a new era, but that's mostly a pipe dream.
  • Why would they take the few characters that reach a wide audience and with mass appeal and then destroy them? Also, don't they allow Pixar relative autonomy?
    I hope this opens up Marvel to produce a greater variety of story lines and characters beyond underwear perverts.
  • Tarzan
    Tarzan is great! The animation and the voice acting are some of the better Disney efforts in the past
    I think at that point, Tarzan was the last hurrah of the Disney Renaissance that began with The Little Mermaid and it is indeed a fantastic movie. Anyway you look at it, it's just a good movie.

Tarzan
    Also, you people who don't like Lilo and Stitch can STFU. I love that movie.
    The thing about that movie (to me anyway) was that it was okay, but it didn't really interest me...at all. It's a cute movie and I'll give it that, but I felt that it was a little imbalanced concerning story and visuals.

Also as a side note, I actually enjoyed Brother Bear quite a bit. It was pretty decent in my opinion and I thought the mysticism and story both worked well with each other.
  • edited August 2009
    The thing about that movie (to me anyway) was that it was okay, but it didn't really interest me...at all. It's a cute movie and I'll give it that, but I felt that it was a little imbalanced concerning story and visuals.
    The script was really good! If it felt unbalanced at all, that's probably from the conflict of the Disney execs trying to keep Chris Sanders from letting free his full crazy.
    Also as a side note, I actually enjoyed Brother Bear quite a bit. It was pretty decent in my opinion and I thought the mysticism and story both worked well with each other.
    Brother Bear was well animated, but it just felt so derivative. It didn't have anything new to show me: It was just Disney doing Disney in a bland formula. I think part of the reason I liked Lilo is that it was offbeat enough and original enough to catch my attention.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • When I read this I immediately thought of a terrible Hannah Montana/Spiderman special.
  • Maybe the Kiki's Delivery Service/Batman crossover can actually happen now!
  • edited August 2009
    Maybe the Kiki's Delivery Service/Batman crossover can actually happen now!
    Post edited by Viga on
  • *GASP*
    Gesundheit.
  • My primary concern is also the degree of creative control that Disney will exercise here. I can picture them putting Tony Stark through rehab to make him more family friendly.
    As Cremlian pointed out, they own everything from Touchstone to Miramax and ESPN. As far as I can tell they're mostly just raking in the cash with those companies; with Marvel they'll be able to continue to do the same thing. They only make things family friendly so they can make more money, and movies like Iron Man have raked in so much cash that they haven't got a reason to change them.
  • Tarzan
    Tarzan is great! The animation and the voice acting are some of the better Disney efforts in the past decade.
    The animation was indeed amazing. But doesn't an elephant swim out to a wooden ship, and somehow climb on board? What the hell? A key plot point, and we're not even show it. It just cuts away to a wide shot or something. Stuff like that makes me want to bash my head off a table, because kids deserve better.
  • Elephants can swim quite well. Climbing on a ship is another matter.
  • This is probably a rather cynical viewpoint on the subject, but I'm generally enthusiastic about this deal for one reason: Marvel is definitely not going anywhere, which means that they'll be around the rest of my (just starting) career. Unfortunately, Marvel and DC are about the only places in the American comics industry to draw a steady livable paycheck. The movies may have pulled them out for the time being, but Marvel was in bankruptcy not long ago. With giant corporate backing (like DC has had for years), it doesn't matter how bad they blow it -- they'll be there. I have pretty much zero emotional stock in Marvel comics, but it's nice to know that paying my rent drawing fucking Moon Knight or something would still be a possibility. :)
  • Miley Cyrus will have SOMETHING to do with at least one of the future Marvel productions.

I'd be willing to bet money.
  • edited August 2009
    Miley Cyrus will have SOMETHING to do with at least one of the future Marvel productions.

I'd be willing to bet money.
    Considering Disney pushed their younger stars into Ponyo, I wouldn't be surprised. However, unlike Ghibli, Marvel is not untaintable by bad actors, because we can't just switch to the Japanese version on Marvel movies. So, this could be a problem.
    Although the Cyrus and Jonas kiddies didn't make the dub of Ponyo bad, so maybe Miley Cyrus won't make Marvel bad...
    Post edited by Axel on
  • *princes and the frog trailer*
    Didn't james bond already defeat that villain?
  • I want to see "The Punisher kills the Hannah Montana Universe"

Didn't Disney own Miramax during the period of "Reservoir Dogs", "Pulp Fiction", "Trainspotting" and "The Crow"?
    I hope Marvel continues to churn out its own higher than normal quality (stripper poles in an airplane - Tony Stark) movies unhindered.
    Apparently Fantastic Four is going to be rebooted... hmm, plus I'm actually curious as to how the Avengers film will come together.
  • Best Penny Arcade in awhile.
  • Is it wrong that I want to see Peter Pan VS some Marvel villan?
  • Is it wrong that I want to see Peter Pan VS some Marvel villan?
    No, Peter Pan is the shiz.
  • GeoGeo
    edited September 2009
    Speaking of Peter Pan, has anyone ever read the source text that Peter Pan derived from? It's surprisingly difficult to read despite it being written too long ago (meaning less than 150 years), but I loved it. Actually I tried watching the Peter Pan World Masterpiece Theater Anime and...while it's so much more faithful to the source text unlike Disney, compared to other entries in the series, it's not that great.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Oh, Peter Pan was one of the first longer books I remember reading by myself. It's so great! Peter Pan is a lot more fierce and melancholy, and he wears leaves, like a fairy.
    Also, it is rather humorous at parts.