This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Disney to buy Marvel

13»

Comments

• edited September 2009
    Speaking of Peter Pan, has anyone ever read the source text that Peter Pan derived from? It's surprisingly difficult to read despite it being written too long ago (meaning less than 150 years), but I loved it. Actually I tried watching the Peter Pan World Masterpiece Theater Anime and...while it's so much more faithful to the source text unlike Disney, compared to other entries in the series, it's not that great.
    I did a few years ago and I want to read it again soon. But first IÂ’m going through "The Child Thief" by Brom (I guess he only has a first name). ItÂ’s basically a darker retelling of Peter Pan. I know that makes it sound like itÂ’s just some fan fiction writer in middle school taking J.M. Barrie and added more sex and the kind of violence you hear in metal songs but it is so far very good.
    Oh, Peter Pan was one of the first longer books I remember reading by myself. It's so great! Peter Pan is a lot more fierce and melancholy, and he wears leaves, like a fairy.
    Also, it is rather humorous at parts.
    Can you recommend me a better edition of it? The copy I own is an old beat up version put out by Scholastic.
    Post edited by Bigred0427 on
  • I know that makes it sound like its just some fan fiction writer in middle school taking J.M. Barrie and added more sex and the kind of violence you hear in metal songs but it is so far very good.
    Exactly what I'd expect from Brom. Plus some S&M;.
  • GeoGeo
    edited September 2009
    There is in fact an official sequel of Peter Pan that I actually picked up called "Peter Pan in Scarlet" and I know how people usually disregard an official sequel if it is a deviation from the original in a very small way. This is not the case with this book, I truly do believe and hereby dub it to be the official sequel to the series because it captures Sir Barrie's descriptiveness and mood from the original almost perfectly. It also takes quite a few shocking twists that could make you feel uncomfortable if you were a fan of the original book, but it just works somehow and makes you want to continue. Even looking at the cover catches your interest and might possibly make you want to read it. Overall it is absolutely fantastic, and it is a must read for anyone who liked the original book in any capacity. Here is the aforementioned cover, and tell me that isn't cool?!
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • There several official sequels. Adam purchased a few for me. They were okay, but not amazing.
  • Could someone define for me this "official sequel" thing? I mean, they aren't written by the author of the original work.
  • Could someone define for me this "official sequel" thing? I mean, they aren't written by the author of the original work.
    It would be licensed by the publisher or whomever owns the IP rights. I remember in fourth grade reading the "official" sequel to E.T., and having some very pointed questions about who made that decision.
    edited September 2009
    It would be licensed by the publisher or whomever owns the IP rights. I remember in fourth grade reading the "official" sequel to E.T., and having some very pointed questions about who made that decision.
    So... basically property milking. I liked it better when they called them just sequels. :
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited September 2009
    I fucking love Disney, and I don't like very many things from Marvel. So I really don't give 2 shits in hell about this (or, at the very least, I don't give 2 shits in hell if Disney "ruins" Marvel).

I love most Disney and Pixar movies. I'm with Mrs. Macross about the childhood memories (although I always thought she was a lot older than me...due to being "Mrs" and all).
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • @Dkong, I am 25. I got married at 23.
  • edited September 2009
    According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_and_Wendy) J.M. Barrie gave the rights to Peter Pan to the Great Ormond Street Hospital in Britain. So I am guessing a "Official" sequel would come from them.
    Post edited by Bigred0427 on
  • According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_and_Wendy) J.M. Barrie gave the rights to Peter Pan to the Great Ormond Street Hospital in Britain. So I am guessing a "Official" sequel would come from them.
    There is a way to actually make your link...a link. When you are typing in a new entry, there are many buttons on top. The 3rd right most button is the link button. Just follow the instructions and..BAM!
  • edited September 2009
    According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_and_Wendy) J.M. Barrie gave the rights to Peter Pan to the Great Ormond Street Hospital in Britain. So I am guessing a "Official" sequel would come from them.
    Reading the rest of the page would let you know that the GOSH only has royalty rights -- not copyrights -- since 1987 in Britain, and that in the US copyright control of only the play script and performances belong to GOSH.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_and_Wendy) J.M. Barrie gave the rights to Peter Pan to the Great Ormond Street Hospital in Britain. So I am guessing a "Official" sequel would come from them.
    Reading the rest of the page would let you know that the GOSH only has royalty rights -- not copyrights -- since 1987 in Britain, and that in the US copyright control of only the play script and performances belong to GOSH.
    Which I happen to know made it very tricky to make the film Finding Neverland, which when showing the stage production of film had to only pick bits that have never been shown in other film adaptations. When I watched I thought "Of all the bits, why this part of Peter Pan?"