This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090901 - PAX 2009 Preview

edited September 2009 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we tell you what you should be doing this weekend if you are going to PAX 2009. We also tell you what you should be doing this weekend if you are not going to PAX 2009. In the news, the high score on Galaga has been beaten, and you can win $10,000 for making a video game prototype.

Comments

• Sorry about the misiniformation about the monorail from Sea Tac to Seattle. It's not available till end of the year.
  • Sorry about the misiniformation about the monorail from Sea Tac to Seattle. It's not available tillend of the year.
    No big deal. See you tomorrow!
  • Geez. Isn't that crazy? PAX is in 2 days! Can't wait to meet up with you all.

Is there a list somewhere of EVERYONE who is attending?
  • edited September 2009
    Not really. So far from what I know of, it's Rym, Scott, Emily, & Alex from the FRC. You, myself, & MitchyD from the forums. I'm sure there will be more Geek Nights listeners attending. If anything, we'll try to find them waiting in line for the panels or asking me for buttons. =3

And yes, I'm excited. I'm not going to let today stress me out at all, hopefully and let it breeze by.

Edit: Also for those who are new to Seattle, I did make a handy dandy map for local eateries and locations around the convention center.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Ro, I can't wait to meet you! This is so exciting. I am so pumped for pax!
  • Ro, I can't wait to meet you! This is so exciting. I am so pumped for pax!
    Same here. Other than the forecast for partial showers, I have no doubt this weekend will be full of awesome.
  • So I finally posted the Geek Nights button in the Buttoneer thread, then I started to check the other threads.

There are apparently many other awesome things going on that PAX forumites are doing such as The Pre-PAX Unoffical Dinner, the always awesome Cookie Brigade meet up, and hilarious The Second Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament.

That drinking tournament sounds amazing.
  • edited September 2009
    The museum is Strong: National Museum of Play, not Fun.
    Also, play Earthbound. It's good times.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • So I finally posted the Geek Nights button in theButtoneerthread, then I started to check the other threads.
    Sweet mother'obutton THEY HAVE TWEWY BADGES!
  • Sweet mother'obutton THEY HAVE TWEWY BADGES!
    What's even better, they recently found out Whil Wheaton has 700 buttons to trade/hand out. I must obtain one, I must.
  • Strong: National Museum of Play
    I loved Strong when I was little. I went back as an adult and I was surprised at how much it still held up.
  • Strong: National Museum of Play
    I loved Strong when I was little. I went back as an adult and I was surprised at how much it still held up.
    I went there for an "AP US Conference." Which was basically an hour of teenagers acting like five year olds, and then several hours of boring lectures.
    It holds up primarily because they add things, and because they make things that are fun for all ages.
  • GeoGeo
    edited September 2009
    Well if you like Mother 2 so much Rym, play Mother 3. If you are a fan of Earthbound/Mother 2 at all, it's impossible to not like this game. Lemme tell you, it is time worth spending.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I played my first long NS games today after listening to this. Sure beats Halo 3. One of my favorite moments was an exchange that went something like this:
    Player: Alright let's beacon then rush them
    Comm: Beacon? Or whole team is in the starting room. Why should be beacon?
    Player: Because it's bad ass.
    About a minute later:
    Player: BEACON!
    Comm: WHY?
    Player: It raises morale!

Yeah, we lost pretty badly that game. :P
  • The lines to the panels were a lot longer than I expected. Since you have to line up a good 30 minutes prior to some panels, it kind of throws personal scheduling for a loop, at least for the convention virgins such as myself. I do wonder why they would put some of the panels at 10am if that's when they first open the doors. I can't imagine them starting on time.

So far I haven't seen much in the way of new and exciting gaming news, but I think maybe the days of events always bearing the major announcements are over. Everything seems to trickle out through that pesky information super highway.

Lots of girls, at least 3X more than I would have thought; but there they are, operating computers and electronics! It's a mixed up crazy world. As for the booth babes, I'm a bit disappointed. Surely they can come up with skimpier costumes. And let's not be sexist here; we could have greased up some beefcakes in loin clothes wielding battle-axes, their bodies ever erect as their musky sweat glistens over taut musculat-- um, more cleavage too.

My only other major impression is that Anthony Burch is destined for enormous success in the entertainment industry. He's the real deal.
  • Man, I would have gone to PAX if I knew I could get TWEWY badges. Too bad I'm a poor punk kid on the east coast.

Anyway, I'm glad that Scott mentioned Warsow. I'd played a few bot matches a year ago and forgot about it. Then I started playing this morning, as Scott had recommended to sad bastards that missed out on PAX. I've been playing all day, having a fantastic time doing so. Basically, the moral of the story is to go play Warsow.
  • edited September 2009

Lots of girls, at least 3X more than I would have thought; but there they are, operating computers and electronics! It's a mixed up crazy world. As for the booth babes, I'm a bit disappointed. Surely they can come up with skimpier costumes. And let's not be sexist here; we could have greased up some beefcakes in loin clothes wielding battle-axes, their bodies ever erect as their musky sweat glistens over taut musculat-- um, more cleavage too.
    Ummm. "Woah! Girls can work computers and play games! I am amazed!"
    ...You suck.
    Plus you lie, I saw some schoolgirl booth-babes who were pretty typical booth-babe hot.

Edit: Plus, gamer girls tend to like the Sephiroth look more than beefcake dudes. Or if they go rugged, somebody more like Solid Snake. I personally think guys like Gordon Freeman are much better looking than, say, Kratos.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Ummm. "Woah! Girls can work computers and play games! I am amazed!"
    ...You suck.
    It's more the fact that so many do work computers and play games, especially to the point that they would attend a con. I don't think it's sexist to say that a significant number of womenfolk getting so involved with video games is a fairly recent development.
  • Hey, most of my female friends in elementary school owned had NES systems, and my sister was super into PC gaming during high school middle school. I guess I never really saw it as odd. But yeah, I see your point. "Gamer girls" are more rare than guys in the hardcore gaming community, and don't get me started on the job stats for the industry.