This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Imma Baking A Game! (That ain't supposed to be a typo)

edited September 2009 in Video Games
After hearing the news of the ImmUnity game protype competition, I've decided to enter it with this game idea I've been percolating in my head for quite some time. It involves giant robots. The problem is that I don't know the first thing about 3d modeling, so I would appreciate some help.

The basic idea is that you're a robot in a large city, and you have to fight monsters. The interface is mouse driven and a bit like X-Com: you have a gauge that powers your boosters and your attacks: everything you do apart from walking consumes part of the gauge. When it runs out your robot can't do anything but move for a 5 second period while the gauge refills, but the gauge can also refill any time you don't attack of boost for 5-seconds.

The editor looks easy to learn and stuff, but I think I might need help with the modeling. Anybody here can do 3D modeling?

Comments

• After hearing the news of the ImmUnity game protype competition, I've decided to enter it with this game idea I've been percolating in my head for quite some time. It involves giant robots. The problem is that I don't know the first thing about 3d modeling, so I would appreciate some help.

The basic idea is that you're a robot in a large city, and you have to fight monsters. The interface is mouse driven and a bit like X-Com: you have a gauge that powers your boosters and your attacks: everything you do apart from walking consumes part of the gauge. When it runs out your robot can't do anything but move for a 5 second period while the gauge refills, but the gauge can also refill any time you don't attack of boost for 5-seconds.

The editor looks easy to learn and stuff, but I think I might need help with the modeling. Anybody here can do 3D modeling?
    Emily can, so ask her.
  • Um, seeing as this contest is basically being run by my company, It would be a helluva conflict of interest for me to do art for you. However, I can point you in the direction of some artists.

Try:

3dmd.net
    renderosity.com
    deviantart.com

get on Collab boards and tell artists about the contest. Once people understand that this has a chance of being a paid job (say, make an agreement for 1,000 if you win, sign a contract and all that.) they are very likely to lend their skills. These boards are fairly n00b friendly, and you should post there.
  • edited September 2009
    Nycgameindustry.com is another site you can try. It has quite a few artists (from the Tri-State area mostly however,) many of which are students or trying to get into the game industry, so they'll be just as motivated to get a project done (especially if there's a chance of winning some money.)

Also 3dtotal.com has some forums you can check out, and quite an active community.
    Post edited by ColombianShadow on
  • OK, I'm asking about on the Unity forums, and I'm looking into ColombianShadow's two links as well. Anything else?
  • For your first prototype, don't worry about art. Make a robot in Unity with the absolute minimal number of stretched-out cubes.

I've found this to be true for game dev generally, but it's especially true for the Immunity contest, because the contest is not about a finished game. We're more interested in gameplay, controls, and core mechanics. If you win, the prize money and assistance are there to help you finish the parts of the game that are outside your area of expertise.
  • Well, the problem is that I don't know the first thing about modelling or animating in 3D, especially in Unity. And I fear that if I have to learn, it'll already be too late and the final date for submissions would've passed before I even get the chance...