This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Nexus War is ending

edited September 2009 in Video Games
So I doubt anyone on this forum played or has even heard of Nexus War, but it is a rather in depth, free to play browser MMORPG. It's creator was a player of Urban Dead and the game, at least initially, shared much in common with that game as well as sharing the fanbase which later almost exclusively migrated to Nexus War. The core concept of the game is that our world has ended, and souls from across time are being summoned to determine who will be the dominant deity in the next world. A very fun game that I have been playing, on and off, since 2006.

The reason I bring it up now, is that the cost has finally outstripped what the creator is willing to pay for and he has decided to end the game decisively around the end of the month, probably with the conclusion of the titular war and the announcer of the "winning" faction, promising much action in the meantime. There are talks over possibly migrating the game to other hosting but it would probably come after the end if at all. I thought this was interesting because it is the only time I've heard of any MMO having a decisive endpoint as opposed to just going offline or dieing out from lack of players.

So anyways, any old players sad to see it end?

Comments

• I am suspicious of this, as you're claiming that it's fun, free, AND an MMO.
  • edited September 2009
    It had a AP limit which limited playtime pretty significantly if that makes it easier to believe. But it most definitely was all of those things.
    Post edited by WaterInThere on
  • I stopped playing Urban Dead for having no ending or actual progression. How many times can you defend (or overthrow) mall X?
    But here you have a game that actually does something close to what those games should be about. Very nice, even if it's due to financial issues.
  • The problem I had with Nexus War was that it was far too complex for me to be bothered with investing my time in with. I was there when it first started to get off the ground with some of the Urban Dead lot but gave up after a few months because unlike UD it took up more than 10mins of my day, which I could spend playing a proper game.
    I just couldn't be bothered with trying to work out how I should level up my character to get the type of dude I/the faction wanted.
    I did miss that dam cute Otter though.
  • I am suspicious of this, as you're claiming that it's fun, free, AND an MMO.
    If it's anything like Urban Dead, it's just KoL with a new skin.
  • Nexus War is ending
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! TT_TT

Oh god, your mentioning of NW brings back memories, good ones. Great community, fun people. If only I had not needed to drop if due to time restraints.
    I stopped playing Urban Dead for having no ending or actual progression. How many times can you defend (or overthrow) mall X?
    Caigar Marhr! The first fall, Zombocalypse! Bringing Barhah to the Caigar marhr harmanz. Mark 5:9, we are legion. The game ended that day. Personal claim to fame: RANSACKING THE ENTIRE EAST SIDE OF THE MALL THAT DAY! BARHAH!
    I am suspicious of this, as you're claiming that it's fun, free, AND an MMO.
    Shoo yer smallminded thinking. UD, NW, Shartak, all those games take at most half an hour a day to play and they live on community, unlike all those fancy looking MMO's you're thinking off.
    I just couldn't be bothered with trying to work out how I should level up my character to get the type of dude I/the faction wanted.
    Dude, tell me about it. Designing characters was fun, but yeah, my first two characters weren't that well thought out, resulting in a sword wielding Advocate, joy!

 * tries to log in.

• Caigar Marhr! The first fall, Zombocalypse! Bringing Barhah to the Caigar marhr harmanz. Mark 5:9, we are legion. The game ended that day. Personal claim to fame: RANSACKING THE ENTIRE EAST SIDE OF THE MALL THAT DAY! BARHAH!
    Mark 5:9 that was awesome! The game ended for me the day that the Caigar fell, it just felt so cheap that a group of zergers had brought it to it's knees instead of the mighty Mall Tour 06. Although I have recently started playing again, just the one zombie, so it takes up about 10 mins of each day, if that. Not the same though now, the community around the Mall Tour and then Mark 5:9 was awesome, and until Simply Syndicated forums came along, the friendliest place I have ever experienced on the net.
  • they live on community, unlike all those fancy looking MMO's you're thinking off.
    exactly! the great part about Urban Dead was the way the community role played, and were just great people.
    But eventually, your actions as a player are completely meaningless. You might as well just hang in the forums.

can anyone recommend a good browser game? exclude MMORPGs.