This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090922 - Dominion

Comments

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/apreche/sets/72157623959448945/
    Hey Scott, how did you get the Dominion labels for your card dividers?
  • http://www.flickr.com/photos/apreche/sets/72157623959448945/
    Hey Scott, how did you get the Dominion labels for your card dividers?
    I took the long cards that label the slots in the original Dominion box and combined them with scissors and tape.
  • I took the long cards that label the slots in the original Dominion box and combined them with scissors and tape.
    I wonder if we still have those. If not, I'm pretty sure BGG has labels. I can print them out on sticker paper or just print on paper and tape.
  • Well we found card dividers and used a sticker paper to make the labels. We have successfully re-boxed our Dominion set.

• If this is a diplomatic board game, where are the ambassadors?!
  • edited July 2011
    So, to dust off this thread a bit, my friend bought a game similar to Dominion called Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer. It's pretty fun, and very new (just published this year). Rather than picking out ten cards to play with, cards are drawn randomly from a deck of all the cards in the set. You can buy heroes and constructs, much like in Dominion, but you can also defeat monsters, which give you victory points and other cool effects. Being designed by the guy who made Magic: The Gathering, the art and play style feel a lot more "Magic-y" than Dominion, but it still has the "buy the box, get all the cards needed to play" part of Dominion.
    Ascension has been released on iOS! Its amazing on the iPad and I assume at least playable on the smaller form devices as well.

Since it's based on a physical card game I would really like to hear Scrym's opinion of it.

I have played a LOT of dominion + the two immediate expansions. I straight up think that Ascension is a better game. The main reason is because each game has a constantly changing pool of cards that you can "buy". Unlike Dominon that has 10 cards from the start, Ascension has 6 cards (+3) available as a shared card pool and if a player purchases one of those cards, or banishes it, or defeats it, guess what, its GONE. And it's replaced with a new card.

Sometimes in Dominion you look at the starting 10 and you just know what you will do every round, with a tiny variance based on how fast other people acquire your cards. Ascension solves this problem (if you can call it a problem) so simply.

I guess just imagine playing Dominion with ALL the cards shuffled together, dish out the top 6 and you can purchase any one of those cards. When you do, it gets replaced.

Having a blast with my friends online with it, very tempted to get a physical copy for local play.

It's cheap too.

Anyone else love this game?
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • Christmas shopping for myself and some younger cousins. Two boys, 10 and 12 years old. I was pondering if they would be old enough for a copy of Dominion? I was thinking that it might be wise to address the gift to their dad, to avoid both "sharing" issues and maybe give them a little more reason to take care of it.

For myself, I was pondering what would be a good starter right now. Just the base set? I've heard that some of the other sets are stand-alone. Or maybe one of the other similar games? Especially since I already have two friends with copies of Dominion.
  • Being that young they may enjoy Quarriors! more. It's Dominion with dice.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/91536/quarriors
  • For myself, I was pondering what would be a good starter right now. Just the base set? I've heard that some of the other sets are stand-alone. Or maybe one of the other similar games? Especially since I already have two friends with copies of Dominion.
    Intrigue is the only other stand alone. The rest require the base set.

Dominion Big Box is base with Alchemy and Prosperity with Black Market and Envoy promo cards. However, it's currently sold out on Amazon. I definitely promote those two expansions.

For that age, they may like Forbidden Island. It's co-operative and from the creator of Pandemic. You can get other map set up diagrams on BGG.
  • I straight up think that Ascension is a better game.
    I disagree in that there are relatively few meaningful decisions to be made in Ascension. It's fun, bit it's much lighter than Dominion and a bit more random.

Don't get me wrong: I likeAscension. But I think it's a little too random and shallow for my tastes.
  • Owning more than enough deck building type games, here is my order of like to loathe.

Dominion > Penny Arcade Gamers vs. Evil > Puzzle Strike/Nightfall/Ascension > Thunderstone

I don't care for Tanto Cuore, so I don't count it. We have the original Thunderstone and not the new and improved version, and we don't plan on buying it again. It's just there now.
  • Being that young they may enjoy Quarriors! more. It's Dominion with dice.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/91536/quarriors
    Nice suggestion. That might work.
    For myself, I was pondering what would be a good starter right now. Just the base set? I've heard that some of the other sets are stand-alone. Or maybe one of the other similar games? Especially since I already have two friends with copies of Dominion.
    Intrigue is the only other stand alone. The rest require the base set.

Dominion Big Box is base with Alchemy and Prosperity with Black Market and Envoy promo cards. However, it's currently sold out on Amazon. I definitely promote those two expansions.

For that age, they may like Forbidden Island. It's co-operative and from the creator of Pandemic. You can get other map set up diagrams on BGG.
    Looks like Forbidden Island is highly rated. I don't think I'm ready to go $100 into a single board game at the moment. For myself, do you think it would be better to get Dominion, Intrigue, or Ascension? I'm thinking getting a game my friends don't have would be more interesting somewhat...
  • I like Tanto Cuore, but I don't know if it will go over so well with 10 year olds who are too shallow to look past its maid theme.
  • edited October 2011
    Looks like Forbidden Island is highly rated. I don't think I'm ready to go $100 into a single board game at the moment. For myself, do you think it would be better to get Dominion, Intrigue, or Ascension? I'm thinking getting a game my friends don't have would be more interesting somewhat...
    If you guys like Penny Arcade and read the comics, I highly recommend that over Ascension just for the name of the cards. The game overall is very well done. The boxing/packaging is absolute shit.

Ascension is good and if you already play enough Dominion with your friends, the base set would be fine. It's faster than Dominion in a way. You can always get victory points every turn and I do enjoy some of the card type bonuses.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I like Tanto Cuore, but I don't know if it will go over so well with 10 year olds who are too shallow to look past its maid theme.
    Isn't the whole point the Maid theme?
    Isn't the whole point the Maid theme?
    No, it's a good game without the maids.
  • So this Penny-Arcade game doesn't come out till later this month. That might be the ticket for me personally.
  • edited October 2011
    So this Penny-Arcade game doesn't come out till later this month. That might be the ticket for me personally.
    Yeah, I didn't know it wasn't officially released yet since I got it at PAX. It sold out there. For purchasing the game at PAX, we also received the Fruit Fucker boss pack.

My group of friends always play that game whenever we hang out. I still laugh at the cards. You will get a kick out of the characters you can choose and their respective bonuses. Hint: Go for Jim Darkmagic or Annarchy.

If you do get it, I may have an extra Younglings promo that came out in the PAX swag bags.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • So I don't know if I really mentioned it here or not, but I did finally pick up Dominion a little while back and really enjoyed playing through the base box. For those in the know, which expansions do you recommend? I'm already looking at probably getting Intrigue and Prosperity, but any others?
  • So apparently the Local Game Store wasn't planning to carry this Penny Arcade game, but they've added it now to their next order.
  • So I don't know if I really mentioned it here or not, but I did finally pick up Dominion a little while back and really enjoyed playing through the base box. For those in the know, which expansions do you recommend? I'm already looking at probably getting Intrigue and Prosperity, but any others?
    Alchemy or Cornucopia. Winterspring should be coming out pretty soon. You don't need Intrigue unless you want the extra base set to cater up to 6 players.
  • edited October 2011
    I wonder on which expansion to get. I had the base set of Dominion for a few months now. (Answered while I was typing! YAY!)

Also, did anyone try Acension's expansion? It adds to the random factor I know some of you might not like by having fate involved. Fate is an effect that happens when its place on the center row.

I'm gonna see if our game shop will have that new Penny Arcade game. I'm way about that after reading about it!
    Post edited by Viga on
  • I'm only speaking for myself, but for most part all the expansions are pretty good. Seaside is my least favorite. I recommend you check out the cards of each set on BGG to see if you prefer certain Kingdom cards over others.

I like a good amount of the Alchemy cards and haven't played a lot with Cornucopia. Prosperity adds higher value money and victory cards along some pretty cool Kingdom cards. It really is a toss up at times.
  • image about Assencion vs. Dominion
    I'm reasonably sure Will and I have solved the game. Not 100% sure, but reasonably sure. We'd have to play against someone else who knows the game and has been playing to win to be sure. Between the two of us, though, Will I think has the edge.
  • image about Assencion vs. Dominion
    I'm reasonably sure Will and I have solved the game. Not 100% sure, but reasonably sure. We'd have to play against someone else who knows the game and has been playing to win to be sure. Between the two of us, though, Will I think has the edge.
    Next con between us three?
  • Magfest?
  • Neito, how much would I have to pay you to smuggle me down there?
  • Magfest?
    On! Oh wait going to Magfest? Need an extra in your room? (begging)