This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090922 - Dominion

Comments

• How about trading cards between your hand and another person's hand (but it now enters their deck in their discard pile)? ;^)
    Who would trade? Hey, I'll trade you these three estates for one copper right now!
  • As much as I despise Thunderstone, the new version of it added a rule which may work here. Drew a crappy hand? Do nothing this turn except put the few good cards from this hand back on your deck and discard the bad ones. If it needs to be amped up a bit more in this case, have it be setting the cards aside and adding them to a new full hand next turn. Then you'll have a superturn to make up for your awful draw.

I think the ultimate solution here is to not be playing a deckbuilding game though.
  • That's not a bad idea. If you have a do-nothing turn, then you can at least game one minor consolation prize from it. Then again, that's sort of what tactician does, so it has to be way less powerful than that.
  • edited July 2012
    I wish there was some way to eliminate luck in Dominion
    Sure there is - play an infinite number of games.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited July 2012
    I just played a game five minutes ago. Oh, hello familiar! I buy potion. Other guy buys potion. I buy scheme, other guy buys silver. I draw 1 potion, one copper, and three estates. Other guy draws enough to buy a familiar. We both were equally smart and had very similar strategies. I was completely crushed score-wise because of that one draw on that one turn. It ended up being a score of 30+ to my 6. I even got a bunch of upgrades and tried to get rid of the curses, but even with 4 or 5 upgrades there were turns when I drew 3 curses and no upgrades, and other turns where I drew all upgrades with no curses.
    Link?
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I just played a game five minutes ago. Oh, hello familiar! I buy potion. Other guy buys potion. I buy scheme, other guy buys silver. I draw 1 potion, one copper, and three estates. Other guy draws enough to buy a familiar. We both were equally smart and had very similar strategies. I was completely crushed score-wise because of that one draw on that one turn. It ended up being a score of 30+ to my 6. I even got a bunch of upgrades and tried to get rid of the curses, but even with 4 or 5 upgrades there were turns when I drew 3 curses and no upgrades, and other turns where I drew all upgrades with no curses.
    Link?
    How do you find the link if you didn't save it when the game ended?
  • I just played a game five minutes ago. Oh, hello familiar! I buy potion. Other guy buys potion. I buy scheme, other guy buys silver. I draw 1 potion, one copper, and three estates. Other guy draws enough to buy a familiar. We both were equally smart and had very similar strategies. I was completely crushed score-wise because of that one draw on that one turn. It ended up being a score of 30+ to my 6. I even got a bunch of upgrades and tried to get rid of the curses, but even with 4 or 5 upgrades there were turns when I drew 3 curses and no upgrades, and other turns where I drew all upgrades with no curses.
    Link?
    How do you find the link if you didn't save it when the game ended?
    I guess you have to wait for it to appear on CouncilRoom then.
  • edited July 2012
    What the base cards look like.

I like the new art.

Edit: Also just got my beta invite for Dominion Online. :3
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I like how they fixed the problem of making the treasures different colors but then created a whole new problem of no longer having the value be printed large and obvious in the center of the card :x
  • Everyone got beta invite for Dominion Online. It has some issues.
  • I like how they fixed the problem of making the treasures different colors but then created a whole new problem of no longer having the value be printed large and obvious in the center of the card :x
    It's not that bad. You will easily get used to the values. Plus it helps deter from those types of players that don't like to show the cards they are playing or are quick to play trying to cheat.
    Not yet :(

Not yet :(

Indeed

• I didn't get a beta invite. I am the unluckiest man alive, most seconds.
  • edited July 2012
    So, I was Googling around and someone found that there are a bunch of officially licensed Japanese anime re-themes of Dominion. It's the same game, of course, but the cards are kind of funny with different art.

^("Harem" lol)^

It also seems like there might be a Madoka set...!? I can't read Japanese to find out, though.

[Edit] OMG

Post edited by Sail on
  • edited July 2012
    [Steins;Gate Dominion harem card]
    ^("Harem" lol)^
    SPOILERS: Middle one: "OTOKO DA".
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • There is also "maid Dominion" aka Tanto Cuore which is in English. It's not official Dominion, but similar to it.

I've never played it, but my friends own it.
  • Tanto Cuore is not a straight-up Dominion clone. It's got enough difference to put it in the larger pool of deckbuilding games inspired by Dominion. Doesn't make it a good game though unfortunately.
  • Oh, fuck. I don't even have Hinterlands, yet, and there's already another new one? Been playing the fuck out of this game again, though, so I might have to get them.
  • Yeah. I barely know any of the cards in Cornucopia or Hinterlands. I need to play more of this game before getting the final expansion.
  • I got the big box when it was on sale at Tanga but had no one to play with....might rebox it to make it more portable.
  • Bring it to game night Coldguy Dominion is a good warm up game for us to play.
  • Bring it to game night Coldguy Dominion is a good warm up game for us to play.
    I did and no one played it the last time :P

I will lug it with me in the future.
  • that's because you also brought the vastly inferior DC Deck building game :-p
  • edited June 2013
    that's because you also brought the vastly inferior DC Deck building game :-p
    Touche good sir...and that fills the Ascension Card game quota for the collection :P
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • Reading through this thread, I figured you might appreciate this: (x-posted from isotropic thread)
    Wandering winder, one of the top 8 Isotropic players, is posting a series on deck types. Read it, and play online with meeee!

http://dominionstrategy.com/2013/01/21/the-five-fundamental-deck-types-introduction/
    Sadly, isotropic is no more and I haven't gotten my dominion fix in ages. My favorite expansions are seaside and prosperity. Dark ages is definitely interesting but I haven't really dug into its strategic aspects. I don't own hinterlands because it's kind of meh.
    Alchemy has a lot of very good cards, but buying that initial potion instead of a silver can really slow down your deck -- need a really good reason to buy it. Regarding the potion luck draw, I forget whether buying two silver and then potion is statistically better than silver potion. Sometimes the ideal play is not to mirror your opponent, but adapt to them. Otherwise, it is versus solitaire with luck.

What are your opinions on 2 player gameplay versus 3 player? I think this game is the exact opposite of most games, which are meant for 3+ players and allow a stunted 2p game. I find 2p games to be more invigorating and encouraging of more strategic gameplay. 3+players too often result in slower games (even with fast players) and boring big money or pile driving strategy (which initially will outpace engines. Plus, kingdom decks run out more quickly with more players).

Thing is, at this point, if I'm going to play a 2p card game, I'm going to play Netrunner. Unless goko magically improved gameplay, interface, security, and pricing (if I buy the real cards, I should get a discount!) while I was away..
  • If only OCTGN didn't suck ass we could play Netrunner all day.
  • Doesn't it cost money now as well?
  • Doesn't it cost money now as well?
    They'd have to pay me to use it, so it doesn't matter.