This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Testicular Cancer From iPhone 3G

Comments

• I think that the only phrase that can accurately describe the current state of weather in southern California is "3 year drought".
    I think "wild fires" would also do.
  • All the contradicting studies being presented in this thread are from the 90's or the early 00's.
    You didn't read the article I posted, did you?
  • able to have a study done
    quickly and cheaply.
    Here's the problem: These are contradictory. Studies not backed by huge sums of grant money are more likely to be flawed or ineffective. A study on the effects of EM fields on the human body would have to take place over decades. It's an impossibility to do such a study quickly and cheaply.

Furthermore, as we have said earlier, the microwave radiation your cell phone operates on is non-ionizing. It doesn't damage DNA, period. Maybe if you stood at the maximum distance from the nearest cell tower and had a year-long conversation on speakerphone while holding the antenna up to your eyes, you'd get some corneal scarring, but that's caused by something completely different. And as far as long-term exposure to high-powered EM fields goes, we do have examples:
    A variety of studies over the past 50 years have been done on workers exposed to high RF radiation levels; studies including radar laboratory workers, military radar workers, electrical workers, and amateur radio operators. Most of these studies found no increase in cancer rates over the general population or a control group. Many positive results could have been attributed to other work environment conditions, and many negative results of reduced cancer rates also occurred.
    I'm fairly sure than no candybar cell phone on this green Earth generates as much microwave radiation as the six-foot-tall Toshiba floating drift klystrons that these fine gentlemen work with.

• All the contradicting studies being presented in this thread are from the 90's or the early 00's.
    You didn't read the article I posted, did you?
    I don't care about regular cell phones at this point. I'm talking about a study regarding just smart phones, because they're the phones with the highest radiation, and they're ones that are constantly performing RF requiring tasks in the background. No such study exists.

Duh, of course there isn't going to be any conclusive evidence of anything if you use all kinds of phones. They all have varying degrees of radiation. We need a study that narrows it down to a certain type of phone.
  • I'm talking about a study regarding just smart phones, because they're the phones with the highest radiation, and they're ones that are constantly performing RF requiring tasks in the background. No such study exists.
    Wrong. According to your engadget link, the phone with the highest SAR is this puppy, which is definitely not a smartphone. And I'd also say that the studies of RF Lab workers count as conclusive, considering those klystron tubes produce hundreds of GHz of microwave energy while they're running, against several hundred megahertz of microwave energy coming from a cell phone. You're dealing with orders of magnitude more energy there.

To conclude:

• And I'd also say that the studies of RF Lab workers count as conclusive, considering those klystron tubes produce hundreds of GHz of microwave energy while they're running, against several hundred megahertz of microwave energy coming from a cell phone.
    The microwave band is entirely in the GHz frequenecy range. The frequency is not what we're talking about here (though it is important,) but rather the amplitude of signal produced at the carrier frequency. Or more simply the watts of energy behind the signal. However, high energy phones really only have the power to burn you. That's why you see eggs being cooked by cell phones. It's not cancer causing, it's just heat. Your body has the ability to disperse and radiate heat, the egg does not.
  • And I'd also say that the studies of RF Lab workers count as conclusive, considering those klystron tubes produce hundreds of GHz of microwave energy while they're running, against several hundred megahertz of microwave energy coming from a cell phone.
    The microwave band is entirely in the GHz frequenecy range.The frequency is not what we're talking about here (though it is important,) but rather the amplitude of signal produced at the carrier frequency. Or more simply the watts of energy behind the signal. However, high energy phones really only have the power to burn you. That's why you see eggs being cooked by cell phones. It's not cancer causing, it's just heat. Your body has the ability to disperse and radiate heat, the egg does not.
    Fair enough, though those klystrons are still used as RF amplifiers for carrier waves and various radar and particle acceleration purposes, so they still carry the same risks. However, here you're dealing with tubes that amplify signals so that said waves can reach satellites, or store the energy of a particle beam, and not a small brick communcating with a nearby base station. If I could get the SAR on that huge Toshiba motherfucker, I totally would.
  • edited September 2009
    Yeah, I really didn't mean to detract from your point. Since we're striving for scientific accuracy I felt the need to chime in with, "that's not exactly how that works." Anyway, the point is microwave radiation is safe as long as it doesn't have enough energy to burn you. Don't operate your microwave oven with the door open, it's a bad plan.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Yeah, I really didn't mean to detract from your point. Since we're striving for scientific accuracy I felt the need to chime in with, "that's not exactly how that works." Anyway, the point is microwave radiation is safe as long as it doesn't have enough energy to burn you. Don't operate your microwave oven with the door open, it's a bad plan.
    Bingo.
    The Swedish study you linked us to was conducted between 1997 and 2000.
    I don't care about regular cell phones at this point. I'm talking about a study regarding just smart phones, because they're the phones with the highest radiation, and they're ones that are constantly performing RF requiring tasks in the background. No such study exists.
    Only because you chose to do so. I use two smart-phones every day, and neither of them do this, because I've told them not to.
    Don't operate your microwave oven with the door open, it's a bad plan.
    Do not disassemble your microwave to make a Microwave death ray, It's also a bad plan.
  • Do not disassemble your microwave to make a Microwave death ray, It's also a bad plan.
    That's sounds like a really good plan to me.
  • This post had me looking up the SAR of my phone, and the Samsung Eternity once again proves itself to be a good investment with a .194 SAR.

• That's sounds like a really good plan to me.
    Nah, the cyclotron is too low powered for sufficient range.
  • This post had me looking up the SAR of my phone, and the Samsung Eternity once again proves itself to be a good investment with a .194 SAR.
    Yes, should be fairly energy efficient that phone.

That's sounds like a really good plan to me.
    Nah, the cyclotron is too low powered for sufficient range.
    Nothing a little focusing couldn't fix. ~_^
  • Nothing a little focusing couldn't fix. ~_^
    Parabolic dish is where it's at.
  • I love how we've gone from "cell phones don't cause cancer" to "what's the best way to make a deadly heat ray." ^_^
  • I love how we've gone from "cell phones don't cause cancer" to "what's the best way to make a deadly heat ray." ^_^
    Mythbusters made a supermicrowave once. Ripping 4 microwaves to shreds and then reassemgling the good parts. The result was... rather spectacular (I wish).
  • I bet you could take a few microwave oven cavity magnetrons, stack them, stick them in a metallic tube ala a cantenna, and then use a flyback transformer to drive them at high voltage to get something akin to the Active Denial System. Use an Arduino board inside RF shielding for pulse width modulation, and mount the entire thing on some sort of carbine stock. Run it off of lead-acid batteries in a waist pouch/backpack, like Kaneda's laser.

It'd be like something out of Fallout 3.
  • I bet you could take a few microwave oven cavity magnetrons, stack them, stick them in a metallic tube ala a cantenna, and then use a flyback transformer to drive them at high voltage to get something akin to theActive Denial System.Use an Arduino board inside RF shielding for pulse width modulation, and mount the entire thing on some sort of carbine stock. Run it off of lead-acid batteries in a waist pouch/backpack, like Kaneda's laser.
    That idea is awesome, and I shall investigate it immediately.
  • I bet you could take a few microwave oven cavity magnetrons, stack them, stick them in a metallic tube ala a cantenna, and then use a flyback transformer to drive them at high voltage to get something akin to theActive Denial System.Use an Arduino board inside RF shielding for pulse width modulation, and mount the entire thing on some sort of carbine stock. Run it off of lead-acid batteries in a waist pouch/backpack, like Kaneda's laser.
    That idea is awesome, and I shall investigate it immediately.
    1) I assume no responsibility. My words are just stupid conjecture.
    2) If you were going to actually investigate, I'd would recommend getting some microwave-protective glasses, as MW will cook your corneas into cataracts and blind you. But you're not going to build a handheld ADS, so it's all good.
  • Instead of microwaves, why not build your own X-ray machine
    From the article:
    Finally, resist the temptation to make X-ray examinations of the bones in your hands or other body parts.
    If this weren't such an old find of mine, I'd put it up in the ToYD thread.
  • Instead of microwaves, why not build your ownX-ray machine
    I dunno, an X-ray death beam just doesn't appeal to me as much as a microwave death beam.
  • Instead of microwaves, why not build your ownX-ray machine
    I dunno, an X-ray death beam just doesn't appeal to me as much as a microwave death beam.
    I'd say it probably has something to do with the fact that microwaves will cook a person alive. X-rays just give you cancer, no biggie ;P
  • I'd say it probably has something to do with the fact that microwaves will cook a person alive. X-rays just give you cancer, no biggie ;P
    True, it's far harder to treat being boiled to death from the inside than most cancers.
  • True, it's far harder to treat being boiled to death from the inside than most cancers.
    But microwaves work from the outside, not the inside.
  • But microwaves work from the outside, not the inside.
    I know, but I prefer my version, it's a much more horrific mental image.
  • edited September 2009
    Instead of microwaves, why not build your ownX-ray machine
    Can you still find vaccuum tubes treated like that anymore? I didn't think you could.
    I know, but I prefer my version, it's a much more horrific mental image.
    Protip: To save oneself from exploding like a hotdog when exposed to the Churbeam, be sure to poke holes in your skin with a fork before being microwaved. Aim for areas rich in fat and muscle, but lean in blood vessels, like the buttocks!
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • WindUpBird sure you can: http://thetubestore.com/
    I'd say it probably has something to do with the fact that microwaves will cook a person alive. X-rays just give you cancer, no biggie ;P
    You can cook a person with x-rays too :) http://www.asu.edu/radiationsafety/x-ray/appn_A.html
  • WindUpBird sure you can:http://thetubestore.com/
    Oh, I knew they still sold vacuum tubes (I dabble in audiophilia), but the tube needed for that particular x-ray device requires a special coating, and I'm not sure if you can find tubes with it anymore.
  • Well, yes, any electromagnetic wave can potentially cook a person. It's just a matter of intensity. I'd still go with microwaves since they're easier and cheaper to produce.