This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How to add an HDMI output to my PC?

2»

Comments

• I'm using a HDMI to DVI adapter on my PC and it works great. I love having my TV as my monitor on my gaming PC.
    Thanks for not answering my question at all.
    When has this forum has concerns about tangents?
    When it's Scott's question, because Scott is serious business. ~_^
  • Sorry about that. Could you use DVI splitter? This would probably work if you don't want to use the TV and the monitors at the same time. The splitter could go between the TV and one of the monitors. Just an idea.
  • Sorry about that. Could you use DVI splitter? This would probably work if you don't want to use the TV and the monitors at the same time. The splitter could go between the TV and one of the monitors. Just an idea.
    Also, I definitely do NOT want to clone the output. I want to be able to use the computer while watching a video.
  • I think I'll go back to being a quiet observer.
  • It's all good, you just happened to pick the thread where Scott was being all surly. Oh wait, isn't that most threads? ^_~
  • That's not most threads. That's life.
  • Before today I don't think I had posted here in almost a year. It was before my daughter was born and she'll be one soon. I just have to get my brain back in forum mode.
  • Wait Wait, more importantly Scott, you bought a 360?
    Some time ago. He doesn't own any non-download games, but we're playing through Castle Crashers with speed.
    Some time ago. He doesn't own any non-download games, but we're playing through Castle Crashers with speed.
    Last time we were up for the game?
  • Last time we were up for the game?
    No, after that.
  • Would you consider getting an SLI mobo plus another cheap videocard for this process or is it out of the question?
    Either that or there are some video cards with dual DVI and Displayport available (potential for future upgrade of output quality if you set up currently with S-Video out).
  • Would you consider getting an SLI mobo plus another cheap videocard for this process or is it out of the question?
    I don't have an SLi motherboard (because SLi is stupid), so I've only got one video card slot.
  • I don't know if you've resolved this yet or not, but I have that exact card (EVGA 8800GT 512) and had this exact problem last year. Component video, I believe, only supports up to 1080i and not 1080p. The bad thing is that this card will not send video to all 3 outputs at once. I have a dual monitor setup and proceeded to connect my TV to my card via the HDTV out port. I was not able to find a way to output to all 3 at the same time; it was either to both DVIs or to one DVI and the HDTV port. I haven't tried recently but new drivers might allow this.

My current solution is streaming video from my PC over ethernet to my Playstation 3. You mentioned you have an Xbox 360 and I know there's a similar streaming solution available. Do you only need the TV to play video or do you need it to do more than that, such as browsing the internet, etc?

If you still have yet to purchase a TV, I know the new '09 Samsung models (the "B" line) support divx, xvid, h.264, and mpeg4 in all the major video containers including .avi and .mkv via the USB2.0 port (also supports music and picture viewing). You can also stream directly to the TV with its ethernet port. I can't remember if these features are exclusive to the higher end lines or not (maybe the 6 or 7 series and up).

If these solutions aren't for you, then I don't see any other way of doing it other than buying some new hardware for your computer. Either a graphics card that has 2 DVI outputs plus 1 HDMI (there are a few out there) or some roundabout way like the USB option (something like this EVGA UV Plus thing).
  • I think I'm probably just going to fall back on the Mac mini option. It costs a bunch, but it does everything. Also, Boxee and Front Row have really good user interfaces if you are using the apple remote from across the room. Trying to use Windows from far away, even with media center, not as good.
  • I think I'm probably just going to fall back on the Mac mini option. It costs a bunch, but it doeseverything. Also, Boxee and Front Row have really good user interfaces if you are using the apple remote from across the room. Trying to use Windows from far away, even with media center, not as good.
    You could buy a ps3. There may not be a lot of games that you want for it, but it is only $300 and you can install linux on it without any modifications. Just put Boxee on there and you have a pretty nice media player, even if you never buy a game for it.
  • You could buy a ps3. There may not be a lot of games that you want for it, but it is only $300 and you can install linux on it without any modifications.
    The PS3 lacks a great deal of the functionality that a Mac Mini has, and isn't cheaper enough to warrant being a replacement. The Mini is also a print server, among other things. It's also tiny and completely silent.
  • edited October 2009
    The Mini is also a print server, among other things. It's also tiny and completely silent.
    There are many small PCs on the market now that don't have the Mini's absurd Apple price tag. Just a general FYI.

EDIT: Like this tiny little acer.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • There are many small PCs on the market now that don't have the Mini's absurd Apple price tag.
    Unless they've changed immensely, they're not as utterly silent as the Mac Mini. Is there a PC out there as small and silent as the Mac Mini with a fully functional HDMI port, integrated Bluetooth, integrated WiFi, and remote control?
  • Unless they've changed immensely, they're not as utterly silent as the Mac Mini. Is there a PC out there as small and silent as the Mac Mini with a fully functional HDMI port, integrated Bluetooth, integrated WiFi, and remote control?
    Not so sure about the remote control, but it checks the rest of the boxes.
  • EDIT:Like this tiny little acer.
    I don't see Bluetooth or 802.11b/g/n in the specs. It's also quite large, and I see no indication that it is quiet.
  • I don't see Bluetooth or 802.11b/g/n in the specs. It's also quite large, and I see no indication that it is quiet.
    I'm trying to find the ones my work bought, they had wifi and bluetooth. As for large, yes it's a bit bigger than a Mini, but it's also half the price. And the ones I've worked with were silent as far as I could tell.

Just saying there are more options with tiny pcs than there were when you guys bought that Mini ages ago. It's probably worth at least checking out the other options before paying the Apple tax.