This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Coffee

Comments

• Anyone done cold pressed coffee?
    I haven't tried my hand at it personally, but there are a few coffee shops that practice this arcane art. It's sublime.
  • I just looked up this. Anyone try this before? It sounds simple enough to work, but I don't have espresso grounds on hand. Definitely will pick some up soon, though.
  • I'm not a coffee drinker but Jerry from PA noted this in his SDCC talk and mentioned it in todays blog post. Enjoy.

http://www.funraniumlabs.com/the-black-blood-of-the-earth/
  • If it's actually per person, then how come Pennsylvania doesn't have more? Their huge swaths of empty forest with no people wouldn't be counting against them.
    That isn't empty, that's Pennsytucky.
    When this thread came up on the latest podcast it gave me the idea to look up one more statistic. PA is #6 in population and #24 in average income. Know what that means? Tons of broke ass people! They are not buying $4.75 lattes.

• If it's actually per person, then how come Pennsylvania doesn't have more? Their huge swaths of empty forest with no people wouldn't be counting against them.
    That isn't empty, that's Pennsytucky.
    When this thread came up on the latest podcast it gave me the idea to look up one more statistic. PA is #6 in population and #24 in average income. Know what that means? Tons of broke ass people! They are not buying $4.75 lattes.
    Like I said, Pennsytucky.
  • So does anyone know a good website to order coffee (or a good brand on Amazon). I want to get some high quality, whole bean decaf coffee. It's hard to get whole bean decaf in the store.
  • Illy by the vacuum can from Amazon, or Intelligensia by the bag or sack. Though, I doubt Intellensia has decaf.

Also, I am now at the David Lynch standard of ten cups of caffeinated coffee daily. Mugs for the Mug Throne, Beans for the Bean God.
  • I'll plug my local go-to at Counter Culture.
  • Illy by the vacuum can from Amazon, or Intelligensia by the bag or sack. Though, I doubt Intellensia has decaf.
    Surprisingly, they do.

Surprisingly, they do.

Then it's Intelligensia or GTFO. God tier coffee from the heart of Chicago. Also, if you're a java fiend, you can call them up and order 25lb sacks at wholesale price, IIRC.

• Really starting to love Chai Lattes. Mmm.
  • Not coffee.
  • edited August 2012
    Depends. If it's a Chai tea latte, with chai tea in place of the expresso, it's neither a coffee, nor a latte. If it's a chai latte made from an expresso base with steamed milk - ie, a latte - which then has added flavor from either chai tea or chai concentrate(which I frown upon the use of, but each to their own) then it most certainly is.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited August 2012
    Chai means tea. Chai tea is a redundant phrase. Now, it could be the masala spice mix which is added, where masala chai is normally the spiced tea drink westerners usually associate with the phrase "Chai tea".
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited August 2012
    Chai means tea. Chai tea is a redundant phrase. Now, it could be the masala spice mix which is added, where masala chai is normally the spiced tea drink westerners usually associate with the phrase "Chai tea".
    Thank you Andrew, but I already know - but putting it in common terms aids understanding - otherwise, I'd be describing the difference between a chai latte and a chai latte.
    After all, I'm giving an informal comment, not teaching a class. I'd have to charge for that.

What I don't know (among many things, at least) - Who came up with the redundant name "Chai tea latte" to describe something that was also not a latte, and in doing so, gave the most common name to the drink. I think we can start with "Someone at Starbucks" as a reasonable starting point, and move from there.

Point remains - depending on how it's made, it certainly can still be coffee.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I will be money there is zero coffee in aforementioned drink.
  • I refuse to make a judgement without more information.
  • My local coffee shop started roasting it's own beans recently. So goddamn good.

• Replace Scottish with Costa Rican
  • I will be money there is zero coffee in aforementioned drink.
    Can I put you in my wallet?
  • Being money would be a pain in the ass. Imagine the psychological impact. It would be even worse than that of slavery.
  • I'm a supporter of the idea that the US should get rid of this silly fiat money, and replace it with an Andrew-backed dollar.
  • edited August 2012
    I don't agree with your line of reasoning, for one major reason - chai is now also an English word, and as such it's westerners that get to decide what it means. This is basically the same issue as with the English use of the word "anime", and indeed the same issue is present for the use of the word "latte".

However, with the above point in mind it is clearly still redundant to say "chai tea", since by the English-language definition of chai it is a tea drink.
    What I don't know (among many things, at least) - Who came up with the redundant name "Chai tea latte" to describe something that was also not a latte, and in doing so, gave the most common name to the drink. I think we can start with "Someone at Starbucks" as a reasonable starting point, and move from there.
    Well, first of all, using "chai tea" as opposed to simply "chai" is less likely to cause a misunderstanding, and more meaningful to anyone unfamiliar with the word.

Side note: I use the Russian word "чай" reasonably often. I don't see much of a problem in recognizing that this is in fact a different word from the English one.

As for the use of "latte" in "chai latte" or "chai tea latte", I think it's a reasonable and justifiable language development in a greater context - the word "latte", while serving as a shorthand for the particular coffee drink, is developing towards being a reference to the specific process of adding steamed milk, often with microfroth.

The only issue with the usage of the term is that there are terms like "vanilla latte" and terms like "tea latte", which are similar in form but quite different in terms of interpretation - people don't drink brewed vanilla (I think) so the former is interpreted as the default of a caffè latte with the vanilla being an additive, while the latter is interpreted as tea with steamed milk.
    Point remains - depending on how it's made, it certainly can still be coffee.
    Not really, because chai is tea, by definition. Sure, it's possible for someone to serve you a coffee-containing drink and call it (without any further qualification) a chai latte, but I would say that that is a very uncommon occurrence. Like Andrew, I would be willing to bet on this matter.
    I refuse to make a judgement without more information.
    Refusing to make a judgement is poor judgement, especially in the context of hypothetical bets. If you're being offered even odds on a bet and you make a well-calibrated and thorough estimate that you're 75% likely to win, you should have a solid financial reason for not taking that bet.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited August 2012
    Theoretically, though, you could put "chai tea" as flavoring in a cafe au lait.

My conclusion: coffee drinkers nitpick. tea drinkers are clearly superior.
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • My conclusion: coffee drinkers nitpick. tea drinkers are clearly superior.
  • edited August 2012
    Theoretically, though, you could put "chai tea" as flavoring in a cafe au lait.
    Indeed you could, but you wouldn't call it a chai latte.
    My conclusion: coffee drinkers nitpick. tea drinkers are clearly superior.
    My conclusion: nitpickers nitpick. coffee drinkers and tea drinkers are both cool.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited August 2012
    and indeed the same issue is present for the use of the word "latte".
    Not quite - because the English definition for the word is the same, a shot of expresso with steamed milk. That has not changed, despite the misuse by larger coffee chains.

As for a Chai tea/chai latte still being a tea drink, that's not quite correct. While you're right about definitions to a point, you're ignoring the way English tends to couple words to form additional meanings - for example, Barbecue sauce is not, in fact, a cooking device, nor is Green Tea Ice-cream a hot drink or necessarily green tea in the traditional sense.

And of course, the reason I'm using two terms that are essentially very similar is to differentiate two different things with greater ease, and in a sensible fashion - a Chai Tea latte is a tea drink, and a Chai Latte is a coffee drink.

Still wish I had a samovar.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I have NEVER seen a Chai Latte with coffee and I assert that should any such drink exist, it has no business being called such.
  • This Starbucks coffee is so burnt it's repulsive. It tastes like coffee-flavored ashes. What the actual fuck. I'm used to burnt Starbucks, but this is a war crime in my mouth.
  • edited August 2012
    I went to a coffee chain in a local grocery store a couple weeks ago. Asked for a black iced coffee. Came with all kinds of grounds in it. I politely asked for a different one. The girl told me, "Oh, some people like it that way."

>_<

Is there truth to that? Are there people that basically want a mouth full of coffee dirt in their drink?
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on