This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Coffee

Comments

• A friend of mine loves themselves a London Fog, they're pretty tasty but not quite my cup of tea.
  • My coffee world has been shaken by the realization that you can get Starbucks syrups online. Stocking up on enough gingerbread to last me until they go bad in March.
  • If you want to up your game, just get some agave syrup and manually flavor above that with herbs and such.
  • Maximum points for drinking your coffee black. Pro-tip: It's better if you don't buy shit beans.
  • Uhhh, I don't drink my coffee for points. I drink it the way I like it because I like it. Screw you guys and your social currency. :P
  • Look, I have no problem with wanting to drink it the way you want. HOWEVER, I think coffee gets a bad rep mostly because the American coffee palette is accustomed to shit beans, shit roasts, and shit pulls. If you can find a nice, local coffee shop that either roasts their own or uses a nice small house roasters, I would encourage you to try it black.
  • edited December 2014
    Andrew said:

[T]he American coffee palette is accustomed to shit beans, shit roasts, and shit pulls.

True fax. There is a lot of shit coffee here. However, going with a small house roaster doesn't guarantee you'll get good coffee. You can screw up at a small batch level just as easily as the big guys. Learning what coffee notes and flavors you are inclined toward and then finding beans and roasts that match your preferences goes a lot farther than restricting your purchases to small-batch coffee.
    Andrew said:

If you can find a nice, local coffee shop that either roasts their own or uses a nice small house roasters, I would encourage you to try it black.

I have tried lots of different kinds of coffee. I don't necessarily have a problem with the flavor of black coffee. I simply prefer a creamy texture. I like a bit of sweetness, but if I have to pick only one, I'm going with the cream every time. (I also have heartburn issues, and non-creamed coffee tends to make it a lot worse.)

I also DESPISE milky, weak coffee, which is how most people seem to take it. Ugh. Maybe it's a result of having been told that Folgers and Maxwell House somehow qualify as coffee for too long.

Post edited by Nuri on
  • Andrew said:

Maximum points for drinking your coffee black. Pro-tip: It's better if you don't buy shit beans.

This is usually how I drink my coffee too.

However I am fine with getting 'creamy' coffee occasionally (usually affogato :P).

The situation is similar in Perth but when I lived in inner city Melbourne, competition between cafes was crazy, some would grow and roast their own coffee on site with specific tasting beans so you could choose which coffee bean type of coffee you wanted on top of how you wanted it served.
  • I'm open-minded to all types of coffee.
    As long as it's not made at Shitbucks, I'll drink it.
  • I drink drip/pour-over/press coffee black: no exceptions. Espresso I also take black.

But, I'm not opposed to a cappuccino. I also like blends of regular coffee and chickory (which I'll sweeten with a dab of honey) or a latte with lavender.

• I drink my coffee black, but only because I'm too lazy do add all that crap to it. Does that win me social currency? Am I doing this right?
  • I'll drink just about anything. Sometimes I feel like a flat white, sometimes I fancy a cappucino, sometimes I'd prefer a latte, sometimes I'll take it black. You rarely get drip, here, but I'll drink that sometimes.
  • The cortado is the ultimate ratio of espresso to milk.
  • Growing up in New England (where "regular" apparently qualifies as other places "Extra Extra"), the idea of black coffee is just weird to me.

Also, I'm pretty sure it's like, illegal to drink iced coffee black.
  • Neito said:

Iced coffee in particular should only ever be drunk black.

The sole exception is a complex concoction that involves chickory, milk, and honey.
  • Rym said:

Neito said:

Cold brew coffee in particular should only ever be drunk black.
  • Andrew said:

Rym said:

Neito said:

Cold brew coffee in particular should only ever be drunk black.
    Well, if you're drinking iced coffee that wasn't cold brewed, why the fuck are you even drinking iced coffee? ;^)
  • JEEZ WHAT A BUNCH OF COFFEE ELITISTS IN THIS THREAD.

Call me when you're roasting your own beans.
  • MATATAT said:

JEEZ WHAT A BUNCH OF COFFEE ELITISTS IN THIS THREAD.

Call me when you're roasting growing your own beans.

• Good call.
  • MATATAT said:

Done it. Old school popcorn maker is the best method. However, it takes too much time so I can't be bothered anymore.

• Andrew said:

MATATAT said:

Done it. Old school popcorn maker is the best method. However, it takes too much time so I can't be bothered anymore.

Pussy. Cast iron pot over an open fire is the only true way to roast beans.

But yeah, ain't nobody got time for that shit.

• My preferred home brewing method at the moment.
  • I'd rather just drink tea than go through all this bullshit. I'll just stick to drinking my crap auto drip coffee.
  • I'm sorry you can't be bothered to spend five minutes of your day to make a cup of coffee.
  • MATATAT said:

I'd rather just drink tea than go through all this bullshit. I'll just stick to drinking my crap auto drip coffee.

Good tea requires just as much bullshit.

• I'm way lazy with my tea making. Just boil water and use a tea bag.
  • I wasn't going to say this, but I feel like stirring up trouble (pun intended).

All you people drinking youre nasty ass coffee, tea, and alcoholic beverages. It's hilarious how you setup ridiculous chemistry experiments just to get your beverages to taste slightly less like the poison they are.

Why not drink something that is already more delicious than anything that ever came out of your laboratory, like Juice. Take some fruit and squeeze that shit straight into your food hole. Bonus: sugar. Double bonus: not poison.
  • Andrew said:

I'm sorry you can't be bothered to spend five minutes of your day to make a cup of coffee.

Rym said:

MATATAT said:

I'd rather just drink tea than go through all this bullshit. I'll just stick to drinking my crap auto drip coffee.

Good tea requires just as much bullshit.

When it all pretty much tastes the same to me then it doesn't really matter does it?

Sometimes ignorance can be bliss.
  • Apreche said:

Bonus: sugar. Double bonus: not poison.

I snorted.