This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of your Boo-Yah (and vica-versa)

Comments

• Oh man, I get that with tortilla chips sometimes -- it's horrible.
    I cut my mouth almost every time I eat fresh tortilla chips, but I eat them anyway.
    Also the added salt doesn't help as well :{
  • Especially when a chip sliver is a pretty good intravenous salt delivery system...
  • Booyah!: I got out of Jury duty!
    Fail: It was postponed to a school week.
    You can likely get out of it again if you are a student with scheduled classes on that date.
    You can likely get out of it again if you are a student with scheduled classes on that date.
    Not that I wanna shirk on my civic duty, but that's the plan.
  • Win - One of the two books my housemate got his girlfriend Ben Goldacre's "Bad Science" book for her birthday.
    Fail - The other one is a book by a Famous psychic about Psychic Transference and why it's all totally real, man, like woah, far out. Good brownies.
  • Depression attack.
    Fail: I feel like everything I do is hopeless and life is no longer worth living. Motivation to do even basic tasks is gone.
    On the up side: Feel emotionally blank so I'm not worrying about things. Even if I feel sad, it feels nowhere as strong as normal sadness.
  • Aww, Omnu. Gambare!
    You are an important and good person, and your cat loves you.
  • I feel like everything I do is hopeless and life is no longer worth living. Motivation to do even basic tasks is gone.
    Proof Omnu is Unquestionably effective - I'm not in Jail, Dead, or somewhere between the two. Seriously, He's kept me level, (mostly)Sensible, and both Mentally and physically healthy. I got more time for this guy than even quite a few people in my family, and he's given me more time and effort than anyone has for a hell of a long time.
  • I don't really know you Omnutia, but you seem to me like a pretty cool guy. Stay cool. Be level.
  • Omnutia, there is always a light at the end of the tunnel. And if there is not such end, then you punch your way out of that cave!
  • Boo-yah!: My band is setting up its first gig for the end of February.
    Fail: One band member announced that he refuses to play for free except when helping a charity.

As this is our first gig we are using it mostly to rehearse our set with an audience and have a bit of fun. The guy in question is a professional musician and I understand the reasoning behind his principal, but we are a band that is only playing original music. We don't do covers. Our only hope of developing any kind of following is to get the music out there by playing any gigs that have a decent venue for the kind of music we make and in using any profits we might happen to make to produce some decent recordings. It was pretty clear from the beginning that the band was in it to make music that we enjoyed and that money wasn't an issue as long as we weren't having to go in debt to make the music.

Moreover, he is essentially saying that he would rather continue to play around in a basement studio "rehearsing" than go out and play some tunes. It is a bit silly all-in-all. Once the member of the band that negotiates gigs convinced him that he would always take paying gigs over non-paying gigs and that he always has and will push for payment of some kind (as he has with his other band), the guy relented somewhat. Unfortunately, he made some other statements that have us all concerned about his expectations and attitudes for the future.
  • Intra-band-member conflicts are always fails.
  • @KATE:

1st: CONGO RATS!!!!!! ^_^ When and where are you guys playing?

2nd: That sucks.
  • Fail: One band member announced that he refuses to play for free except when helping a charity.
    Two guys in my old band started trying to pull that kind of shit, and we promptly booted them in favor of two guys who were vastly technically inferior, but vastly attitudinally superior. Our band's popularity took off pretty much immediately.
  • Booh-yah: Finished assembling a bunch of orkz. They are made for fighting and winning.
    Fail: Priming them in my garage. It stinks of toulene and acetone, will likely give me a headache, and the can of primer reads "EXTREME DANGER."
  • "EXTREME DANGER."
    of fire. I mean don't get me wrong, it's not good to breathe that crap, but it's highly flammable.
  • edited January 2010
    "EXTREME DANGER."
    of fire. I mean don't get me wrong, it's not good to breathe that crap, but it's highly flammable.
    Oh yeah, I know, but the warnings of "neurological and brain interaction/damage" are more than a little worrisome. However, I know that I'm not using enough of it to hurt myself in the long run.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Fail: One band member announced that he refuses to play for free except when helping a charity.
    I could understand if he refused a "pay to play" gig, but that's just stupid.
    I could understand if he refused a "pay to play" gig, but that's just stupid.
    Well, he is a professional musician. If he performed without getting paid, it essentially devalues his work and the work of other musicians. At the same time, he is living in lala-land if he thinks that is a reasonable attitude within the context of this particular band.
  • If he performed without getting paid, it essentially devalues his work and the work of other musicians.
    Professional musicians playing gratis is no different than what almost every open source developer in the world does. ^_~
  • "EXTREME DANGER."
    Oh yeah, I know, but the warnings of "neurological and brain interaction/damage" are more than a little worrisome. However, I know that I'm not using enough of it to hurt myself in the long run.
    A little exposure is too much exposure, get a respirator, they are cheap, look for "Organic vapor filters" shouldn't be more than $30, that's cheap for good lungs and a healthy nervous system.
  • If he performed without getting paid, it essentially devalues his work and the work of other musicians.
    Professional musicians playing gratis is no different than what almost every open source developer in the world does. ^_~
    That, in and of itself, is an act of charity. You are doing it to help or aid a cause.
  • Well, he is a professional musician. If he performed without getting paid, it essentially devalues his work and the work of other musicians. At the same time, he is living in lala-land if he thinks that is a reasonable attitude within the context of this particular band.
    Well, he is a professional musician, but you are not in a "for profit" professional band. You might get paid from time to time, but if the purpose of the band is just to chill and play, you are not giving away anything and it doesn't devalue his work either.
  • That, in and of itself, is an act of charity. You are doing it to help or aid a cause.
    OSS is no more or less of a cause than making free live music at a bar is. I'd argue that all free play is charity, and thus OK by his own rule.
  • edited January 2010
    That, in and of itself, is an act of charity. You are doing it to help or aid a cause.
    OSS is no more or less of a cause than making free live music at a bar is. I'd argue that all free play is charity, and thus OK by his own rule.
    Yes. Just tell him he is bettering the world by sharing his glorious gift ^_~
    Post edited by Sail on
  • A little exposure is too much exposure, get a respirator, they are cheap, look for "Organic vapor filters" shouldn't be more than $30, that's cheap for good lungs and a healthy nervous system.
    That's valid. I've already gone through epilepsy, I don't need any more trouble.
  • That, in and of itself, is an act of charity. You are doing it to help or aid a cause.
    Except are they looking to make money off that same or similar code in the future? Do they make money by coding in their profession and would giving their code away for free possibly injure or devalue the future of their livelihood?
  • edited January 2010
    would giving their code away for free possibly injure or devalue the future of their livelihood?
    My knowledge is going to be more limited than Rym's, but I can not think of one instance where a programmer who made a great piece of OSS did not become more famous and more respected because of it.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Except are they looking to make money off that same or similar code in the future?
    If you give it away once, you can never make money directly off of it again (except from idiots). It's in many ways a worse situation than with musicians. Imagine if, by performing live once, your perfect live performance were now available in every bar forever for free with no discernible difference from the original.

Performing music for free devalues the profession of musician in the same way that volunteering at a soup kitchen devalues the profession of "soup server."