This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of your Boo-Yah (and vica-versa)

Comments

• Garlic Powder is what the recipe calls for :-p I didn't make it up.
    Recipes are like assholes...
  • edited April 2012
    Garlic Powder, minced garlic from the jar, and fresh garlic all have their uses. They function differently and impart different characteristics to food. To dismiss one because another is "better" is silly; one may be better than another for a specific thing, but that does not make it better for all things.

Fresh garlic is the only one of those things that makes me sweat garlic for the next two days, but it's also the best way to get good zing. Minced garlic is nice for a more subdued flavor, and you can still toast it in a pan. Garlic powder is great for dry rubs or casseroles where you need to flavor to distribute super evenly without heavy cooking.

Use your tools to their maximum advantage, yo.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • Garlic powder (or granulated garlic) is a superior choice in a dry rub, for example.

• Garlic powder (or granulated garlic) is a superior choice in a dry rub, for example.

I HAZ READING COMPREHENSHUN!

Also, who would crush fresh garlic on a slice of pizza? That's another place for granulated garlic.
  • There is a marinade I make (pretty typical for the part of Portugal my family comes from) that more or less consists of mixing garlic powder with pimenta moida (basically, crushed red chilli peppers preserved in a mix of vinegar and salt). Really tasty stuff and it works well with nearly any meat -- beef, chicken, pork, etc.

Anyway, boo yah: I'm going to be doing some work for Google (okay, YouTube, technically). Fail: It's just helping my wife with her work for YouTube by copying/pasting (unless I can bang together a script to do it -- haven't seen what it looks like yet) translations for an HTML email campaign she designed for them.
  • Today was the last day of my Chinese class. While it's nice to be done with a tough class, I've taken Chinese for 4 years with the same teacher and mostly the same students, and I'm really going to miss it. It's really been a great class.
  • Boo-Yah: I got promoted to full time
    Fail: Longer hours
    Boo-Yah: Pay raise with the promotion!
    Fail: Still not enough to be considered above "low pay"
  • Booyah/Fail: I caught up on The Order of the Stick.
  • How is that a fail?
  • How is that a fail?
    Nothing more to burn through?
  • How is that a fail?
    Nothing more to burn through?
    Eeyup.
  • edited April 2012
    Boo-yah - I'm in the middle of writing a piece that I feel quite good about so far, I'm on a real run, everything is flowing together just right.

Fail - I know I'm going to cop a lot of shit if it gets published anywhere, thanks to the content: Which you might be able to figure out from the tentative title of "EA wins Worst Company in America "Award", Gaming community, WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?"

Also fail - I'm still shit at writing good headlines, too.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited April 2012
    And now turning a fail into a win, but with some bitter disappointment -

Win: I'm using another large forum workshop the piece, essentially manipulating them into doing my work for me, and in trusting the masses to come up with stupid and insane counterarguments that I simply cannot conceive of(essentially, allowing me to inoculate against them by having the counter-arguments inserted into the article before they have a chance to make them), as well as attacking my weaker points so that I may refine them into their stronger forms. Essentially, they're doing 3/4 of the work in an article about why they are a bunch of complete wankers.

Fail: While I realise that part of the reason I'm so angry about this in the first place is because there are people who think like this, it's still just beggars belief that there are people who genuinely and honestly think like this and believe these things.

Post edited by Churba on
  • Boo-yah; Had a four hour long debate on the merits of the T-34 tank and the role that it played in the Russian front.

Fail; Spent four hours discussing world war 2 tanks.
  • edited April 2012
    Boo-yah; Had a four hour long debate on the merits of the T-34 tank and the role that it played in the Russian front.

Fail; Spent only four hours discussing world war 2 tanks.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • Booyah!: Crazy Roommate came back to get the last few items she had left at the apartment, and most likely won't be coming back at all. She also left me a check for the current electric bill.

Fail: She refused to hand over the key, despite another roommate moving in very soon. She said she'd hand over the key "after the new roommate gets good and settled".

I told her that so long as she has a key, she still has to pay electric. She got huffy, but begrudgingly agreed.
  • Booyah!: Crazy Roommate came back to get the last few items she had left at the apartment, and most likely won't be coming back at all. She also left me a check for the current electric bill.

Fail: She refused to hand over the key, despite another roommate moving in very soon. She said she'd hand over the key "after the new roommate gets good and settled".

I told her that so long as she has a key, she still has to pay electric. She got huffy, but begrudgingly agreed.
    Weird request, but I think you handled that well.
  • edited April 2012
    Booyah!: Crazy Roommate came back to get the last few items she had left at the apartment, and most likely won't be coming back at all. She also left me a check for the current electric bill.

Weird request, but I think you handled that well.
    Why is that a weird request? She jacked our electric bill SO HIGH repeatedly washing her clothes, vacuuming twice a day, running the dishwasher every day, showering twice a day, etc, that I think it's fair that if she wants to keep domain over the house that she keeps the responsibility too. It was such a huge sticking point and I wasn't pleased about monetarily covering her obsessive-compulsive whims.

But thanks. I tried to be as cordial as possible but I kept her within eyeshot at all times. I don't trust her one bit, and it displeases me that she wants a key to a house she doesn't have any real stake in anymore.
    Post edited by Anrild on
  • I meant the fact that she wanted to keep the key until the next person was settled. When I left my shitty house I practically threw the key at my landlady. :P
  • OH yes, that I agree with. I think she has a "it's mine because it's mine" attitude, and she wants to defy me just to piss me off because she gets her jollies that way. She dropped in without telling us she'd be here today too, and then was surprised when I was casually reading on my own couch in my own house and glared at me like I knew she'd be there and was waiting for her.
    I thought she was someone who actually MATTERED, like one of the other two people who have keys to my house...
  • I would recommend changing the locks immediately. I wouldn't be able to sleep if a crazy person had keys to my apartment.
  • Ayup. I did that when I broke up with my ex and he moved out.
  • I would recommend changing the locks immediately. I wouldn't be able to sleep if a crazy person had keys to my apartment.
    This. For serious. Tell the landlord, too.

Absolutely. You let her keep the key, that does not put you under any obligation to ensure that it still opens the doors.

This. For serious. Tell the landlord, too.

• When I was a young'n, I had pretty much only been exposed to oldies music (50's-70's). This was largely because my biggest source of music exposure was the car radio which was under my parent's control. When I DID listen to modern music (90's music), I eschewed it, parroting the same things my parents said: that the lyrics were vapid and the music was unoriginal. That the reason it was so catchy was because we've heard it all before. I didn't like Brittany Spears, I trash talked the boy bands, and ignored the rap. I did all this armed with nothing but ignorance and preconceptions. FAIL.

Now I am older, I have been exposed to a world of culture, and looking back I can see that it was I who was vapid and unoriginal.

I just downloaded the top hits of the 1998 and 1999. I already know the words to a few of the songs and now my mind is open enough to appreciate the music. Some of it is still crap (I'm looking at you Shawn Mullins and Sarah McLachlan) but a lot of it is going on my phone. Boo-yah.
  • The problem with changing the locks is TECHNICALLY, she's signed on the lease until early June, and there's apparently not a way to get her off the lease without her consent. Changing the locks, while compelling, would probably break our lease agreement.
  • Latch and chain?
  • Latch and chain?
    This. And a security doorstop. And tell the landlord, like Pete said. Look into your lease and see if you can change the locks without breaking the agreement.

This seriously isn't okay. Girl kicked a dog, doesn't like you, you've made demands of her, and you've replaced her in the house. She pretty much defines the type of person you don't want having a key to your place.

• Booh Yah: Sleeper train to Bucharest! I'm in a strange, interesting new place (it's like an Eastern European Mexico City), and I got here by a manner of transit that I'd always wanted to take.

Fail: We rode first class, but in a couchette room instead of a four-person bedroom. Basically, that means we were crammed in a compartment with one other guy (thank goodness it wasn't three others), and our couches turned into six little "beds." I use that term loosely; although the supplied pillows and duvets were okay, the cramped quarters and hard nature of our little slabs meant I had an awful night's sleep. The four-person rooms had four beds, double the space of a six-person room, and their furnishings were signficantly nicer.

I won't be taking a sleeper train again unless it's something with proper rooms and berths, ala the Darjeeling Limited, I think.