This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of your Boo-Yah (and vica-versa)

Comments

• Boo-yah; Downloading Arma2 and other expansions.
    Double Boo0yah; Dayz tomorrow.
    Tripple Boo-yah; going on holiday for a week.

Fail; shoulder in a sling for most of next month.
    Double fail; Twinged my fucked shoulder. The pain was immense.
  • edited June 2012
    Boo-yah: Graduation requirements met! (Bachelors of Engineering/Science; majors in Mechatronic Engineering / Mathematics)
    The ceremony is in 3 weeks.
    Fail: I'm still not really sure where I'm going from here.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Fail: Permanent hearing loss that I've likely had since birth.

Boo-Yah: Modern hearing aids are technological wizardry.

Booer-Yah: My insurance pays $3000 towards medically-necessary hearing aids.

Slightly Less Boo-Yah: So my total out of pocket for the hearing aids I'm getting is $760.

Still, that's better than the 3760 retail it would normally cost me - and actually, it would be even higher, since my insurance also negotiates a lower price with the company who makes the hearing aids.
  • Whoa. Do you have a FSA or HSA? Still very cool. A lot of insurance are very strict when it comes to hearing aids.
  • Whoa. Do you have a FSA or HSA? Still very cool. A lot of insurance are very strict when it comes to hearing aids.
    I do have an FSA option, but I don't use it. I don't have enough regular medical expenses for it to have mattered, and my insurance is accepted pretty much everywhere around here - so I usually only have to pay copays.

It'll probably be more useful once I've got dependents. I just don't want to get into a situation where I'd be losing money.

• Booh yah: Just moved into Villanova to teach kids Unity.
    Fail: Villanova has special Ethernet jacks that don't work with normal cables. I have to wait for the tech services to loan me one.
    Fail: Villanova has special Ethernet jacks that don't work with normal cables. I have to wait for the tech services to loan me one.
    Oh hey I am going to be right by Villanova tomorrow to play some board games, care to join?
    Oh hey I am going to be right by Villanova tomorrow to play some board games, care to join?
    Tomorrow night I have to help the kids move in to the dorms and get ready for working the rest of these next two weeks. I might have some scant free time in the morning, but by the afternoon I have team meetings. Another time, dude.
    Tomorrow night I have to help the kids move in to the dorms and get ready for working the rest of these next two weeks. I might have some scant free time in the morning, but by the afternoon I have team meetings. Another time, dude.
    No worries you are in my neck of the woods now, the Villanova event will happen in two weeks but I have the lo-down for a shit ton other board game events in the area.
    Do you mean Unity, the bane and downfall of Ubuntu, or some other Unity?

• I believe he is talking about the Unity game engine.
  • Yeah, it's a game engine. I use the same one.
  • edited July 2012
    Playing with Source film maker, On one hand, I'm possibly both the world's shittiest animator, and I completely understand why animation is a degree, and not a fly-by-night weekend course. I've made nothing worth the time spent to make it so far, and what I just rendered is godawful, not quite as I expected it.

On the other hand...It's an easy consumer-level tool, so I'm not beyond my abilities just figuring shit out, and while I suck shit compared to Emily, Or Poh, or anyone else with actual skill or talent, Not only am I kinda alright for having played with it for two days, I'm doing infinitely better work than someone who doesn't try it at all! And I'm improving! At first, I had the scout just dodging a few rockets, now I've got this janky-ass lookin' cartwheel going on where he grabs the rocket, kinda, if I could actually get it to attach to his hand properly, but I think that's because I'm using the wrong method, and the no-hand cartwheel looks like shit, but I'll work on that, I'll take some reference video. I'll get to that tomorrow, I'm pretty rooted. Maybe I'll go from really shitty fake-looking wirework style, to moderately shitty mildly plausible wirework style. Improvement is still improvement!

I don't think there will ever be a commercial application for this, at least, for me, not for people who know what they're doing and are not total goofball amateurs. But hey, this is turning into a fun hobby, and I guess it's not like everyone who ever picked up a pen or strummed a guitar is a money-making pro! Hobbies are alright.

Edit - I trust y'all to assign fail and boo-yah appropriately.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Yeah, teaching kids the Unity game engine. They seem to be enjoying it so far. We start the coding stuff tomorrow.
  • Boo-yah: Got a super cute kitten over the weekend.
    Fail: Have to keep it in the bedroom to start acclimating it with our current cat. With the current heat wave going through, and thanks to the building planners screwing up with the window situation in that room, the bedroom is hot and stuffy as hell with no chance of relief. Combine that with the kitten prancing about in the middle of the night, I have had terrible sleep the last two nights.

So tired...
  • edited July 2012
    Boo-yeah : My first potential client for 3d artwork! They liked my sample work and are going to be sending me a summary list of the work they want me to do so I can make them a quote on it.

Fail : I have no idea what to charge them! I have absolutely no way to gauge the worth of my time or my work and I have no idea what the standards are for these kinds of things! I should have just asked them what their budget was and quoted 75% of that no matter what it was because I need the work, but I didn't think of that at the time...

ARGH.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • Boo-yeah : My first potential client for 3d artwork! They liked my sample work and are going to be sending me a summary list of the work they want me to do so I can make them a quote on it.

Fail : I have no idea what to charge them! I have absolutely no way to gauge the worth of my time or my work and I have no idea what the standards are for these kinds of things! I should have just asked them what their budget was and quoted 75% of that no matter what it was because I need the work, but I didn't think of that at the time...

ARGH.
    I just recently ran into a similar issue as I am trying to get a freelance job doing a children's book. I recommend picking up this:
    Graphic Artists' Guild Handbook
    It's pretty much the bible for freelance artists looking for a fair pricing guide, from what I hear.
  • Boo-Yah; Finally got DayZ working on my computer.
    Fail; Have no idea on the controls so at the moment I'm sitting in a tractor honking the horn forlornly. It is a lonely life that I have. I also misstook a pier for zombies and got scared.
    Double-Fail; Man does it lag to fuck. I have everything as low as it can go an still its pretty slow.

My current plan is to find fuel and see if I can find contracting work plowing fields.
  • Booyah: Will have the down payment for the car I want.
    Fail: Car I want is not ready for sale yet.
    Booyah: Pretty sure I'll be the first to know when it is though.
  • Boo-yeah : My first potential client for 3d artwork! They liked my sample work and are going to be sending me a summary list of the work they want me to do so I can make them a quote on it.

ARGH.
    I'd say between 11-15 bucks an hour, as this is your first client. Think of how many hours it will take you, roughly, and quote that as the price.
  • Boo-Yah: Dinner in Seattle with ScoJo and company. Met some awesome people and had some laughs. One of the friends had a funny story about Scott Rubin being Scott Rubin while playing games.

Fail: I really wish transporters existed so I can easily travel to the east coast to hang out with these types of peoples. They did have Seattle friends that are totally cool too.

Fail: Apparently Obama is in town which caused a lot of traffic. At first we thought it was an Amber Alert, but we didn't see anything on the reader boards. Thanks, Obama. :P
  • I wish I could teleport to meet people...I miss my convention friends. :(
  • I grow weary of stories of Scott acting like Scott. Tell me about things he does that's out of character.
  • It was more amusing because I just met the girl and for some reason the topic of Rubin came up and the look and reaction was priceless.
  • Fail: Overslept by an hour and a half.
    Boo-Yah: Flextime says it doesn't matter.
    Fail: I actually wanted to leave early today. Oh well.
  • Fail: My older brother once again displayed his massive anger and arrogance to me last night for no fucking reason.

We were planning to cook today, but he was lazy and I was tired. I suggested to him that we could go out to dinner, but instead of taking it as a nice "Let's go have a nice dinner/drive" he took it more as a "I'm getting some of my dues repaid." The conversation sucked because he could only talk about humdrum crap and just about what things make him mad and what things he isn't good at anymore and how he desperately needs a vacation

As we leave from the restaurant, he gets a call from our mutual friend. Who asks him about how his day has been, and my brother gives a slew of insults WHILE I'M DRIVING HIM HOME.

"I know, it's amazing he took me out for once."
    "No, we split the checks. Really surprising"
    "Yeah, if I asked Scott for all the money he owes me, it'd be 10 years of debt."

Now, you can take that as the regular ribbing between brothers. However, considering he took the engagement as more of a "I'm getting my time/food/loneliness quota in" I was pissed the fuck off. Everytime we buy food, it's because he's too lazy to leave the house and gets some and makes me stop whatever I am doing to get him food.

I really need to just stay away from the miserable fuck because he's making me miserable too.

Boo-Yah: The restaurant we went to was Outback Steakhouse, which is what I wanted because I was craving steak. Got a huge ribeye and even got to take some home. It might seem minor, but my god does really good food but you in such a happy mindset. I really felt the anger melting away.
  • He's an older brother. His attitude is fucking wrong as an older brother. This coming from a lifetime long older brother.
  • He's an older brother. His attitude is fucking wrong as an older brother. This coming from a lifetime long older brother.
    Yep.
    Yep.
    Yep.

• edited July 2012
    Being an older brother is a tough job, but it's also one of the most rewarding. Treat your brothers nice, and turn them onto cool stuff, and you have a ready-made geekery party that lives with you.

My brothers and I went to the FLGS yesterday and came back with Small World Underground and an MTG booster box and geeked out all night; I'm the reason my brothers play Euro games. Middle brother bought me dinner at Moto for my birthday, and we talked restaurant ideas all night-- he's the one who got me interested in food.

Except in very rare and saddening circumstances, I can safely say that you have absolutely nothing to gain by treating little siblings like crap. Except for the usual "I love you but you're being an asshole" older brother tough love.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on