This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Your Perfect Office

edited October 2009 in Everything Else
I have only been active on the forum for a few weeks now, so it's possible that this has been discussed over the years, but I didn't see any definitive topic on it. So, I work as a software engineer for a big aerospace company (being in the Seattle area, you can probably guess which one), and as such I am entrenched in the typical "corporate America" cubical office system. Unlike most of my co-workers, who have worked here their whole careers, I have had the fortune of working for four small to mid-size businesses previously, all part-time jobs and internships during high school and college. Going from those environments to a huge company has left a lot to be desired.

As such, I occasionally think of things that I miss from previous jobs or would like to see in a future job (possibly my own business, which is my ultimate goal). To get this thread started, here are few things I want in an office (or company).

1) A nap room - One of my not-so-finest moments involved getting fired from an internship for sleeping on the job. I didn't feel too bad about it, since I made a big mistake in accepting the job in the first place, but it was still frustrating to me since it's something that I can't always help. I know there are a lot of people, perhaps a majority of people, who get tired at work. Coffee is not a cure-all solution. So, whenever I'm feeling sluggish and caffeine fails to get me into gear, I would love to have a closed off room with a cot to just take a short nap. This can also help for people who get headaches from working and just need a break to get rid of it. Easier to do that than take the rest of the day off.

2) Hot water dispenser - I only complain about this because it's something we used to have here. When they announced that they were going to take away our water coolers, the biggest problem I had with it was that I would get my hot water for tea from the coolers. I had to do this since the cafeteria doesn't provide hot water for tea or cocoa (which is just dumb too). I've since resorted to getting water from the tap and heating it up in the microwave, which works, but it's just not the same. It's also annoying to have to bring in cold, filtered water with the coolers gone. Small complaint, but it seemed unnecessary to get rid of them in the first place.

3) Sandwich fridge - Now, I've had a couple jobs where the companies provided free soda in a big fridge, one job where you could get soda for a small charge ($0.50 for a bottle), a couple where it was BYOD, and my current one that has vending machines for stupidly high prices. For a lot of developers, having the free soda, or even the vending machines, is a nice thing. I want better than that (since I don't drink soda anyway). The one thing that I could really use at an office is a fridge dedicated to providing sandwich-making materials. It's a little riskier than soda since meats and cheeses go bad much quicker, but I would surely use it everyday to get my snack on.

These are just some of my ideas. What would you want (that's not a necessity) in your office that would make it better?

Comments

• edited October 2009
    I would like:

1) A free/affordable nursery for children of employees. I don't have kids, but I know this is a boon for parents of either gender. It also creates a great atmosphere.

2) A treadmill work station. Some offices already have these (where you can walk slowly, but constantly as you work).

3) An office gym.

4) A kitchen with paper towels, cutlery, dishes, dishwasher fluid, salt, pepper and milk. We have a decent kitchen and a dishwasher at work, but few of the supplies that would make that convenient. Also, a supply of tissue boxes (as none are provided).

5) A cleaning crew that vacuumed weekly and dusted off work stations daily.

6) The option of having a 30 minute lunch and leaving 30 minutes earlier rather than a required hour.

7) Casual dress code. We used to have one, but it is no more.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • 4) A kitchen with paper towels, cutlery, dishes, dishwasher fluid, salt, pepper and milk. We have a decent kitchen and a dishwasher at work, but few of the supplies that would make that convenient. Also, a supply of tissue boxes (as none are provided).
    Add a stove to that and it'd be perfect.

Our new lab is going to have something that I always wanted in an office: a huddle room. It's a small, secluded office with a table and enough seating for 6 people. It's perfect for small, quiet pow-wows away from the bulk of employees, or as a place to discuss sensitive issues.

I'd like a tight and effective security system. It's a must-have for doing any sensitive work or when dealing with select agents, and right now our building security is somewhat lax. We frequently get people from neighboring offices just wandering around, gawking at things, and it's a huge problem. I'd rather not have to stop for 5 minutes to figure out if someone is supposed to be where they are or not. Just stop giving them access in the first place and everything would be great.

A quality food service establishment in the office would also be a great thing. I've had pretty crummy cafeterias, and now we have a Subway, but I'd like something of a higher caliber, where I can stop by at lunch and get fresh, high-quality food in a very convenient location.
  • A quality food service establishment in the office would also be a great thing. I've had pretty crummy cafeterias, and now we have a Subway, but I'd like something of a higher caliber, where I can stop by at lunch and get fresh, high-quality food in a very convenient location.
    Work in a real city. I could eat lunch out ever day, and never eat at the same place twice. By the time I eat everywhere within walking distance, new places will close and open. Also, there are various food trucks that come and go. You can follow their Twitters and such to find them.
  • edited October 2009
    I don't like the casual dress code so much. Not that I'm overly stuffy about fashion, but people inevitably begin abusing casual dress codes. If I employed people in my perfect office, I'd make them adhere to a film noir dress code. I'd also have lots of venetian blinds.

Our personal accountant owns his office building, so he gets to bring his dog to the office. That would be nice. If I could have an office pet, though, I think I'd an owl. I'd make my secretary tell people it was artificial.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • A quality food service establishment in the office would also be a great thing. I've had pretty crummy cafeterias, and now we have a Subway, but I'd like something of a higher caliber, where I can stop by at lunch and get fresh, high-quality food in a very convenient location.
    Work in a real city. I could eat lunch out ever day, and never eat at the same place twice. By the time I eat everywhere within walking distance, new places will close and open. Also, there are various food trucks that come and go. You can follow their Twitters and such to find them.
    I do work in a real city, but my building is uptown. If I worked in, say, Empire State Plaza, that would be no problem. Even still, I want the option to not have to leave the building to go get a decent lunch. I often have too much to do to take the extra few minutes to walk somewhere, so I'd rather be able to run downstairs, eat a quick lunch, and then get back to work. Then again, I also work too fucking much.
    but people inevitably begin abusing casual dress codes
    How so? As long as someone's not wearing something that's blatantly inappropriate or unsafe for the working environment, what's the big deal?
  • edited October 2009
    but people inevitably begin abusing casual dress codes
    How so? As long as someone's not wearing something that's blatantly inappropriate or unsafe for the working environment, what's the big deal?
    Blatantly inappropriate is what I was talking about. My experience has been that casual dress always seems to lead to people showing up in blatantly inappropriate clothing.

As a pre-emptive statement to the flurry of people posting that they love casual dress codes and have never had a problem with casual dress codes, I will state that I'm sure no one here wears blatantly inappropriate clothing if they have a casual dress code and that casual dress codes are great in theory and bloppity bloppity blah. I work in a bidness where "blatantly inappropriate" might mean something different than your "blatantly inappropriate". For example, it would be blatantly inappropriate for a lawyer to go to court in a T-shirt, cutoff shorts, and flip-flops (actually happened). That's the type of thing that always seems to end up happening when there is a casual dress code.
  • but people inevitably begin abusing casual dress codes
    Blatantly inappropriate is what I was talking about. My experience has been that casual dress always seems to lead to people showing up in blatantly inappropriate clothing.

As a pre-emptive statement to the flurry of people posting that they love casual dress codes and have never had a problem with casual dress codes, I will state that I'm sure no one here wears blatantly inappropriate clothing if they have a casual dress code and that casual dress codes are great in theory and bloppity bloppity blah. I work in a bidness where "blatantly inappropriate" might mean something different than your "blatantly inappropriate". For example, it would be blatantly inappropriate for a lawyer to go to court in a T-shirt, cutoff shorts, and flip-flops. That's the type of thing that always seems to end up happening when there is a casual dress code.
    Well, court is a different story, and yes, that would be blatantly inappropriate. In the law office, though? Unless somebody's ass is hanging out, few things are inappropriate.

I'll admit that it's very different if you have to interact with the public in any capacity. In the lab, we don't talk to anyone outside of the department on a routine basis. Once in a great while, we'll have sales reps swing by, and even less frequently, we give tours or educational sessions to groups of students. 99% of the time, we're interacting with the same people we've known for the past 5 years and nobody else. Now, if you ever have to handle the public, there needs to be a more stringent dress requirement.
  • 4) A kitchen with paper towels, cutlery, dishes, dishwasher fluid, salt, pepper and milk. We have a decent kitchen and a dishwasher at work, but few of the supplies that would make that convenient. Also, a supply of tissue boxes (as none are provided).
    Add a stove to that and it'd be perfect.
    I actually didn't even think about a kitchen, though it was in my mind when I thought of having a sandwich fridge. In other jobs, I used it so little that I don't really even notice that we don't have one here. We have a fridge and microwave, but that's it aside from the cafeterias. But since this is the perfect office, yes, a decked out kitchen with a stove, oven, microwave, and even a toaster would be awesome. I suppose it wouldn't be too much to ask for an outside area with a barbecue, for those special summer lunches.
  • edited October 2009
    I don't like the casual dress code so much. Not that I'm overly stuffy about fashion, but people inevitably begin abusing casual dress codes. If I employed people in my perfect office, I'd make them adhere to a film noir dress code. I'd also have lots of venetian blinds.
    Yeah, except you would be forcing your female employees to wear uncomfortable clothing, uncomfortable makeup, time consuming hair styles, uncomfortable shoes, etc.
    We had a casual dress code and two people violated it (flip flops and ratty sweatshirts). Instead of talking to those people, my boss enforced a business casual dress code. However, he still wears jeans four days out of five and the attorneys frequently wear jeans. This means that the all female support staff (the lowest paid people in the office) must adhere to the dress code, but the 6 male and 1 female attorney can all come in in jeans.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited October 2009
    In the law office, though? Unless somebody's ass is hanging out, few things are inappropriate.

I'll admit that it's very different if you have to interact with the public in any capacity.
    In most offices I've worked in, clients are coming through on a continuous basis. Some insurance defense type places or some big-shot snooty places might not have the volume of clients coming through, but they have their own snooty reasons of snobbiness to dislike casual dress. The only thing worse is when they do have casual dress and somehow manage to still be snooty and snobby about it - as in their shirt costs more than your entire ensemble of topcoat, suit, tie, and shoes.
    Yeah, except you would be forcing your female employees to wear uncomfortable clothing and shoes a lot.
    So? I don't get your point.
  • In most offices I've worked in, clients are coming through on a continuous basis.
    All of our clients are corporations and we only get reps in once or twice per year.
  • Blatantly inappropriate is what I was talking about. My experience has been that casual dress always seems to lead to people showing up in blatantly inappropriate clothing.

As a pre-emptive statement to the flurry of people posting that they love casual dress codes and have never had a problem with casual dress codes, I will state that I'm sure no one here wears blatantly inappropriate clothing if they have a casual dress code and that casual dress codes are great in theory and bloppity bloppity blah. I work in a bidness where "blatantly inappropriate" might mean something different than your "blatantly inappropriate". For example, it would be blatantly inappropriate for a lawyer to go to court in a T-shirt, cutoff shorts, and flip-flops (actually happened). That's the type of thing that always seems to end up happening when there is a casual dress code.
    Sounds to me like the problem is not a casual dress code, but a vague dress code. Just saying "casual dress" is not enough. The dress code needs to be very specific. If you are fine with jeans and sneakers, and not flip-flops, then write that down in the employee handbook specifically. When you leave things open to interpretation with words like "casual" then of course there's going to be people who screw it up. Be specific, and enforce it, and you can set the dress code to be at any level.
  • edited October 2009
    Being specific and enforcing specificity takes time and energy. Everyone knows what is meant by "suit and tie", so it's a lot more cost effective to just make that the code.
  • Blatantly inappropriate is what I was talking about. My experience has been that casual dress always seems to lead to people showing up in blatantly inappropriate clothing.

Sounds to me like the problem is not a casual dress code, but a vague dress code. Just saying "casual dress" is not enough. The dress code needs to be very specific. If you are fine with jeans and sneakers, and not flip-flops, then write that down in the employee handbook specifically. When you leave things open to interpretation with words like "casual" then of course there's going to be people who screw it up. Be specific, and enforce it, and you can set the dress code to be at any level.
    Workplaces could make do by learning from schools which seem to be the masters of elaborating on descriptions of casual dress codes.
  • Hmm, my office has a lot of good things now. The room next door has a shower, which I think I will use even if I am not supposed to, and we have a little IKEA couch I can curl up on if I am tired. We have a massage chair and 2 house plants, and lights. The kitchen is pretty good, and I use the fridge to store my milk and tea, and Ikea bowls to eat my cereal in the morning. We have a hot water pot and a coffee pot and a casual dress code (threadless shirts FTW.)

All and All, I don't think I want to change anything about my work, except my chair, which is cheap and hurts my back.
  • 7) Casual dress code. We used to have one, but it is no more.
    Yeah, except you would be forcing your female employees to wear uncomfortable clothing, uncomfortable makeup, time consuming hair styles, uncomfortable shoes, etc.
    We had a casual dress code and two people violated it (flip flops and ratty sweatshirts). Instead of talking to those people, my boss enforced a business casual dress code. However, he still wears jeans four days out of five and the attorneys frequently wear jeans. This means that the all female support staff (the lowest paid people in the office) must adhere to the dress code, but the 6 male and 1 female attorney can all come in in jeans.
    You can do jeans with business casual; they just have to be nice jeans. Did they actually specify "no jeans" for the office staff?
  • Hmm, my office has a lot of good things now. The room next door has a shower, which I think I will use even if I am not supposed to, and we have a little IKEA couch I can curl up on if I am tired. We have a massage chair and 2 house plants, and lights. The kitchen is pretty good, and I use the fridge to store my milk and tea, and Ikea bowls to eat my cereal in the morning. We have a hot water pot and a coffee pot and a casual dress code (threadless shirts FTW.)

All and All, I don't think I want to change anything about my work, except my chair, which is cheap and hurts my back.
    1: Is your office a luxury office? 2: Are you allowed to buy office chairs of your own to replace the standard default ones you get? I wouldn't know since I don't work in an office or know how what goes on there.
  • edited October 2009
    1: Is your office a luxury office?
    No, it is a tiny little one-room in Soho. It just happens to have a bathroom with a shower for some reason, and a nice little kitchenette that we share with the other units on our floor.
    2: Are you allowed to buy office chairs of your own to replace the standard default ones you get?
    Yes, but I am stingy, and still trying to decide if I want one of those ridiculous rich office chairs like Rym and Scott have. So comfy, but so much money.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • 1: Is your office a luxury office?
    No, it is a tiny little one-room in Soho. It just happens to have a bathroom with a shower for some reason, and a nice little kitchenette that we share with the other units on our floor.
    Perhaps the building was not intended to be used for offices but for actual living spaces, that would explain the shower and the kitchenette.
  • My home is a dual use commercial/domestic property, so I live and work here. It's great! Casual dress for all!
  • Yes, but I am stingy, and still trying to decide if I want one of those ridiculous rich office chairs like Rym and Scott have. So comfy, but so much money.
    Not just comfy, but won't keep gradually grinding your back away. Spring for the chair. Your health is important.
  • My co-op job was a pretty nice place to work. There wasn't a stated dress code anywhere, but most people in marketing (where I was) wore business casual, upper management wore super fancy business, and the IT guys wore jeans, piercings, and crazy hair...

Everything in the vending machines was only a quarter, which was really awesome. The break rooms had lots of free stuff, like 20 flavors of tea (tea bags though, not the fancy loose leaf tea), hot chocolate, oatmeal, and Starbucks coffee with all the fancy add-ins. Plus, people were always having food meetings, and the leftovers would be put in the break room up for grabs. I got free lunch at least twice a week.

Too bad I hated the work. :-\